Mark Reynolds

webbrick2010

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if the CWS fans are crying every night about Dunn while he gets use to another league?

As bad as he is right now, he needs some time. He is hard to watch, but he will get it going. I hope.

Good point. I think the struggling because of switch of leagues is BS. With free agency and interleague everybody's seen everybody just about.

But it is interesting that 2 guys of the 3 true outcome variety are both struggling badly. They're numbers are almost exactly the same. Maybe these types have a harder time adjusting. Why? I have no idea.

Watching Mark Reynolds try to hit a baseball makes me feel better about my own abilities.

Which are ??? Now that you´ve put yourself out there, you really should tell us all exactly what you do so well, and why you are so proud of it in comparison to Mark Reynolds and his profession.

We traded a 25 year old pitcher under team control for 5 years with a power arm 95-100 mph fastball and a AAA depth reliever for a hack 3B who can usually be counted to strikeout except when there are runners on first and second and one out in a one run game in the 8th where he rises to the occasion to hit into a double play.

And get this we have to pay him 5 million this year, and 7.5 million in 2012 and then mercifully we can buy him out for 500K in 2013.

It'll be a challenge for Hernandez to keep his ERA under Reynolds Avg but he has him right now 1.67 ERA to Reynolds .169 Avg.

And we could have paid Josh Bell 400K for better production with Hernandez and Mikilio in the bullpen.

What a trade by McPhail

If every trade was guaranteed to work out immediately with no risk and no possibility of failure, well, I'd assume you're playing in a Rotisserie league for 7-year-olds.

Oh, and for when you get around to the inevitable "here's the other side of the trade" you could mention stuff like Hernandez is 26, is just getting established in the majors, walks almost five men per nine, and doesn't even average a strikeout an inning. While Reynolds had 76 homers over his last two seasons, received and deserved MVP votes in 2009, and is 13th in the entire major leagues in homers since his rookie season. Among the long list of players who have fewer home runs than Reynolds since 2007 are Vlad, Justin Morneau, Matt Holliday, David Ortiz, Hanley Ramirez, Jose Bautista, Troy Tulowitzki, Jayson Werth, and Luke Scott.

There seem to be some interesting things at play with Reynolds. I honestly thought he was going to bounce back pretty strong this year.

You could easily argue his HR/FB rate will jump back to his career levels soon, which is almost 150% of his career average.

His BABIP last year was 257. So far this year he's hit 3% more line drives and is looking at a 224 BABIP. I think there is some bad luck going on there. That's a positive trend in terms of LD's and should have resulted in a better BA.

He's got better contact rates across the board, particularly inside the zone, up 6%. And at some point I think this will pay off.

The bottom line is that Reynolds is also 27 though. I think Reynolds might just be going through a really unlucky stretch.

So, watching another person fail makes you feel better about yourself....Classy.
Which are ??? Now that you´ve put yourself out there, you really should tell us all exactly what you do so well, and why you are so proud of it in comparison to Mark Reynolds and his profession.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but wasn't he being sarcastic? Sheesh, lay off the guy.

Josh Bell needs to stay in the minors and re-learn the strike zone, though he at least seems to be coming around bat-wise the last 10 games or so (.289 BA, 3 HR, a triple and a double to go with that 13/1 K/BB ratio).

Mix in some Andino at 3b. I'm just sick and tired of all of it. If you're not hitting then sit down and I don't care if your name is Markakis or Roberts or Lee or whoever else.

The Vikings had no problem sitting Adrian Peterson when he got fumblitis. I know that guys need to work through their troubles, but at some point a day or two off might not be a bad idea.

Reynolds is a bit of an enigma..he is not a good hitter, but he has a reasonable eye at the plate (I believe he was the team leader in walks prior to yesterdays game). Some here were saying his pitches/plate appearance was of value to the team, but if you strike out 200 times you are going to average more than 3 per AB. His RBI number is not terrible.

BUT, he looks truly frustrated. I don't know if the O's are trying to change his approach. If so, it's not working well. Didn't Brady work with him? Apparently to no avail.

His defense?? Well, any statement that he is above average is a bit of a stretch. If we had last year's 1st basemen, no one would dare say average.

I do like Reynolds..he is not complacent, tries hard and seems to be a good team guy. There is no one on the farm that could help IMO. Here's hoping the ball starts hitting the bat more frequently.

Archived