Stockstill Signed for 2012 Per Roch

Rene88

John joined the O's in 2005. Formerly the Scouting director for the Cubs. He became the head of the O's international scouting a year later and is responsible for what little progress we have made there since. He was appointed head of player development in 2010. His brother Dave had been head of player development since 2004 IIRC, but with the organization sonce the mid 90's. Dave is the one who is reputed to be close to PA.

Ok. So this isn't really THAT bad.

It's not good that the new GM won't be able to make the decision himself, but at least this is the competent Stockstill. It's not like his position has been set in stone either.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like he will just be paid and that is the key thing here for some reason. They will give him some job, somewhere within the organization. We hope he isn't a key part unless the person they choose wants him to be.

Sorry for spelling Roch's name wrong btw. I actually know the guy too, awful.

I am working on my spelling and accuracy:). I am usually quite careless from my time at the Sunspot. I am working to improve:)

Dave is the worse of the two, as he's been around since 1994 and was the guy who sat on a "throne" when he interviewed the O's minor leaguers.

John isn't a bad guy to have around IMO. His brother hopefully will find new employment elsewhere...

You don't think the whole potential of re-assignment could be a good sign at all?
But we don't really know if that is a Roch line, something he was told or both.

And we also have no idea if it is really going to happen either.

Either way, it shouldn't have been a decision made before knowing what the new GM wants.

Some of you aren't getting it.

It doesn't matter if John is the worst at his job, the best or somewhere in between.

He should not have been re-signed without an ok from both the new GM and whoever he brings in to run the scouting.

Tom Ricketts went ahead and signed the Cubs' VP of player personnel to a new deal before Epstein got there...

And he got a 4 year contract. We're just talking one year.

Some of you aren't getting it.

It doesn't matter if John is the worst at his job, the best or somewhere in between.

He should not have been re-signed without an ok from both the new GM and whoever he brings in to run the scouting.

Ultimately I agree with this, but I think some of us are just looking for some silver lining. Hopefully the whole "could be re-assigned" thing is true and they've set that expectation with John that the new GM will have that autonomy. I alluded to this earlier, but I realize this is the overly optimistic way of looking at this. I don't necessarily believe this to be the case either, it's just a possibility. I wish they hadn't done this.

So what? Is that supposed to prove some point?

Are you really pointing to the Cubs as a team we should emulate. #103 years with no title

I'm just saying clubs do that sort of thing. Buck is still there as well. Stockstill at least did his job in Japan it seems fairly decently.

The international scouting was weak, but that's on the organization IMO, not necessarily Stockstill himself.

Archived