O's vs Royals 5/5

Going Underground

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tillman is testing the scientist's theory on BABIP. He looks like he's tossing pinatas up there.

Tillman just struck out Melky Cabrera on an 86mph fastball. The first pitch to Gordon was a changeup which Joe Angel confused for his fastball.

That ain't good.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Flipping Urias for a bullpen arm with options makes sense. It’s a good conversation. Little is a lefty that throws 100. We’d probably be looking at a Teddy Sharkey type return for Urias. 
    • Obviously this means they'll be on the OD roster!
    • 23. Should have been more selective with my A’s 40 WAR. That got me 12.
    • That’s me, but I am not seeing “A” and “B” teams. For example, Wong and Maton started a home game yesterday.
    • Two developments yesterday that make the lineups interesting to follow. Gunnar came back, and Mullins got hurt. A couple of things to watch for with these lineups… 1. Who moves from the B squad to the CF spot on the A squad while Mullins is hurt?  McKenna and Cowser have been with the B squad to alternate in at CF starts.  2. With Gunnar back do we move Holliday to 2B on the A squad to start to build double play combo chemistry? It might be a week too early for that and young legs might keep making the bus trips away. 
    • Yesterday, 3/4, Kramer’s FB was consistently 93, fwiw. He threw a lot of breaking balls tho, I’d say fewer than  25% FB Akin was 96-97. O’Hearn had a nice throw in from RF to keep a runner on 3rd from attempting to score in the 1st, but then a rather weak-looking one later in the game that barely made it to the second baseman. 
    • Recently, ESPN wrote about 10 young players that scouts are buzzing about so far in spring training. They also included five more to watch. For the Orioles, that Top 10 player was pitcher Cole Irvin. The Orioles have some rotation issues, with an elbow injury to Kyle Bradish and a longer timeline to be ready for the season for John Means. So they have a couple of spots open. Irvin is a prime candidate to help. Irvin didn’t have a great year last season. He went 1-4 with a 4.42 ERA in 24 games, 12 of which which were starts. But he’s not the soft-throwing left-hander who joined the Orioles in 2019. His fastball once topped 90 mph. He reported to Orioles spring training with a 94 mph fastball. He even clocked one on the cusp of 96 mph. Why is that important? Velocity like that is something that few left-handers have, per ESPN. Last year only four threw harder than 96 mph in a game, and one was Cy Young winner Blake Snell. Scouts Buzzing Over O's Lefty in Spring Training (msn.com) Velocity as a LH starter seems to be an extremely rare thing, it will be a big deal if Irvin can maintain this once the season starts.
  • Popular Contributors