Stark: Lots of teams interested in Guthrie?

ChaosLex

Ideally, I believe that Guthrie and Scott should be moved. However, I also believe that they are worth more value to us than they are on the trade market. Teams aren't exactly salivating over these guys like they were over Bedard. I can't see us getting an equal or better return on either one of them. I can completely understand if AM is turning down the "Josh Bell" or "Wynn Pelzer" offers he undoubtedly receives.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Andy would move him if we're out of the race in July, but what's the rush? Not sure I see the logic of any hand-wringing over this.

Yep... there's no need to move him unless someone makes us an offer we have to take. If we don't move him this year, we still have control next year. If we don't move him next year, we get draft picks. There's absolutely no reason to move him right now unless someone blows us away. That said, I do think we will (or already have) receive some proposals that might merit discussion.

Yep... there's no need to move him unless someone makes us an offer we have to take. If we don't move him this year, we still have control next year. If we don't move him next year, we get draft picks. There's absolutely no reason to move him right now unless someone blows us away. That said, I do think we will (or already have) receive some proposals that might merit discussion.

So, getting a fair and good offer for him isn't good enough for you? We have to be blown away?

So, getting a fair and good offer for him isn't good enough for you? We have to be blown away?

It depends on what the "fair and good" offer is. All I'm saying is that moving him simply to move him would be foolish.

I think you're reading WAYYYYY too much into what I wrote. I never said anyone said we need to move him just to move him. All I'm saying is that there's no need to move him right now because if we move him for a very good return, great. If not, we get another year out of him and another chance to move him if we get a very good return, if we don't get a very good return next year, we get draft picks.

That is ALL I was saying. You read way too far into it. If we get a fair offer, great.. we should consider it (just not automatically take it). The fall back is the draft picks.... so even if we don't get a return directly from a Guthrie trade, we'll get a return via the draft.

I think you're reading WAYYYYY too much into what I wrote. I never said anyone said we need to move him just to move him. All I'm saying is that there's no need to move him right now because if we move him for a very good return, great. If not, we get another year out of him and another chance to move him if we get a very good return, if we don't get a very good return next year, we get draft picks.

That is ALL I was saying. You read way too far into it. If we get a fair offer, great.. we should consider it (just not automatically take it). The fall back is the draft picks.... so even if we don't get a return directly from a Guthrie trade, we'll get a return via the draft.

Draft picks aren't a definite and assuming so is wrong.

Draft picks aren't a definite and assuming so is wrong.

OK... lemme rephrase... we PROBABLY get draft picks. How's that?

Again, my point is... we don't simply have to move Guthrie at the first decent offer. There will be other offers out there. We can be picky.

OK... lemme rephrase... we PROBABLY get draft picks. How's that?

Again, my point is... we don't simply have to move Guthrie at the first decent offer. There will be other offers out there. We can be picky.

Being picky is fine...Being picky to the point where you overread the market, ask for too much and then end up not moving him is foolish.

I think that the draft will have some influence here as well.

If I was AM and I got Cole in the draft I'd have no problem trading off Guthrie. And honestly if we got Rendon I'd be less concerned about our offenses depth.

If we get Bundy, I'm a bit more likely to hold onto Guthrie. Same with Starling. Then we keep a solid 4 SP Arrieta/Matusz/Britton for the time being.

I don't necessarily think that's the best way to handle the situation, but it doesn't seem completely unjustified to me either.

But yeah...I'm definitely on board to trade this guy. And it sounds like AM is already getting calls so he shouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on this one. The fact that he wants too much might just be his way of partially trying to drive up the price here too.

If that's your definition of "fair and good", then I understand your posts from earlier because I would consider that a complete steal and foolish for us to turn down.

I could see them offering Alonso and Cozart OR Boxberger.... but not both.

Archived