Connolly: Cuddyer near top of list for Orioles

Sports Guy

But I don't see any reason to believe he doesn't like Reimold, or has treated him unfairly to this point.

I have no way of knowing how he feels about Reimold, but it's interesting that LF seems to be a FA target despite the fact that Reimold was on pace for a 2.5-3 WAR season in 2011. Of course, that might just be media perception. I guess we'll start to see how Buck/Duke value Reimold as the off-season unfolds.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, as opposed to Cuddyer, Reimold's not a real "ball player" I guess.

Here is the post I started to write:

First of all, Cuddyer is a more versatile defensive player and, IMO, plays better OF defense. Second of all, Cuddyer, to my observation, is one of those guys who can hit but also do the "little things" like moving a runner over, etc. That is why Buck considers him a "baseball player." Generally speaking, the Twins have always been good at the little things, and Buck is one of those guys who appreciates those things.

Now, that said, Reimold is 4.5 years younger, has more power, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.

Then I looked up the bolded part, and it simply isn't true. Cuddyer is well below league average, over his career, in moving runners over from 2nd to 3rd with nobody out, and in getting a run home with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. He is well above average, over his career, in grounding into double plays. He's only attempted a sac bunt 8 times in his career, with a 50% success rate. As a baserunner, he has made a ton of outs on the bases over the last 6 years. In other words, he doesn't do the "little things" particularly well.

So, I was wrong about that, but I'm still right about Reimold being younger, having more power, and being cheaper.

I have no way of knowing how he feels about Reimold, but it's interesting that LF seems to be a FA target despite the fact that Reimold was on pace for a 2.5-3 WAR season in 2011. Of course, that might just be media perception. I guess we'll start to see how Buck/Duke value Reimold as the off-season unfolds.
Well, Reimold did suck for basically the last 2 years...but his September of last year really elevated him.

I wouldn't go into this offseason with the thought of handing him the LF job..he hasn't done enough to take it.

But I sure as hell am handing it to him over pissing money away on Cuddyer or Willingham.

So were basically saying that Nolan does the little things better by comparison, and is about 5 million cheaper? Sounds to me like that 5 million could be better used to sign a certain Cuban instead. How many 16 year old Domincan players could they sign with that money?

Here is the post I started to write:

Then I looked up the bolded part, and it simply isn't true. Cuddyer is well below league average, over his career, in moving runners over from 2nd to 3rd with nobody out, and in getting a run home with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. He is well above average, over his career, in grounding into double plays. He's only attempted a sac bunt 8 times in his career, with a 50% success rate. As a baserunner, he has made a ton of outs on the bases over the last 6 years. In other words, he doesn't do the "little things" particularly well.

So, I was wrong about that, but I'm still right about Reimold being younger, having more power, and being cheaper.

Interesting bit of research. Maybe you should send it to Buck. He seams open to statistics.

Well, Reimold did suck for basically the last 2 years...but his September of last year really elevated him.

I wouldn't go into this offseason with the thought of handing him the LF job..he hasn't done enough to take it.

But I sure as hell am handing it to him over pissing money away on Cuddyer or Willingham.

Right. I don't think Reimold is owed anything. I just think that if you really prefer giving a bloated contract and possibly punting a draft pick to obtain a similar, but older player simply because of intangibles, you're underrating your own assets and overrating market commodities.

What they should really be doing is looking into attaining a young bat like Blanks to plug into left.

Right. I don't think Reimold is owed anything. I just think that if you really prefer giving a bloated contract and possibly punting a draft pick to obtain a similar, but older player simply because of intangibles, you're underrating your own assets and overrating market commodities.

What they should really be doing is looking into attaining a young bat like Blanks to plug into left.

Exactly.

I have mentioned Joe Benson before...I really like his upside.

Someone like that is what I would be in favor of...but if that doesn't happen, give it to Reimold and maybe bring in DeJesus as well.

Exactly.

I have mentioned Joe Benson before...I really like his upside.

Someone like that is what I would be in favor of...but if that doesn't happen, give it to Reimold and maybe bring in DeJesus as well.

What kind of package do you think it would take to get someone like Blanks and Headley from San Diego? I'm not sure that they would have much interest in Jones since they have Maybin in CF.

What kind of package do you think it would take to get someone like Banks and Headley from San Diego? I'm not sure that they would have much interest in Jones since they have Maybin in CF.

I asked this same question before and as I recall it was Machado/Schoop, R. Bundy, and another prospect.

What kind of package do you think it would take to get someone like Blanks and Headley from San Diego? I'm not sure that they would have much interest in Jones since they have Maybin in CF.
Yea, everyone keeps mentioning Jones to SD but unless they want him for LF and he is cool with that, I don't see that happening.

Would the Pads want to trade Headley because of his impending salary increase? He is a guy that I would really like to see us acquire.

Its just so tough to say...They could value guys like say Hoes, Avery and Tillman. They could also say we don't want those guys for free.

On the ML roster, the Orioles only have so many tradeable pieces and I don't think Nick and Wieters will be on the table.

The guy, besides Jones, that they really should look to trade the most is Jim Johnson. He could very easily have more trade value than Guthrie IMO. With the Pads losing Adams to the Rangers and the Heath Bell situation up in the air, a cheap, ultra talented reliever like JJ could be someone very marketable to the Pads.

Yea, everyone keeps mentioning Jones to SD but unless they want him for LF and he is cool with that, I don't see that happening.

Would the Pads want to trade Headley because of his impending salary increase? He is a guy that I would really like to see us acquire.

Its just so tough to say...They could value guys like say Hoes, Avery and Tillman. They could say we don't want those guys for free.

On the ML roster, the Orioles only have so many tradeable pieces and I don't think Nick and Wieters will be on the table.

The guy, besides Jones, that they really should look to trade the most is Jim Johnson. He could very easily have more trade value than Guthrie IMO. With the Pads losing Adams to the Rangers and the Heath Bell situation up in the air, a cheap, ultra talented reliever like JJ could be someone very marketable to the Pads.

Agreed. Headley makes perfect sense as a guy that they might try to get rid of because of salary. I also don't really consider Blanks a option in LF for them either and he's blocked at 1B.

Another guy that I would be interested in that I think can be had without giving up the farm is Gordon Beckham.

Agreed. Headley makes perfect sense as a guy that they might try to get rid of because of salary. I also don't really consider Blanks a option in LF for them either and he's blocked at 1B.

Another guy that I would be interested in that I think can be had without giving up the farm is Gordon Beckham.

Yea...I am always going to be for acquiring cheap, young talent that has perhaps fallen out of favor.

I have been wanting us to go after Alex Gordon for the last few years, for example...Now that's not a likely option.

Yea...I am always going to be for acquiring cheap, young talent that has perhaps fallen out of favor.

I have been wanting us to go after Alex Gordon for the last few years, for example...Now that's not a likely option.

The best way to improve our core and minor league system is to go after young talent that has fallen out of favor and sign guys like Sizemore, Bedard, Haren, etc to 1 year contracts that we can flip at the trade deadline.

There is no way to legitamize wasting a pick and millions of dollars on a guy like Cuddyer at 33 years old.

If Reimold gets traded or cut for some reason, then he might have a place on the team, but only if he can be acquired for less then it will take to keep Luke Scott. Less includes the value of a 2nd round pick.

Rather put the money into a dozen teenage Dominican's.

Archived