Hobgood to Throw Live BP Tomorrow (6/4)

RVAbird

Matt_Hobgood48 Matt Hobgood

Pretty pumped to throw my first live BP tomorrow. Going to be good to get back on the mound against hitters. #orioles #stoked #cantwait

Hopefully the first step to a nice recovery.

The young righty has been much-maligned, but I'm rooting for a big turnaround. If he comes back strong in the second half with low-to-mid 90s velo, there will be a place waiting for him on the top 10 list.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully the first step to a nice recovery.

The young righty has been much-maligned, but I'm rooting for a big turnaround. If he comes back strong in the second half with low-to-mid 90s velo, there will be a place waiting for him on the top 10 list.

It certainly would be nice to see any signs of encouragement from him. To date, he's looked like a tremendous flop. He most likely will never justify his draft status. But, he obviously had the upside to get some people excited. Here's to hoping he can re-kindle some of that excitement and prove to be a serviceable pitcher.

It certainly would be nice to see any signs of encouragement from him. To date, he's looked like a tremendous flop. He most likely will never justify his draft status. But, he obviously had the upside to get some people excited. Here's to hoping he can re-kindle some of that excitement and prove to be a serviceable pitcher.

Isn't this more hyperbole than fact? I don't have the stats before me but didn't he advance a bit his second year? He wasn't Chris Smith bad (which would be a tremendous flop).

I hope he stayed fit during the hiatus and we see some good things as RVA said. I recently drove by the sign for Norco, CA (near Sangar, who I also met) and thought a bit about Matt. Good luck on the comeback trail!

Isn't this more hyperbole than fact? I don't have the stats before me but didn't he advance a bit his second year? He wasn't Chris Smith bad (which would be a tremendous flop).

I hope he stayed fit during the hiatus and we see some good things as RVA said. I recently drove by the sign for Norco, CA (near Sangar, who I also met) and thought a bit about Matt. Good luck on the comeback trail!

He wasn't bad per se, but he posted K-rates in the 5's through 29 starts at the lowest levels of the minors. Not only is that disappointing for a top 10 pick, it doesn't bode well for anyone's future success.

The silver lining to this, however, is that he pitched to mid-4 ERAs with stuff sitting 86-88 MPH. I have to believe that the shoulder injury was responsible for at least some of the velo loss. Poor conditioning exaggerated the low velo and accelerated the injury, but the bottom line is that the Matt Hobgood who has pitched in the Orioles system is not the Matt Hobgood who won the Gatorade player of the year out of high school.

There's no physical projection left, which is why he needs to show the stuff he showed in high school ASAP. But, if he comes back with velo in the 90s, he could still become a solid mid-rotation arm. He'd have an above average FB to go along with a plus curve and solid GB tendencies.

I'm anxious to get a look at him once he is "healthy."

He was a top 5 pick and he's done nothing except lose velocity. Even before he was hurt, he didn't show any of the promise that was anticipated. I don't think it's hyperbole at all.

He wasn't bad per se, but he posted K-rates in the 5's through 29 starts at the lowest levels of the minors. Not only is that disappointing for a top 10 pick, it doesn't bode well for anyone's future success.

The silver lining to this, however, is that he pitched to mid-4 ERAs with stuff sitting 86-88 MPH. I have to believe that the shoulder injury was responsible for at least some of the velo loss. Poor conditioning exaggerated the low velo and accelerated the injury, but the bottom line is that the Matt Hobgood who has pitched in the Orioles system is not the Matt Hobgood who won the Gatorade player of the year out of high school.

There's no physical projection left, which is why he needs to show the stuff he showed in high school ASAP. But, if he comes back with velo in the 90s, he could still become a solid mid-rotation arm. He'd have an above average FB to go along with a plus curve and solid GB tendencies.

I'm anxious to get a look at him once he is "healthy."

He was a top 5 pick and he's done nothing except lose velocity. Even before he was hurt, he didn't show any of the promise that was anticipated. I don't think it's hyperbole at all.

I'll go with the injury card then. I'll agree with "disappointment" but then again I'm just "parsing" as El Gordo puts it. My memory is short and I thought before the velo declined, he did show something but I am old. If the velo returns, we may have more than a flop. And no Stotle, we don't need more of your hoo haa ( ;-) ).

Even before he was hurt, he didn't show any of the promise that was anticipated.

I'm not sure why you're jumping to the conclusion that he wasn't hurt when he was pitching 5-10 mph slower than he did in HS. I agree with RVAbird on this one. I certainly hope it's true.

I have to believe that the shoulder injury was responsible for at least some of the velo loss.

Let's hope all goes well and he can get some innings in before the season's over. I'm still holding out hope with the rest of the beating hearts of Oriole Nation that he'll get things turned around.

Just thought that I'd add the obvious qualifier to your feelings.

Matt needs to get with Bartolo's doctor before that surgery becomes illegal. Heck, maybe he can ask them to just use some of Bartolo's stem cells if there were some leftover.

Somatropin. That is the stuff they give you to help with the recovery and can't be detected other than with a CBA excluded blood test.

Archived