Heyman: Orioles current favorite to land Fielder

BaltimoreTerp

The Nats and the Jays have basically said they weren't interested in Fielder. The Nats have Morse and LaRoche, and want to spend money elsewhere such as SS, and the Jays want to avoid FA at all costs and have David Cooper already...

Again, you are reading way too much into that AA article. If he sees an undervalued asset on the FA market I would bet he'd be willing to take a shot. He is not going to overpay for Fielder, but if the price is reasonable I think he will strike. He is not the kind of guy to get locked into "I already have X to play that position." You take improvements where they're available and if needed X becomes a trade chip.

Fielder will take less to play in Toronto than to play in Baltimore IMO. He has ties to that area, the Canadian dollar is slightly stronger than the USD and has not been below par since June 2006, and they are a lot closer to competing than we are.

Note, I am not saying Toronto will sign him, just that if the market really does clear and he doesn't get many offers that you cannot count out Toronto because they have David Cooper.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where AM did not have freedom was within the organization itself, front office cronies, coaches and other staff. That seems to be a frontier that Angelos has no thought of relinquishing.

Lee MacPhail IV and Matt Klentak say hi.

Wayne Krivsky also had a brief stint in the O's FO after being fired from Cinci.

Lee MacPhail IV and Matt Klentak say hi.

Wayne Krivsky also had a brief stint in the O's FO after being fired from Cinci.

How on the planet do you allow yourself to believe that this organization is going to spend $20+ million a year on one player.... a player that is destined to not come anywhere near living up to his contract given his agent + his size?

Come on, man. You're like the one guy in a group of friends who's falling in love with the girl who's absolutely going to dump all over him for the umpteenth time, but he's convinced she's changed.

Here's a secret: she hasn't changed.

How on the planet do you allow yourself to believe that this organization is going to spend $20+ million a year on one player.... a player that is destined to not come anywhere near living up to his contract given his agent + his size?

Come on, man. You're like the one guy in a group of friends who's falling in love with the girl who's absolutely going to dump all over him for the umpteenth time, but he's convinced she's changed.

Here's a secret: she hasn't changed.

Maybe, or maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see...

But rest assured, I'm done pouring emotion into following a losing product. If the girl dumps on me, I'll tell her to get lost until she's ready for a committed relationship.

Again, you are reading way too much into that AA article. If he sees an undervalued asset on the FA market I would bet he'd be willing to take a shot. He is not going to overpay for Fielder, but if the price is reasonable I think he will strike. He is not the kind of guy to get locked into "I already have X to play that position." You take improvements where they're available and if needed X becomes a trade chip.

Fielder will take less to play in Toronto than to play in Baltimore IMO. He has ties to that area, the Canadian dollar is slightly stronger than the USD and has not been below par since June 2006, and they are a lot closer to competing than we are.

Note, I am not saying Toronto will sign him, just that if the market really does clear and he doesn't get many offers that you cannot count out Toronto because they have David Cooper.

Joey Votto has greater ties to Toronto. He's born and raised there and spends the offseason there. He's very close to his family, even more so since his father's death which caused him to miss a lot of games due to depression. As for Fielder and the Jays, there have been other articles hinting that the Jays might not be fit:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/same-results-different-outlook-for-blue-jays/article2168254/

"President Paul Beeston will not okay six- or seven-year deals, which eliminates the Blue Jays from free-agent hunts for the likes of Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. So stow those pipe dreams away."

And this one:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/11/this-prince-not-for-jays

"“From talking with the Jays they have zero interest in Fielder,” said one evaluator. “The Jays are now into athletic players, look at their draft choice the previous two years."

Joey Votto has greater ties to Toronto. He's born and raised there and spends the offseason there. He's very close to his family, even more so since his father's death which caused him to miss a lot of games due to depression. As for Fielder and the Jays, there have been other articles hinting that the Jays might not be fit:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/baseball/same-results-different-outlook-for-blue-jays/article2168254/

"President Paul Beeston will not okay six- or seven-year deals, which eliminates the Blue Jays from free-agent hunts for the likes of Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder. So stow those pipe dreams away."

And this one:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/11/this-prince-not-for-jays

"“From talking with the Jays they have zero interest in Fielder,” said one evaluator. “The Jays are now into athletic players, look at their draft choice the previous two years."

Right, I wasn't just referencing the AA article. The Jays are gunshy after the Vernon Wells debacle...

Heyman is a known Angelos basher.

Well, apparently he's also a known pacalolo smoker. Because this is straight out of Cheech & Chong. Fielder is not coming here. I suggest getting over it, and moving onto something more productive than dreaming about "the savior" player. Again, adding Fielder to this team would be like putting a cherry on top of a turd. Senseless and a waste of a perfectly good cherry.

Isn't the tax rate much higher in Canada?

Isn't the tax rate much higher in Canada?

A fair point. On high earners, yes it is. Sales taxes are also higher. And presumably someone like Fielder wouldn't benefit from some of the services that higher taxes pay for (e.g., health care).

I know that this is a Fielder thread, but Albert should be the one they go after. That is if they were going to spend "big" money this year. Everybody knows his stats are great, but I just checked them out for myself and they really are absurd.

I looked at Fielder, and even before checking Alberts, they were not that great for a guy looking to get around 20-25 million. That of course is just my opinion. Really I would like to see a different direction, but that wont happen either. Anyhow, just come out of the gate and offer a 7/210 at Big Al, and see where it goes.

The Nats and the Jays have basically said they weren't interested in Fielder. The Nats have Morse and LaRoche, and want to spend money elsewhere such as SS, and the Jays want to avoid FA at all costs and have David Cooper already...

As an aside to this wonderful discussion, we should offer the Nats Hardy for Rendon. I sure would like an infield of Rendon, Machado, Schoop and Fielder (duh) moving into 2013.

Archived