I'm going to make a bold statement. I don't think Andy MacPhail is employed by the Orioles any more.

Snutchy

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did it ever occur to anyone that since the MacPhail family has had a longstanding relationship with the Orioles that they might want to let things settle down before releasing a statement?

Not really, no. It's really weird and mysterious....within hours, a ton of statements had been released by various members of the Orioles family, including Angelos. It's not hard to release a statement.

Angelos and Ripken released statements unsolicited. Everyone else was interviewed to get their comments.

I don't see why MacPhail's job status has anything to do with this. He has long-standing connections to the Orioles well before Angelos hired him.

The more buzz there is about Andy's silence, I suppose a beat reporter will try to get him to comment, and he'll come back with some vanilla statement.

Not really, no. It's really weird and mysterious....within hours, a ton of statements had been released by various members of the Orioles family, including Angelos. It's not hard to release a statement.

I get your point and agree somewhat. Unfortunately I had a very good friend do the same thing in the late 80's and it took me weeks to talk about it. It's still uncomfortable today. I honestly don't think I could have a 5 minute conversation about it.

MacPhail and Flanagan did not get along. It's not really too surprising that MacPhail has not released a statement. Saying that, I will be shocked if MacPhail is still running things here by October 15th.

Actions speak louder than words? Or, in this case, non-action? Could MacPhail really be this petty?

Angelos and Ripken released statements unsolicited. Everyone else was interviewed to get their comments.

I don't see why MacPhail's job status has anything to do with this. He has long-standing connections to the Orioles well before Angelos hired him.

The more buzz there is about Andy's silence, I suppose a beat reporter will try to get him to comment, and he'll come back with some vanilla statement.

Exactly right. Peter Angelos has already made the Orioles organization's position clear. It's not an employee's job to make an unsolicited modification, clarification or enhancement to a bosses public statement. At this point enough time has passed to where AM has to respond to request for an on-the-record comment. He doesn't have to seek it out. Given the awkwardness of his hiring, that's probably a wise course for him to take.

MacPhail and Flanagan did not get along. It's not really too surprising that MacPhail has not released a statement. Saying that, I will be shocked if MacPhail is still running things here by October 15th.

Just asking... You heard this from Flanny? Never heard (or perceived) anything like this.

Exactly right. Peter Angelos has already made the Orioles organization's position clear. It's not an employee's job to make an unsolicited modification, clarification or enhancement to a bosses public statement. At this point enough time has passed to where AM has to respond to request for an on-the-record comment. He doesn't have to seek it out. Given the awkwardness of his hiring, that's probably a wise course for him to take.

Yeah, I think this is it.

I would love to actually hear what is the source for the cancer that effects the O's. I suspect that it is way beyond who is wearing the current GM hat. It would be great to get your view has to why they did not like each other. I believe both wanted to succeed and both seem to be pitching first guys. Neither can point to the choices made on the pitching front as evidence that they were successful. I guess I would like to know if there are differences of substance between the two or is it just the situation that lead to them not getting along. Baseball wise they did not seem much different from what I see.

Tony I am going to ask something straight out because you know the players involved. Is the problem with the O's talent evaluation or development or both? I am not looking for the typical we don't spend enough stuff, because the problem is way beyond that. We basically are batting near 0 is creating ML above average players and it has gone on for a very long time. The additional spending would not fix the fact that we don't create ML all stars at all. There are names that have been in these departments for a long time and I don't see how they stick around.

A follow up do you see any evidence that we have improved? Is there any hope that we might actually have players show up that are not flawed players in the near future?

Seems unlikely that, with the waiver trade deadline approaching, the Orioles would be without a GM. I'm mystified that MacPhail has been invisible, but I'd be very surprised if he's gone. If he was, why would they keep it a secret?

Because Angelos operates in ways that baffle people all the time.

I doubt this is true, but nothing would surprise me anymore when it comes to this team.

Archived