Felix Pie DFA'd!!!!!!!!!!!

AJismyhero

I really liked Felix. But this simply isn't the organization for a raw talent that needs to be coached up.
Pie came here, worked on his game and proved that he could be a valuable player.

But he got hurt too much and just didn't continue his development that started 2 years ago.

I think Felix Pie could have been a valuable player in another organization. You always hear Earl would find players who could do some things well and find a role where they were really only asked to do those things. Today's Orioles are an organization so desperate for success and talent that anyone who shows a glimpse of performance or skill is immediately expected to grow into a star. They're not in the business of developing roles for Felix Pies, they're in the business of trying to find 10 or 15 players who won't embarrass themselves.

I would not at all be surprised if Pie catches on with a team like the Rays or the Rangers or the Phillies and still has a decent career getting 200-300 at bats a year. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the many players who had a ton of talent at 22 and were exactly the same raw, undisciplined, frustrating players at 32. Sometimes you're Sammy Sosa, sometimes you're Glenn Braggs.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pie may not be THE REASON the Orioles are so bad, but he is just one of the many. I think he is one of those guys who just will not put it all together. He has physical attributes but they seem to be wasted with him.

I would think the celebratory nature of some posts is becuz the guy was a non contributor. Its a sign of frustration from fans who have watched pretty much an entire team of individuals who have under performed this season. If some others got axed you would see the same response. Gonzo, Gregg, etc.

Reimold can go with Pie and we wouldn't be any worse than we already are. Reimold hasn't done much with his opportunities either.

With Pie, all that will be missed is his "potential." And it wasn't happening.

I would also say Pie (Rich Hill also) was the poster boy(s) of Andy McPhails Cubs connection.

So as not to drum up the same debates again, I'll simply say that I'm disappointed it didn't work out the way I and many others had hoped. Felix showed flashes of talent during his time in Baltimore, but it just wasn't enough and with enough consistency. I'm disappointed, but I never hated the guy, and I'll always root for him. I wish him nothing but the best as he goes forward, whether it's in the Orioles organization or elsewhere. I'm also thankful that, hopefully, that this debate will not be rehashed, again, and the book on this is closed.

Pie came here, worked on his game and proved that he could be a valuable player.But he got hurt too much and just didn't continue his development that started 2 years ago.

This is simply not true. Valuable at what? Can't get on base. When he did, he can't steal. Questionable defense. No baseball IQ. Limited Power. Horrible approach at the plate. I don't want to see Oriole players fail. The upsetting part is that the Orioles take so long to see what is obvious to others and other organizations. If any team thought he had any value, he would have been traded. He will clear waviers, because he is just not a good baseball player. The shame of it is, he should have spend another couple years in the minors, learning the game. Now it's probably too late.

This is simply not true. Valuable at what? Can't get on base. When he did, he can't steal. Questionable defense. No baseball IQ. Limited Power. Horrible approach at the plate. I don't want to see Oriole players fail. The upsetting part is that the Orioles take so long to see what is obvious to others and other organizations. If any team thought he had any value, he would have been traded. He will clear waviers, because he is just not a good baseball player. The shame of it is, he should have spend another couple years in the minors, learning the game. Now it's probably too late.

2009: .763 OPS with an .842 in the second half.

SG didn't say he was valuable right now.

Pie got chance after chance and MacPhail kept him on the roster and giving him chances over players that were more deserving.

I think this could also show that MacPhail is no longer in charge, considering Pie was one of his pet players.

Glad to see him finally gone as the Orioles can and need to do better for that 4th OF spot.

I have doubts that he will hit the ball with enough authority to put up a high BA and draw walks. Just look at early season Brian Roberts for an example of that. Having a good approach at the plate is great but you have to give pitchers a reason not to throw you strikes.

He's a lot like Joey Gathright. Gathright had no power, put up better AAA numbers than Angle, got on base at a .380 clip in the minors. And ended up with a .630 MLB OPS, and a .326 MLB on-base percentage.

Jason Tyner is another one. Zero power, really fast, .363 minor league OBP. Ended up with a .314 MLB OPB.

Tom Goodwin kind of fits the mold, too. Otis Nixon was similar, although he was crossed with a cheetah and had one of the more unusual career arcs ever.

If I had to guess I'd say Angle's career ends up most similar to Tyner or Gathright.

No, he got sporadic playing time and limited opportunities to showcase his skills. I still think he has a chance to be a productive 4th OF'er, something like 725-.750 OPS and good defense in center, which I think is his natural position. Does anyone on this team try to steal? He's got nobody to teach him in my opinion. He's faster than anyone on the team, but he isn't harnessing his abilities. Hit to contact more, shorten the swing, don't swing out of your shoes, and play smart. He's got good bat-speed too, and he seems to be a whipping boy. Reimold isn't fairing much better. Why not call for his head too?

Felix Pie is not the reason why we're the worst team in the AL. I understand why he was DFA'ed, I really do. It's not that, it's what I see as a celebratory nature of some posts that bothers me.

No he's not. The fact that this organization needs 764 ML plate appearances over the course of three seasons to come to a conclusion about Felix Pie is the reason why. I agree with you about the celebratory nature of some of the posts but he had more than a fair shot here. Hell, Crowley almost adopted him in 2009. He's reached his sell-by date. Even for the Orioles.

No he's not. The fact that this organization needs 764 ML plate appearances over the course of three seasons to come to a conclusion about Felix Pie is the reason why. I agree with you about the celebratory nature of some of the posts but he had more than a fair shot here. Hell, Crowley almost adopted him in 2009. He's reached his sell-by date. Even for the Orioles.

The dumb mistakes were the worst. But he did look good at times at the plate in 09 and 10. I think the earliest the Os should have done something with Felix was when Reimold came up. It didnt make sense to have them both on the team then. It was also apparent by then that Pie was done in Baltimore.

Bingo, give that man a cigar.

2009: .763 OPS with an .842 in the second half.

SG didn't say he was valuable right now.

SSS.... just 145 abs as his first half was .645, which drove the overall to 763. Deeper, it was really driven by one hot month in Aug when he OPSed 1.045 in 63 abs. I don't think it proved anything.

Yes, there is some reverie to this move; however, for those that believe Pie was done, the happiness is coming from the fact that the Orioles were able to recognize and react to failure for once. For those that believe in Pie's potential (really?!), the reverie looks like people cheering failure. It's not that. Most have just given up on him by now.

And it's far from a SSS at this point.

Archived