Connolly: Cuddyer near top of list for Orioles

Sports Guy

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading this article, it makes me want to target someone like Dejesus even more. Reimold can be the 4th OF/full-time DH. You let Reimold play LF against lefties, and you have Dejesus be your backup CF.

Surprisingly enough, Reimold doesn't split out that favorably against LHP. He was actually really bad last year.

Connolly's article and style are a perfect example of what is wrong with the media's coverage of the Orioles.

STOP LOWERING EXPECTATIONS AND JUSTIFYING THE ORIOLES' ACTIONS!!!

The only reason the O's have been bad for fourteen years is that they haven't wanted it. And they would have wanted it if the media had just pushed a little harder.

My kingdom for a wild-eyed tabloid newspaper that can force the O's to stop loving 95 losses!!!

Cuddyer plays a brand of baseball that exist in only four places: the senile confines of the HOF Veterans Committee, the HBO series, "When It Was a Game," the book "Shoeless Joe," and Buck Showalter's mind.
So, as opposed to Cuddyer, Reimold's not a real "ball player" I guess.
He's either not real or not a ballplayer. Tough to tell which.

As JTrea's years of posting have told us, "reality" is the product of only the most powerful subjectivities (formed by wishing hard, believing in yourself, and denying the rest). Thus: Veteran's Committee, "Shoeless Joe," "When It Was A Game," and Buck's brain.

Is that a career norm, though?

His career numbers are about 35 points lower by OPS. That may be affected by a really bad year last year (150 points lower) though. He was only about 25 points lower against LHP in 2009. He doesn't have a ton of AB's. I'm not aware of his Mil splits (I don't think that site is available anymore). It might be that we have a lot of good LHP in the division, but it certainly didn't affect Andino last year.

Of course he will be offered arbitration. No way he accepts and if he does, they would have no issue trading him.

Can they trade him, without his consent? He has been playing for 11 years, all with one team. He has only 8.157 years of service time, though. I'm not quite sure if the "5 and 10" rule requires 10 full years of service, or just that you've played in the majors for 10 years.

I've heard Cuddyer likes Minnesota, and doesn't really want to leave.

I just stated this elsewhere, but one reason I was hesitant about bringing in Buck was his reputation for building doghouses and pedestals and keeping the gates to both locked.

But I don't see any reason to believe he doesn't like Reimold, or has treated him unfairly to this point.

Can they trade him, without his consent? He has been playing for 11 years, all with one team. He has only 8.157 years of service time, though. I'm not quite sure if the "5 and 10" rule requires 10 full years of service, or just that you've played in the majors for 10 years.

I've heard Cuddyer likes Minnesota, and doesn't really want to leave.

They could also offer him 20% less.

Either way, no way is he going to take a 1 year offer over the multi year deals he is going to get...hell, Minnesota may be one of the teams that offers him one of those contracts.

Archived