Wieters Offense: Code Red?

ShaneDawg85

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I share the disappointment, and think him not living up to expectations has horrible implications for the organization. That said, isn't he still top 3 or 4 in the majors in WAR amongst catchers?
Including AL and NL there are a total of 12 catchers that qualify for the batting tittle. Of these, Wieters ranks 6th with 2.3 fWAR.

He is a major disappointment at the plate. "I have never I quote been to an Oriole game at OP with him in the lineup that he hasn't grounded out to 2B at least once and sometimes two times in a game." He swings at too many low pitches (maybe they are normal pitches but appear low to him because he's so tall?) and with his continued release of the bat on his swings with one hand and arm guiding the bat on his follow through he is going to continue to hit singles and maybe once in awhile get a tweener double between the outfielders. He reminds me of a coach hitting ground balls to the infielders and outfielders where they just make contact and try to direct it to a fielder. Chris Davis the night he hit his HR in K.C. recently keeps both hands on the bat until he has completed his swing and then let's one hand release. Result? More power and distance when he makes contact. Pick up a bat and swing the one handed/arm way I'm describing and you'll notice something right away. There is less strain on the shoulder behind the plate or trailing shoulder and less strain on the ribcage area. I commented about a month ago that he kept both hands on the bat on the follow through two times in a game I attended and I mentioned to people around me that it appeared he changed his swing and he hit the ball harder and for more distance. Guess what happened next? Back to the old way and strike three and ground out to 2B followed. He did get a hit tonight/last night that knocked in a run I believe and made two nice plays at the plate.

He needs a lot more time in a film room looking at his pitch selection when batting. He swings at anything around the plate whether it's low (1st preference) or high (2nd preference). I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again. He hits like he is taking batting practice. Adam Jones is similar but he crushes the ball and hits it for more distance when he makes contact. Is he stronger than Wieters? More muscular? I think Jones is stronger. Does Wieters spend time in the weight room?

I hope a hitting coach can show him what he is doing wrong and get him straightened out quickly. Maybe he should do what Nick is doing. Like it or not. Choke up a little bit and as I've said at least 10 times on here......go to a lighter bat to help him with his bat speed. This is all basic stuff and is easily corrected. What's going on with our hitting coach and Buck as they watch him bat night after night with little success. As I said on another post (RF'S) the other day he appears tired when he is hitting. Like he is only up at the plate because he has to bat. His main job is to catch. Sorry! It's what I see when I watch him hit and i'm sure others on here have noticed it before. We can correct his plan and swing at the plate. Another repeat but favorite comment about hitting. Years ago.......how many? When Frank Robinson was in his prime and hitting for the Orioles he was asked about hitting on a radio show. Any secrets Frank he was asked? Don't hit the pitchers pitch until you have two strikes. Don't swing at the low strike until you have 2 strikes. Especially if you have a runner on third with less than 2 strikes. You want a pitch you can hit in the air to drive in the runner from 3B.

I say trade him, I don't see anything positive from Wieter's at the plate. He has a ridiculously long swing, rolls over on the ball at least twice a game and doesn't really seem to put much effort into it. I know his defense is stellar, but right now putting him on the market could bring back 3 or 4 big time prospects. Now is the time to act, this team doesn't have a player that is untouchable IMO and we need all the talent we can get. I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion around here, but I'd move him if the return is good enough, which I think it would be.

Gold glove catcher that will hit 15-20 HR's and drive in 70-80 runs.

Are we really gonna whine about that?

He will? It's August 6th and he has 10 homers and 39 RBI's. So I don't see that happening.

Again, we are all held hostage by our expectations. Wieters is still pretty damn valuable, just not the type of player we had hoped he'd become... yet.

I say trade him, I don't see anything positive from Wieter's at the plate. He has a ridiculously long swing, rolls over on the ball at least twice a game and doesn't really seem to put much effort into it. I know his defense is stellar, but right now putting him on the market could bring back 3 or 4 big time prospects. Now is the time to act, this team doesn't have a player that is untouchable IMO and we need all the talent we can get. I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion around here, but I'd move him if the return is good enough, which I think it would be.

Don't trade him because he's so horrid, trade him if another team wants to give us something we can build with. Let someone else deal with his "potential." I'm fine with him or without him. But no one is unmovable. And frankly, I lean toward trading everyone just to get different faces.

I see what Alex Avila is doing in Detroit and on some level it pisses me off. That is what Wieters SHOULD be offensively, at minimum. For goodness sakes, Avila hasn't even hit that many home runs, only three more than Wieters. But he's actually gotten on base at really good clip, actually hit for some average, and has been superior across the board. Keep in mind that Avila was a fifth round pick, not a top five pick and one of the most hyped prospects in baseball history like Wieters was. Elite defense or not, Wieters should not be average offensively, period.

I see what Alex Avila is doing in Detroit and on some level it pisses me off. That is what Wieters SHOULD be offensively, at minimum. For goodness sakes, Avila hasn't even hit that many home runs, only three more than Wieters. But he's actually gotten on base at really good clip, actually hit for some average, and has been superior across the board. Keep in mind that Avila was a fifth round pick, not a top five pick and one of the most hyped prospects in baseball history like Wieters was. Elite defense or not, Wieters should not be average offensively, period.
Yea, where is the great plate discipline? At the very least, Wieters could be giving us a 340+ OBP...Not even close to that.

What's that supposed to mean? If we just wait a few more years, send Wieters to the minors, change his position a couple times... then *presto* he's going to be a good hitter for 400 PAs? That's wonderful. Exactly what we'd hoped for.

Unfortunately, most players who have a .700 OPS through age 26 end up with a .700 OPS through age 40.

What's that supposed to mean? If we just wait a few more years, send Wieters to the minors, change his position a couple times... then *presto* he's going to be a good hitter for 400 PAs? That's wonderful. Exactly what we'd hoped for.

Unfortunately, most players who have a .700 OPS through age 26 end up with a .700 OPS through age 40.

I think his point is that he was a big time hyped prospect coming out of college and it has taken time for him to become the hitter many thought he would be.

However, what everyone tends to ignore about Gordon is that he was a good player in his first 2 seasons, despite being rushed and being very young. Wieters had an excellent September in his rookie year and other than that, he hasn't been much more than Izzy.

No, I wasn't trying claim Gordon's career arc would somehow be indicative of Wieters'. Just struck me as an interesting comp. I'll stick to quoting Ginsberg from now on.

I think his point is that he was a big time hyped prospect coming out of college and it has taken time for him to become the hitter many thought he would be.

However, what everyone tends to ignore about Gordon is that he was a good player in his first 2 seasons, despite being rushed and being very young. Wieters had an excellent September in his rookie year and other than that, he hasn't been much more than Izzy.

Yep, that's all I was trying to say.

Your second point is very true as well. Alex Gordon's 2008 was much, much better than any season Wieters has had.

Archived