Reynolds 2nd deck

Moose Milligan

His homer got posted to Home Run Tracker:

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/index.php?h=BAL&sortm=true_dist&sort=desc

They listed it at 463 ft of "true distance" or as though it would hit field level again. Anyone agree or disagree with this number?

I think I disagree. As noted earlier, he didn't pull that ball straight down the line, he hit it out closer (IIRC) to the power alley over the 373 sign.

I've gotta think hitting it over an entire section of bleacher seats is more than 100 feet, plus the additional distance for the height would make it more than 463.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I disagree. As noted earlier, he didn't pull that ball straight down the line, he hit it out closer (IIRC) to the power alley over the 373 sign.

I've gotta think hitting it over an entire section of bleacher seats is more than 100 feet, plus the additional distance for the height would make it more than 463.

I think you were looking at the plot of his first HR.

HERE is the plot for his second HR.

His homer got posted to Home Run Tracker:

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/index.php?h=BAL&sortm=true_dist&sort=desc

They listed it at 463 ft of "true distance" or as though it would hit field level again. Anyone agree or disagree with this number?

As high as he hits the ball, it was probably coming almost straight down. So, not a whole lot more forward progression from the ball. I buy it.

So over 500 feet?

True distance is in top right (463).

Top true distance HRs this year:

Fielder, Prince MIL 04/29/11 486

Upton, Justin ARI 04/12/11 478

Trumbo, Mark LAA 05/30/11 472

Moreland, Mitch TEX 06/20/11 472

Fielder, Prince MIL 07/30/11 471

Trumbo, Mark LAA 08/07/11 471

Howard, Ryan PHI 05/13/11 470

Johnson, Kelly ARI 05/24/11 466

Stanton, Mike FLA 05/16/11 465

Howard, Ryan PHI 08/03/11 465

Upton, Justin ARI 04/17/11 464

Thome, Jim MIN 07/17/11 464

Reynolds, Mark BAL 08/07/11 463

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/top_true_distance.php

Here's a brief excerpt from the LA Times the day after Hudler's HR:

Rex Hudler, a 6-foot, 195-pound utility infielder with 30 career home runs, did Sunday what Oakland's Mark McGwire, Detroit's Cecil Fielder and Boston's Jose Canseco have never done-homer into the second deck of Baltimore's Camden Yards.

Hudler turned on Jamie Moyer's inside fastball in the first inning, sending it an estimated 450 feet into the bleachers, but the enormity of the moment didn't sink in until the sixth inning, when Baltimore's Cal Ripken doubled and had a quick conversation with Hudler at second base.

"He said I was in a league by myself, and coming from him, that really hit home," said Hudler, a former first-round pick of the Yankees who was actually selected 30 spots ahead of Ripken in the 1978 draft. "I couldn't believe it. I was so flattered."

I wish I had a video on hand. When I get home I will look. I'm telling you, I was there. It just so happened that 2 other guys recalled it as well as me. And Hunter was talking about it, and I don't think me or anybody else here is MASN's source... Or maybe..

Or are you just being sarcastic?

I now believe it happened, I just don't understand how. It must have been like a Cesar Izturis homer - he takes a three-step run up to the pitch, swings so hard he throws out his shoulder, hits the ball into a 35 mph tailwind, and it clears the 309 sign by 3/8th of an inch. On a normal day with a normal swing it would have fallen in between the shortstop and the left fielder.

I now believe it happened, I just don't understand how. It must have been like a Cesar Izturis homer - he takes a three-step run up to the pitch, swings so hard he throws out his shoulder, hits the ball into a 35 mph tailwind, and it clears the 309 sign by 3/8th of an inch. On a normal day with a normal swing it would have fallen in between the shortstop and the left fielder.

309? Meh, which stadium is that (Memorial)?

Archived