MacPhail is keeping mum about his future with the club

ChaosLex

Andy is the only GM Angelos has ever trusted. Those other guys won't come here knowing the owner is likely to kneecap them at any time. And I didn't say Cal would be a GM. I just said it's one more year until he can get involved. Then you might see a quality GM that is willing to take a chance to come here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andy is the only GM Angelos has ever trusted. Those other guys won't come here knowing the owner is likely to kneecap them at any time. And I didn't say Cal would be a GM. I just said it's one more year until he can get involved. Then you might see a quality GM that is willing to take a chance to come here.

How often do expect star players become GMs. Second how many of those turn out to be top notch Gms? Not saying he cant make it happen...But the odds aren't in his favor.

How often do expect star players become GMs. Second how many of those turn out to be top notch Gms? Not saying he cant make it happen...But the odds aren't in his favor.

From what I've heard in interviews and his radio show, Cal is pretty conservative himself, so I'm not sure we'd even want him to be GM. Better that he just have a figurehead type of role.

Where in that quote of my post does anybody read "Cal will be the GM?" I never said it. Never wrote it. I simply said that it would be a year till he can be involved.By that I implied why make a dramatic change in GMs until that happens.

The second implication of my post is that a respected GM might come to Baltimore if Cal is a buffer between the owner and GM.

I did not. Have not. And, will not ever say that Cal should, would, or could be the GM. Now. Is that clear?

Almost 0% chance that MacPhail is not the GM in 2012. The only way that occurs is if the 2nd half of 2011 is similar to the 1st half of 2010.

MatthewW has been reliable in the past. I'm hoping he's right instead of you obviously. You forget even though Angelos wants him back (and you as well) he himself may not want to come back.

He wants to come back, and will not want to leave until there has been viable improvement in the standings. This is the dream job, not MLB Commish... and Selig is not leaving his post anytime soon.

And you know this how?

MacPhail walked away from the Cubs, so he can walk away from the Orioles as well...

If this his dream job he isnt really acting like it. Not making any bold moves or anything. Just ho hum status quo crap.

Yeah and his legacy will be having one of the worst records and winning % for a GM of his tenure in franchise history.

Other GMs didn't have the leash to fail as often as MacPhail did.

As has already been mentioned, Angelos has trusted AM enough to apparently allow him to be the GM without interference. Will a new GM get that same trust, or will Angelos start meddling again?

The O's used to have a well-respected GM, Pat Gillick. He was replaced by a highly thought of Frank Wren. But Angelos would not allow either of them to be what they were hired to be, the General Manager of the Orioles.

With AM as the GM, the results have not been what we would have hoped for. There has, however, been progress. While there may not be any superstars in the O's minor league system, there is more talent there than there was before AM was hired. The O's finally have a real major league manager, rather than guys like Mazzilli, Perlozzo and Trembles.

So there has been progress under AM, but there could have been more. But how much progress will be there be if there is a new GM in title only?

There is really no reason for AM to publicly announce whether he wants to be back as the O's GM. I wouldn't want other teams' GM's that might want to make trades with the O's knowing that they are dealing with a lame-duck GM. If AM wants to announce in September that he will not be back, that would be OK. That would give Angelos time to make a list and start to evaluate prospective candidates. That would also give the O's a chance to have a new GM in place in time for GM meetings.

I didn't have time to contribute to this thread when it was current, so I'm bumping it rather than start another. Anyway, it's just a little perspective.

AM took over on June 20, 2007 and from 6/21/07-6/20/11 was the Orioles' GM for 646 games. The record during that time was 270-376.

During the 646 games immediately prior to 6/21/07 the team went 290-356, or 20 games better over the same length of time.

I really, really don't want to add to the chorus of whining that's become all too pervasive but I can't resist saying I find it more than a little sad that there is any question of AM's return, much less an opportunity for actual consideration on his part. To me it is supremely galling that he is allowed to talk as if he were holding all the cards here - that he can take his time, consider his options, etc, etc. without the slightest question on the subject of accountability.

I didn't have time to contribute to this thread when it was current, so I'm bumping it rather than start another. Anyway, it's just a little perspective.

AM took over on June 20, 2007 and from 6/21/07-6/20/11 was the Orioles' GM for 646 games. The record during that time was 270-376.

During the 646 games immediately prior to 6/21/07 the team went 290-356, or 20 games better over the same length of time.

I really, really don't want to add to the chorus of whining that's become all too pervasive but I can't resist saying I find it more than a little sad that there is any question of AM's return, much less an opportunity for actual consideration on his part. To me it is supremely galling that he is allowed to talk as if he were holding all the cards here - that he can take his time, consider his options, etc, etc. without the slightest question on the subject of accountability.

He also stated when he took over that the entire system was in a much worse position then he could have imagined. He openly stated that it was going to take time, and I'm almost positive that he said it would be every bit of a five year overhaul. I know we have posters on this board who think they could have flipped the O's into contenders in six months because they traded Felix Pie for Albert Pujols and Chris Carpenter in their fantasy league, but its a bit different when the guy on the other end of the deal isn't some dude living in his mothers basement. I'm not saying I want AM back, nor am I saying I'm satisfied with what he has done. What I am saying, is that he openly told the fans that this was not going to happen over night, and to expect something real after about five years. Feel free to go back to the million quotes he gave when he was hired four years ago.

He also stated when he took over that the entire system was in a much worse position then he could have imagined. He openly stated that it was going to take time, and I'm almost positive that he said it would be every bit of a five year overhaul. I know we have posters on this board who think they could have flipped the O's into contenders in six months because they traded Felix Pie for Albert Pujols and Chris Carpenter in their fantasy league, but its a bit different when the guy on the other end of the deal isn't some dude living in his mothers basement. I'm not saying I want AM back, nor am I saying I'm satisfied with what he has done. What I am saying, is that he openly told the fans that this was not going to happen over night, and to expect something real after about five years. Feel free to go back to the million quotes he gave when he was hired four years ago.

I'd prefer to go back 5 years...

"This is the first thing I've ever done in baseball that I didn't have a high level of success at," MacPhail said, his voice cracking[...]

There is one rule that applies to everything. You've got to win and if you don't win, it's subject to change."

Here

Archived