Don't get to hung up on the "we've been spending adequately comment" as he doesn't want to be openly critical of how things have been done in the past. He's right that results are what matter and you have to get better results for the $$$ spent. Let's sit back as see what his actions take about our level of funding. I suspect the funding will be higher.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its all relative.. he's pretty much telling you not to expect a 120 million dollar budget. It doesn't matter what the actual market is like Angelo's isn't shelling out 120 million. So yeah in the context of the rest of the AL east, except Tampa.. we're small market (albeit artificially)

Edit: I'm not really understanding why you guys expected anything different in that regard.

Markets of more than 10 million people

--------------------------------------------------------

21,199,865 New York Mets, New York Yankees

16,373,645 Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Dodgers

Markets of 5-10 million people

9,157,540 Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox

7,608,070 Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals

7,039,362 Oakland Athletics, San Francisco Giants

6,188,463 Philadelphia Phillies

5,819,100 Boston Red Sox

5,456,428 Detroit Tigers

5,221,801 Texas Rangers

Markets of 3-5 million people

4,682,897 Toronto Blue Jays

4,669,571 Houston Astros

4,112,198 Atlanta Braves

3,878,380 Florida Marlins

3,554,760 Seattle Mariners

3,426,350 Montr?al, QC (NHL)

3,251,876 Arizona Diamondbacks

Markets of 2-3 million people

2,968,806 Minnesota Twins

2,945,831 Cleveland Indians

2,813,833 San Diego Padres

2,603,607 St Louis Cardinals

2,581,506 Colorado Rockies

2,395,997 Tampa Bay Devil Rays

2,358,695 Pittsburgh Pirates

2,265,223 Portland, OR (NBA)

Markets of 1-2 million people

1,986,965 Vancouver, BC (NHL)

1,979,202 Cincinnati Reds

1,796,857 Sacramento, CA (NBA)

1,776,062 Kansas City Royals

1,689,572 Milwaukee Brewers

1,644,561 Orlando, FL (NBA)

1,607,486 Indianapolis, IN (NBA, NFL)

1,592,383 San Antonio, TX (NBA)

1,540,157 Columbus, OH (NHL)

1,499,293 Charlotte, NC (NBA, NFL)

1,337,726 New Orleans, LA (NBA, NFL)

1,333,914 Salt Lake City, UT (NBA)

1,231,311 Nashville, TN (NFL, NHL)

1,187,941 Raleigh, NC (NHL)

1,170,111 Buffalo, NY (NFL, NHL)

1,135.614 Memphis, TN (NBA)

1,100,491 Jacksonville, FL (NFL)

1,063,664 Ottawa, ON (NHL)

We are not a small market.

He emphasized OBP. He emphasized pitching. He emphasized scouting and development.

Those are all things that need to be emphasized here.

MacPhail talked about them but didn't do much. We'll see if DD does. If he makes progress on those 3 things, the Orioles will get a lot better.

I think this sums it up best. His message was in tune with what many on this board want. It's just a matter of his ability to implement his ideals. Which, to say, is most likely doubtful, but at least the plan is sound.

Does anyone really expect a guy to come out on Day 1 and say: This organization sucks, I'm firing everyone, trading Adam Jones, and finally forcing that tightwad Peter Angelos to spend millions on prospects from Curacao? I'll judge the dude by what he does - not what he says at an introductory press conference all of 48 hours after getting the job.

Maybe this is just my eternal optimism as an Orioles fan, but I get a feeling that maybe we can catch lightning in a bottle with Dan Duquette. He has something to prove, and I get the sense, he wants to send a message to MLB. He seems like he could be the perfect fit to satisfy both groups of fans. He wants an emphasis put on scouting and development, including internationally. Yet, also knows how to go out and fill a need via free agency or trades. He's only 53 years old, and it seems his philosophy on how to build a winner, isn't outdated at all. Develop a solid young core, and go out and fill in the missing pieces.

He said what I wanted to hear. Basically they need to build scouting and player development. He clearly intends to build up the international side. He clearly thinks he can bring in some talent evaluators who are better than the guys we have now. I hope he's right about that. He told Jim Hunter he hoped to add some people before the winter meetings.

Trea is going to be very, very disappointed. No big FA splash coming.

He's sent some mixed messages here.

First he says we have a good core of players to build around, mentioning Hardy, Wieters and Jones and that as soon as we can sign the players we need we can be competitive.

Then he says we need to have a good core in place before going into FA...

So which is it?

Perhaps he thinks a core is more than 3 out of 25 players, Trea? :rolleyes:

Peter Angelos controls how much money there is available to spend, not the market size. It's always been that way and I have no idea why anyone would expect that to change.

Yes the funding has always been limited and has provided the same talent level as a $20MM ball club is all true but thats does not make us a small market team..

I'll give him this offseason. But as I said, if we aren't committed to winning now, I'm done.

I can't invest more of my life following a loser.

Dude, this is by far the best thing we could do right now. Build a pipeline of talent and a team in our position (we actually have money where Tampa and other similar teams do not) we will have long term success. Much better than winning 2-3 more games a year with Fielder.

Archived