The 'GM' Situation

Greg Pappas

It's gotta be either Andy or Buck next year. I just can't imagine Buck allowing Peter to pick someone to be his boss, or even picking someone himself to be his boss. It either stays like it is now, or Buck is the boss next season.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that's screwy. It's the sign of a dysfunctional organization that an underling is allowed to select his boss. If you need proof, simply look up 95... to the Redskins. That's what bad organizations do. So, actually, I expect us to do exactly that.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not disagreeing with you, but that's screwy. It's the sign of a dysfunctional organization that an underling is allowed to select his boss. If you need proof, simply look up 95... to the Redskins. That's what bad organizations do. So, actually, I expect us to do exactly that.

I just think that Buck came to town with the ultimate goal of being a GM, whether it be in year or in a couple years. He's either going to get the job now, soon, or bail.

MacPhail never did.
Of course he has...Its the same lines over and over again. Perhaps different wording is used but it all points to the same thing.

You would be a fool for thinking otherwise.

Every GM will talk about the importance of signing their own, good scouting, etc...

The execution is where GMs are different.

Of course he has...Its the same lines over and over again. Perhaps different wording is used but it all points to the same thing.

You would be a fool for thinking otherwise.

Every GM will talk about the importance of signing their own, good scouting, etc...

The execution is where GMs are different.

Andy MacPhail always talked in generalities. Never did he say the Orioles "have to" do anything really specific like Hart mentioned. There was no aggressiveness during his tenure.

Hart's motto would be "just do it"

MacPhail's is more "wait and see"

I have no doubt Hart would be much more aggressive in implementing what he thought needed to be done than Andy MacPhail was.

I know a lot has been said about Showalter's experience in building the Diamondbacks (positive and negative), but he also played a big role in rebuilding the Yankees in the early 90s. When Steinbrenner was banned from baseball back in 1990, the Yanks were a bad franchise. In Steinbrenner's biography, Bill Madden writes about how Showalter and GM Gene Michael worked side by side in building what would become the dominant Yankee team that we know today. I know that was 20 years ago and things have changed a lot in the game, but he knows what it takes to rebuild a struggling team. He has done it before, and I believe he can do it again.

Andy MacPhail always talked in generalities. Never did he say the Orioles "have to" do anything really specific like Hart mentioned. There was no aggressiveness during his tenure.

Hart's motto would be "just do it"

MacPhail's is more "wait and see"

I have no doubt Hart would be much more aggressive in implementing what he thought needed to be done than Andy MacPhail was.

He never had to say gthey have to...That is implied..Its obvious.

Your are fishing here and you are coming up with cans and not fish.

This is a poor argument on your part.

You can bash AM all you want for his execution, that's fine...But a lot of that is PA's fault as well. But it is pretty obvious what AM WANTED to do and it is essentially the same thing as what Hart said.

Saying these things is one thing....doing it is another. It's easy to say, "build a great development system." I've said it a thousand times. Doesn't mean I could go out and do it. The key to a great GM isn't found in what they say. It's found in their judgment about executives, managers, coaches and players, and the actual decisions they make. Nothing they say in a quote means squat.

He never had to say gthey have to...That is implied..Its obvious.

Your are fishing here and you are coming up with cans and not fish.

This is a poor argument on your part.

You can bash AM all you want for his execution, that's fine...But a lot of that is PA's fault as well. But it is pretty obvious what AM WANTED to do and it is essentially the same thing as what Hart said.

No what he wanted to do, he did which was exactly what he did in Chicago.

There was no plan, just a year-to-year wait to see what happens and react.

Never did he say that the Orioles need to outscout the opposition or be afraid to compete for players with lower dollars. MacPhail basically said the Orioles need to run away when Boston and New York go looking after the same guys for fear of a bidding war no matter who they are.

And when have you seen Andy MacPhail say the Orioles need to be a major player internationally? In fact he's said the opposite because he feels you don't get a ROI there.

Hart and MacPhail do not think the same.

No what he wanted to do, he did which was exactly what he did in Chicago.

There was no plan, just a year-to-year wait to see what happens and react.

Never did he say that the Orioles need to outscout the opposition or be afraid to compete for players with lower dollars. MacPhail basically said the Orioles need to run away when Boston and New York go looking after the same guys for fear of a bidding war no matter who they are.

And when have you seen Andy MacPhail say the Orioles need to be a major player internationally? In fact he's said the opposite because he feels you don't get a ROI there.

Hart and MacPhail do not think the same.

The International stuff I will give you. The rest of this is just stupid.

Saying these things is one thing....doing it is another. It's easy to say, "build a great development system." I've said it a thousand times. Doesn't mean I could go out and do it. The key to a great GM isn't found in what they say. It's found in their judgment about executives, managers, coaches and players, and the actual decisions they make. Nothing they say in a quote means squat.
Do you believe there is a GM alive who could implement that plan in Baltimore, under PA?

Archived