Inside The Trenches With Duquette

soxhotcorner14

I am not sure if anyone has presented a better post ever on this board than this one.

This is a much different perspective than any of us have really ever had but still, this was one hell of a post...and very encouraging.

I have been one that has preached the little things for years now. Many have gotten on me, brushing them aside like they are meaningless.

But they aren't meaningless...They all add up and they are all important.

This post alone gave me more encouragement about Duquette..more than I had before.

Now, he still has to be able to implement it but he seems to have a good understanding of how to do it. I just hope PA allows it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As most of you guys know, I played baseball for the Red Sox in the early 90's.. was drafted by Lou Gorman and two years later Duquette took over as GM. I spent 2 years while Duquette was GM for the Red Sox What I wanted to do is give you guys an inside feel as to how the scene was prior, during while I was with the organization. Also give you a feel, as the fan what to expect from him from the top all the way down to the players.

oxHotCorner

Well that makes me feel much more hopeful. Combine that with his emphasis on scouting and development today and I really have to admit I do feel a little better than I did a day ago about the hire. Now it will take tangible changes to keep that optimism afloat but for a change its nice to have sense that they recognize they have to get much much better with scouting and development.

Here is hoping Duquette becomes one of those feel good second chance stories we all like to hear.

I've been liking the DD choice more and more, the more I read and hear. This thread just make me feel TWICE as good about it. Still the persistent skepticism whether Angelos will give him enough leash... but it sounds like he wouldn't BE here without the maneuvering room. I'm loving all the international and minor league FA and player development talk too. I almost expect him to come out with a new "Oriole Way Manual" that is rumored to have been around back in the day. I feel 100% better reading this thread! PA FINALLY made a good choice! In spite of his deluded views...

I'm going back to my Jimi avatar! :D

I've been liking the DD choice more and more, the more I read and hear. This thread just make me feel TWICE as good about it. Still the persistent skepticism whether Angelos will give him enough leash... but it sounds like he wouldn't BE here without the maneuvering room. I'm loving all the international and minor league FA and player development talk too. I almost expect him to come out with a new "Oriole Way Manual" that is rumored to have been around back in the day. I feel 100% better reading this thread! PA FINALLY made a good choice! In spite of his deluded views...

I'm going back to my Jimi avatar! :D

Is that who that is? Hallelujah! Now if we can get rid of NMS and the bag my world will be back on track....

Agreed on all points, btw....

Sounds like so much of what he did was just good old baseball acumen? In your opinion where is he so much better than MacPhail

I would be interested to get your take - and this is going to be tough - based on his comments today were you getting a sense of timetable as to when he felt the club could be competitive?

Question 1: He's much better in the areas of international scouting/player acquisition, recognizing talent, connections within the industry, has a good eye for player development/personnel. All things, in my opinion McPhail wasn't very strong in. MacPhail brings a lot of other qualities to the table that are much more suited for a higher up position.

Question 2: From what I saw after DD took over, it took him 2-4 years to get his players into his system, developed and on the cusp to contribute at the big league level in one way form or another. I remember when he came in he just blew up the entire organizational roster of players that were previously there to make room for "his guys". There were only a few left standing.

Keep in mind though, he has much more younger talent to work with here at the big league level than he did with the Red Sox.. so being competitive might come sooner rather than later. But 2-4 years to get the organization turning out prospects to help the ball club, or to help facilitate trades to make the club better.

Thanks for the amazing post Tony!

Can't wait to see how DD goes about this off season (and many off seasons to come). He seems like great baseball guy and someone that tells it how he sees it. I loved watching his presser yesterday, I got the feeling that he isn't going to sugar coat anything and that he will be very swift in making key decisions that need to be made.

The Angelos just have to set a budget and stay out of the way. There's enough energy and mission in Duquette and Buck to do everything else. I worry that DD may be rushed into some of his FO hirings by the off-season schedule that landed in his lap--he's bound to be guided a little too much by Buck b/c of that.

I wonder if there's still an Angelos list of people that DD can't let go. That's REALLY important. Note that how much executive decision-making freedom he has is one of the few things he sort of waffled about in the pressers and interviews yesterday.

DD sd baseball's "in his DNA," and it looks like, from his childhood reminiscences as well as reflections on how he built other teams, the glory-era Orioles are, too. He's returning with the model that has guided him all these years to its place of origin--and sorrowful absence the last two decades. Go Dan!

I'm from Rockville... where did you go to high school?

I went to the dentist in Rockville (Dr. Joe Kantekevich, whose son Pat was signed by the O's two years ago from W&M) during that period of the 80's - 00's. Did you go to him (sounding like Chris Farley)? (Just kidding!)

Loved the updates on DD - keep 'em coming?

John Boles just got hired by the Royals in player development. He said he is going to send out a manual on how we do things in the system and what we expect from the coaches and players. That way everyone is on the same page throughout the system. You don't want guys to get taught differently at each level. Also you don't need coaches that want to get a name for themselves and not teach the players. Records are not important in the minors. I was wondering if the Sox system was consistent at each level and everyone was on the same page? I think the O's have the problem of not each level being on the same page. Boles would have been a good hire since he also worked with the Expos and has alot of experience but it is too late.

John Boles just got hired by the Royals in player development. He said he is going to send out a manual on how we do things in the system and what we expect from the coaches and players. That way everyone is on the same page throughout the system. You don't want guys to get taught differently at each level. Also you don't need coaches that want to get a name for themselves and not teach the players. Records are not important in the minors. I was wondering if the Sox system was consistent at each level and everyone was on the same page? I think the O's have the problem of not each level being on the same page. Boles would have been a good hire since he also worked with the Expos and has alot of experience but it is too late.

We all know that the Orioles used to do this, back when Harry Dalton was the GM. http://books.google.com/books?id=NkhvPZD6c00C&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=earl+weaver+manual+oriole+way&source=bl&ots=AmvG59CIQW&sig=c48tsPHWVw7NxEHVVyxz7sXfiXA&hl=en&ei=G4K6ToD8K4rn0QGdmJXeCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=earl%20weaver%20manual%20oriole%20way&f=false

Archived