We're waiting on ARod

bigbird

According to Joel Sherman's NY Post column yesterday, a number of MLB execs said that's exactly what's going on.

Plus the A-Rod delay. They're both real factors.

As for the sources, I'm sure the Orioles would love to move quickly. The other teams have to agree too, though.

I agree.

It's pretty typical for nothing major to get done at the GM meetings, and this year you've got two separate factors acting to slow things down even further.

Folks just need to be patient. Things won't play out as quickly as you'd like, but they'll play out.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boras is not going to close a deal on ARod anytime soon. It's an all too familiar refrain here in Baltimore, "we're waiting for the (ARod) market to set itself." :cool:

True True

But it takes two to tango err.. trade and if teams are exploring the Arod option there is nothing the Orioles can really do until those teams make up their minds. It's not like Free Agency where the O's can make the first move.

My guess is by the beginning of December a few teams will see how much Arod wants and decided he's not worth/they can't afford it. When that happens then Yes the O's need to be aggressive.

But until then there really is anything they can go short of taking a discounted deal just to move Miggy.

Well, just looking at that agent's history with that same player.....

Source

That's approximately a month-and-a-half and two-and-a-half months respectively after the winter meetings (for those of you scoring at home).

Witchy

Yeah, I was thinking of Kevin Brown. I still think ARod gets done sooner rather than later especially if the Yankees stick to their word and show no interest. I don't think Boras will have as much success this time around getting one team to bid against itself for ARod. At least I hope other GMs learned from Texas' signing of ARod.

Why does everyone think the ARod negotiations are going to be dragged out? My guess is that he'll be signed, sealed and delivered to his next team by December 6th, 2007. Seems to me that Boras' biggest signings occur at the winter meetings. I can't think of why ARod's situation would be any different.

Boras does like to drag things out... especially on named players.

JD Drew signed with Boston 1/2006

Carlos Beltran signed with Mets 1/2005

Magglio Ordonez signed with Tigers 1/2005

Derek Lowe signed with Dodger 1/2005

Ivan Rodriguez signed with Tigers 2/2004

To be far...

Barry Zito sign with Giants 12/2006

Jarrod Washburn signed with Mariners 12/2005

Johnny Damon signed with Yankees 12/2005

Kevin Millwood signed with Rangers 12/2005

Andrian Beltre signed with Mariners 12/2004

What teams are we talking about for ARod? The Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels, maybe the White Sox, Cubs, Phillies? Who else could afford him? Barring a trade for MCab, or signing Lowell, Miggi is the next best option. The longer the wait the more Miggi si likely to cost. Could be some smoke McP is blowing to get one of the Cubs, Phillies, or White Sox, to make a deal now.

I agree, it's stupid to wait. Tejada and A-Rod are 2 totally different things. A-Rod is going to get a crapload of money for 10-12 years. There are only maybe 3-5 teams that could afford to do that. However, 25 of the teams in the MLB would be willing to take Tejada in a fair trade.

This is like waiting for Donald Trump to decide which Bently he wants to buy so we can trade in our Mercedes for 2 Hondas and a Toyota.

I agree, it's stupid to wait. Tejada and A-Rod are 2 totally different things. A-Rod is going to get a crapload of money for 10-12 years. There are only maybe 3-5 teams that could afford to do that. However, 25 of the teams in the MLB would be willing to take Tejada in a fair trade.

This is like waiting for Donald Trump to decide which Bently he wants to buy so we can trade in our Mercedes for 2 Hondas and a Toyota.

No, because most of the 3-5 teams interested in A-Rod also make up the Tejada market.

Most of the other 25 teams aren't interested in either player.

No, because most of the 3-5 teams interested in A-Rod also make up the Tejada market.

Most of the other 25 teams aren't interested in either player.

I disagree.

Only the Devil Rays, Royals, Pirates and Nationals shouldn't have any interest in getting Tejada.

Ever other team in the majors should at least be interested.

Thats the one thing I don't like about Boras, or any of his clients. Yes, he might get them the most money. However, I never ever leave with the perception that the agent works for the player when it comes to him. It was bad enough (and perfectly calculated at the same time) to have Boras come out an announce the availability of A-Rod on national TV. Now 1 person is practically going to put the market at a hault until he signs because teams believe they have a chance at a 300 million dollar player.

What other teams wouldn't want Tejada?

Unless you're trying to dump Miggi for a bag of balls, you should stick to the teams that are actively seeking a shortstop (or possibly a third baseman).

Out of those teams, you have to find the ones willing to pay a guy $26 million for two years.

Out of those teams, you have to find someone with available players that are desirable to the Orioles.

Now, there are dozens and dozens of threads on this board exploring possible and impossible scenarios, but the bottom line is the market for Tejada overlaps significantly with the market for A-Rod.

If the Orioles want to get the best deal, they have to wait for some of A-Rod's suitors to drop out or get left empty handed.

A-Rod doesn't have to be signed, sealed and delivered for teams to turn their attention to Tejada. Once some opening bids for A-Rod become known, several teams will conclude the price is already too rich for their blood, and thenthey'll be ready to talk about Tejada. If anything, other teams are probably telling the O's they want to see what happens with A-Rod as a ploy to get the Orioles to lower their asking price to move him quickly.

Archived