Britton sent down

BaltBound

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It makes no sense whatsoever. Unless they are able to fiddle with his "service time" and keep him another season under control. Now that the season is pretty much over, no sense in not taking the opportunity to pick up the extra year that he should have picked up in the first couple weeks of this season. I really hope that that's what this is about and that it isn't an overreaction to last night's game. He should have been out of the first inning last night multiple times if it wasn't for dismal defense behind him. He's been our most consistent pitcher this season, and if he goes down for last night's debacle, I hope Guthrie is asked to go down the next time he pitches poorly.

This isn't "sending him down", it's taking the opportunity to get an extra reliever up for the last two games and probably the first couple coming out of the break. He'll be back up by next Monday.

Service time. It was going to happen sometime.

Britt said keeping him down until the 30th would delay his service clock, so I would probably just do that. He's struggled like crazy lately. It's a logical move.

Two starts. Or maybe three. Matusz will be back shortly.

Yep... this was inevitable at some point this year. What better time than now? The season is lost anyways. We're going to finish the year well under .500...again. Might as well get that extra year of control back.

Plus, I doubt he'll pitch more than 2 outings in Norfolk.... probably 4-5 inning appearances.... will help keep the Innings Pitched down so it takes longer until he's actually shut down.

Service time move. It wouldn't have been possible if Britton were still pitching well. Doing this over the all-star break minimizes the number of major league games he'll have to miss in order to lose credit for a full year (the rules are based on days, not games).

Archived