Brian Roberts misses workout with back spasms

SammyBirdland

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At what point can I resume complaining that the O's didn't make a legitimate push for Adam Dunn?

Not yet. :P What does Dunn bring that would fix any of our problems right now? If Lee can't go, Luke moves to first and we get a good look at Reimold. Dunn affects Brian not at all. Unless you mean Dunn could lead off... which is a total waste of his skills...

Not yet. :P What does Dunn bring that would fix any of our problems right now? If Lee can't go, Luke moves to first and we get a good look at Reimold. Dunn affects Brian not at all. Unless you mean Dunn could lead off... which is a total waste of his skills...

Though he definitely has the OBP, I think he lacks the necessary speed :P

Nah...this is just the kind of thing I was worried about with Lee (I wanted a more permanent 1B solution...so, either Dunn or a young 1B via trade, as opposed to an aging 1B with a recent injury history).

You've definitely brought up the right point, though: if Reimold gets an opportunity in LF and produces, the argument becomes moot. Still, I'd rather have Dunn, Luke and Vlad playing every day (rather than Reimold Vlad and Luke).

Defense be damned :)

From Rotoworld:

Brian Roberts will receive an MRI on his back Monday.

He was originally expected to have it Saturday, but it's evidently been pushed back a couple days. The MRI should go a long way in determining how long Roberts' back injury might sideline him. He insists that the latest episode isn't as serious as the back issues he dealt with last year. Mar 13, 8:58 AM

I guess we should know something by tonight or tomorrow AM.

From Rotoworld:

I guess we should know something by tonight or tomorrow AM.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist... When Lee had his MRI last week we heard the results within about an hour. Came back completely clean. I think the sooner we hear about Brian's the better. The longer it takes, the more we should worry...

Feb 25th is fairly recent. If he can swing a golf club 70-90 times, why can't he play baseball? With his history of back issues, he shouldn't be playing golf at all. He should prepare for a baseball season so he can be an asset to a club that pays him 10MM per yer.

You are completely ridiculous.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist... When Lee had his MRI last week we heard the results within about an hour. Came back completely clean. I think the sooner we hear about Brian's the better. The longer it takes, the more we should worry...
"(Brian) Roberts has an MRI at 3:30. The doctor he's been seeing, he'll see him tomorrow at 9 o'clock when they've got all the pictures and all the stuff to make sure what we're dealing with. We'll have a better idea tomorrow.

From Roch

So yeah, I question why Roberts would be playing golf at all after what he went through last season.

He was doing it to support Jim Johnson and his charity golf tournament in Sarasota. So he was helping a teammate, helping a charity, and strengthening ties to the O's new spring training home.

So while it might not have been the smartest thing to do, I don't think his motivation could be questioned.

Originally Posted by WiredinBmore

Feb 25th is fairly recent. If he can swing a golf club 70-90 times, why can't he play baseball? With his history of back issues, he shouldn't be playing golf at all. He should prepare for a baseball season so he can be an asset to a club that pays him 10MM per yer.

Is he ridiculous. I don't have a problem with guys who hurt their knees playing basketball in the offseason but teams frown upon that kind of stuff. It would be even worse if the player had a history of knee problems.

Now, golf is certainly something that a person with a back problem shouldn't be doing. So yeah, I question why Roberts would be playing golf at all after what he went through last season.

Could be worse. We could allow our players to box. Oh wait.

I still can't believe the Ravens let him box.

He was doing it to support Jim Johnson and his charity golf tournament in Sarasota. So he was helping a teammate, helping a charity, and strengthening ties to the O's new spring training home.

So while it might not have been the smartest thing to do, I don't think his motivation could be questioned.

He could have driven the golf cart.

Or been a beer bi...um...cart dude!

He could have washed the other players' balls.

He could have done a bunch of stuff to participate and yet not put his back at greater risk.

I like BRob, but this and the diving into first base were not his smartest decisions.

Let's be real here... If Brian was healthy coming in, he would be expected to swing a bat. Swinging a golf club is very little different. You have to be careful with him for sure, but he eventually has to step up to the plate. Or tee...

Playing golf was NOT what caused this, or any kind of mistake on Brian's part, or the club's. ;)

Archived