Britton sent down

BaltBound

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is our rotation now ?

Guthrie, Arrieta, Jakubauskus, Atkins, Simon ?

If anyone picked that before the season, go buy yourself a drink (or 10) on me.

I don't think that we really have a "rotation" at the moment. We'll just kind of be throwing a guy up there that has at least 3 (preferably 4) days' rest until Matusz, Britton, Tillman, etc. show whether or not they can display at least some modest improvement, and then we'll take it from there. Considering that, the All-Star break could not have come at a better time. I don't think that Buck expects Simon to give more than 4 or 5 innings tonight. I think we're kind of in Helter-Skelter mode until things get a little more stable (which I REALLY hope will happen sometime in the next month).

This isn't "sending him down", it's taking the opportunity to get an extra reliever up for the last two games and probably the first couple coming out of the break. He'll be back up by next Monday.

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that you have to wait something like 15 days before you can recall a player that you sent down. That is barring a DL move, of course.

Say goodbye to Britton. You might see him pitch in Baltimore one or two times more. But after that he’ll soon be bouncing around MLB teams and will never be the same. His confidence and self-assurance are now shot

This is a logical move. Keeps his clock from ticking, and gives him a chance to get himself composed.

He deserved to start the season with the O's, and now with his struggles, and the All-Star game they can get their year back. Smart move.

I'm pretty sure there's a rule that you have to wait something like 15 days before you can recall a player that you sent down. That is barring a DL move, of course.

The rule is 10 days. So he could come back as the 5th starter after the break and be fine without a DL move.

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/2011/07/09/britton-optioned-to-double-a/

The shocking move comes for a host of reasons, including the organization’s hope to preserve Britton’s service time and delay his free agency clock another year. The Orioles already planned on pushing back Britton to the fifth game after the All-Star break and Saturday’s move will feasibly cause him to miss just one start and help him pitch into September.

The 23-year-old Britton started the season brilliantly, going 4-1 with a 2.84 ERA in April. But he’s gone 2-5 since then, and has posted a 6.86 ERA over his last eight starts.

Britton was stunned by the news and said he was “frustrated to the say the least” of his recent performance and subsequent demotion. The move to Bowie is because the Orioles would prefer to keep him close by and work with Kennie Steenstra, who worked extensively with Britton throughout the Minors.

Right now, the plan is for Britton to stay down there until July 30, which would give him the 20 days in the Minors necessary to delay his clock. He is slated to throw three innings for Bowie on the 15th, but there aren’t any concrete plans besides that.

Archived