Britton sent down

BaltBound

The stink that was made at the time he was called up was so overreactionary. The O's were always going to find a way to get that extra year from Britton. The only way we weren't going to get the extra year was if he was pitching well and we were contending. The odds of both of those things happening were extremely slim.

*raises hand* Guilty.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Say goodbye to Britton. You might see him pitch in Baltimore one or two times more. But after that he’ll soon be bouncing around MLB teams and will never be the same. His confidence and self-assurance are now shot

humerusp.jpg

Well, I am shocked by this but it appears they were going to go with the plan for him that I said on here the other day, so I am at least glad they were using their heads there.

That being said, the unfortunate part of this was that we basically had to hope for him to be bad to get sent down.

I am very surprised this happened because quite frankly, I didn't expect him to be this bad.

This is a good thing though and here's hoping they actually leave him down for 20 days.

The question I have is when will he next start a game in AAA? If he is just back up here in 10-15 days, then this is a pretty dumb move.

The stink that was made at the time he was called up was so overreactionary. The O's were always going to find a way to get that extra year from Britton. The only way we weren't going to get the extra year was if he was pitching well and we were contending. The odds of both of those things happening were extremely slim.

Disagree...If he was still pitching well, no way he gets sent down, regardless of whether or not they were in contention.

However, over his last 8 starts, he has gone 6 or more IP twice..he has only had 2 QS in that time and has given up 30 runs in the just under 40 IP he has thrown and he has given them virtually no chance to win in 4 of those starts.

So, I can see why they want to send him down but you have to do this for at least the 20 days..otherwise, this is a pointless move. Also, it would help if he only got 2 starts or so in that 20 day stretch, to keep him around longer at the end of the season.

But no way he is sent down if he was pitching well. If he was going out and give them good starts a big majority of the time, like he was in the beginning of the season, he stays on the team.

Well, I am shocked by this but it appears they were going to go with the plan for him that I said on here the other day, so I am at least glad they were using their heads there.

That being said, the unfortunate part of this was that we basically had to hope for him to be bad to get sent down.

I am very surprised this happened because quite frankly, I didn't expect him to be this bad.

This is a good thing though and here's hoping they actually leave him down for 20 days.

The question I have is when will he next start a game in AAA? If he is just back up here in 10-15 days, then this is a pretty dumb move.

I think a bad run like this was fairly predictable. Too many balls in play and nowhere near enough precision inside the strikezone. As I wrote earlier this year, the raw stuff is great, and the upside is a #2 starter. But he's a ways away from there right now.

Britton is pitching on June 15, 20, and possibly 25th at Bowie. He will be back on the 30th to play against the Yankees.

Britton is pitching on June 15, 20, and possibly 25th at Bowie. He will be back on the 30th to play against the Yankees.

Well that's pretty dumb. I mean, if the idea is to try to keep him around later than this isn't the way to do it...at least not the third start. That's the issue I have.

I think a bad run like this was fairly predictable. Too many balls in play and nowhere near enough precision inside the strikezone. As I wrote earlier this year, the raw stuff is great, and the upside is a #2 starter. But he's a ways away from there right now.

I wasn;t clear what I meant.

What I didn't see coming was an outing like the other day. If that outing was 5 IP and 3 runs, he isn't sent down IMO.

But because that outing was so awful and the most of his recent outings have been mediocre at best, he gets sent down.

The mediocre run isn't surprising but the 8 runs in .2 IP is.

I wasn;t clear what I meant.

What I didn't see coming was an outing like the other day. If that outing was 5 IP and 3 runs, he isn't sent down IMO.

But because that outing was so awful and the most of his recent outings have been mediocre at best, he gets sent down.

The mediocre run isn't surprising but the 8 runs in .2 IP is.

Eh, I don't agree, but it's not a point with debating. Bottom line is he needs to miss more bats and command better in the zone.

Well that's pretty dumb. I mean, if the idea is to try to keep him around later than this isn't the way to do it...at least not the third start. That's the issue I have.

They have to clear a certain number of days in the minors to get that extra year of control. He'll have limited IP in all of his starts to keep the innings down. You said it yourself they'll either have to sit him in September or move him to the pen at some point. This kind of fixes that problem, or at least helps it.

Eh, I don't agree, but it's not a point with debating. Bottom line is he needs to miss more bats and command better in the zone.

No question about that. That has been the case for most of the season.

But they aren't sending him down to figure that stuff out if he was still pitching decent. Not like he is going to learn much in a few weeks anyway.

They have to clear a certain number of days in the minors to get that extra year of control. He'll have limited IP in all of his starts to keep the innings down. You said it yourself they'll either have to sit him in September or move him to the pen at some point. This kind of fixes that problem, or at least helps it.

They could have set it up where he only had 2 more starts this month...I went over this the other day and according to the article, they were going to have him be the 5th starter after the break, which made sense.

By doing this, you basically allow him to be here until about mid September.

By giving him that third start in the minors, it means there is a good chance he loses 1 or maybe 2 starts in Sept that he could have up here.

They need to limit him to 2 MiL starts and keep him down the 20 days in the minors.

I'm glad everything is dumb to you :rolleyes:

The start this Friday is only slated to be three innings. The other starts may be the same.

No question about that. That has been the case for most of the season.

But they aren't sending him down to figure that stuff out if he was still pitching decent. Not like he is going to learn much in a few weeks anyway.

Yeah, I'm not arguing he should be sent down to fix anything. I also wrote that there is no reason he can't learn what he needs to at the ML level. But I think expectations for him were to high for this year and I also think way too many posters were wilfully ignoring issues of Britton's and just falling back on the ERA and hype.

Again, he's got nasty raw stuff and big upside. Just isn't there yet.

Archived