If BRob can't return next season.....??

jets4ever

There is talk out of Toronto that Aaron Hill's option may not be picked up at season's end by the Blue Jays. If Roberts can't return next season, Hill still has a decent bat. Plays solid defense. And, is only 28 years old.

Is this something we should be looking at should BR not be able to recover from his health problems? :confused:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Roberts hangs them up, we should be after Jimmy Rollins for SS and move Hardy to 2B.

Enough with the projects. Let's get proven over-the-hill declining talent.

Rollins seems like the kind of player who would come here for one last contract before retirement.

Ride his name, no pressure, take it easy, no thanks.

Rollins seems like the kind of player who would come here for one last contract before retirement.

Ride his name, no pressure, take it easy, no thanks.

We would be signing him for speed, basestealing and defense, not his bat which would be a bonus.

Rollins is still one of the better defenders in the game and this year has been better and more valuable than Hardy overall.

We would be signing him for speed, basestealing and defense, not his bat which would be a bonus.

Rollins is still one of the better defenders in the game and this year has been better and more valuable than Hardy overall.

Wait, you would sign a 33-year-old veteran for his speed, basestealing and defense? There's a recipe for disaster.

I'm going to call you Dream Weaver from now on. This will never happen.

I may be dreaming, but if the Orioles actually want to build a winning team that will compete starting next year, they've got to get the talent that can do that.

Cast offs like Aaron Hill are not what competitive teams grab and put in their starting lineup.

If Toronto, which is a better run organziation than this one, doesn't want him, we shouldn't either.

Wait, you would sign a 33-year-old veteran for his speed, basestealing and defense? There's a recipe for disaster.

For 3 years? Yeah I'd take that gamble.

We signed a 31 year old SS for his defense back in 1997 and then re-signed him when he was 35 for 2 more years.

How many years would it take for Rollins to come here? Three minimum, probably four? He'll be 33 next year and on the decline. This year, a contract year, he is doing well, but the past two years he has had very poor OPS+. This sounds like a Flannigan/Beatie move and I've had enough of the older declining veteran types who come here to milk the cow.

I'd like to get Adrian Cardenas from the A's. He's blocked at 2B by Weeks and 3B by Sizemore. Doesn't hit well enough for LF. Excellent on-base skills, little power. ML OPS likely around .650-.750 (.280/.350/.350). Potentially, a leadoff hitter with solid 2B defense for years.

Unfortunately, I don't see how we match up for a trade. A's need hitting, especially at the outfield corners and 1B. Reimold? Pie? Don't see how it could work.

How many years would it take for Rollins to come here? Three minimum, probably four? He'll be 33 next year and on the decline. This year, a contract year, he is doing well, but the past two years he has had very poor OPS+. This sounds like a Flannigan/Beatie move and I've had enough of the older declining veteran types who come here to milk the cow.

So you'd rather do what we've done in the past and look for Garrett Atkins at 2B?

2B is a wasteland. Better to move Hardy over there and go for a good option at SS where Rollins is one of several options, but he's the best option via FA unless you want to spend huge dollars on Jose Reyes.

I'd like to get Adrian Cardenas from the A's. He's blocked at 2B by Weeks and 3B by Sizemore. Doesn't hit well enough for LF. Excellent on-base skills, little power. ML OPS likely around .650-.750 (.280/.350/.350). Potentially, a leadoff hitter with solid 2B defense for years.

Unfortunately, I don't see how we match up for a trade. A's need hitting, especially at the outfield corners and 1B. Reimold? Pie? Don't see how it could work.

The Orioles should not be looking at any .650-.750 OPS players as regulars if they want to win.

I'm not sure people really get what talent level is needed to compete in the AL East...

Jimmy Rollins OPS:

2009: .719

2010: .694

2011: .732

My point is we shouldn't be looking at any prospects that profile as .650-.750 OPS regulars.

You leave out one word and people jump all over you... :P

Besides, Cardenas doesn't steal bases or hit for power. We'd get him for his defense which seems below average according to Total Zone and his ability to hit singles.

We need proven talent that will win games at the ML level. No prospects, suspects or projects unless they are riding the bench. The time for that is done.

Considering what we would have to pay Rollins to have the honor of watching him decline into oblivion I'd much rather have Andino play 2B next year. I'd be willing to bet Andino will put up better numbers at 2B the next several years, offensively and defensively.

Edit: Kudos to AM for getting Andino for Hayden "watch out for the meteorite" Penn

Archived