Connolly: Cuddyer near top of list for Orioles

Sports Guy

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys are missing the big news here. Read it again...."Cuddyer is near the top of the Orioles wish list."

The key word here is "near." That obviously implies he's not AT the top, right Trea? Obviously Pujols and Fielder and Wilson and Darvish are AT the top of the list. Cuddyer is just "near" the top.

Man, I feel better already!

You guys are missing the big news here. Read it again...."Cuddyer is near the top of the Orioles wish list."

The key word here is "near." That obviously implies he's not AT the top, right Trea? Obviously Pujols and Fielder and Wilson and Darvish are AT the top of the list. Cuddyer is just "near" the top.

Man, I feel better already!

Yeah. The fact that they have a wish list at all is basically a promise to the fans that the O's will make a splash in free agency this offseason. I hope they don't betray their word on this!

i just heard he wants to play 4 more years and retire. so who is willing to give that many years?

Now that Their previous gM is gone, id think even more likely the Twins push the keep him...but if not whoknows. I also just heard his wife is preggers with twins, so it would make sense for him to prefer to be closer to home down here.

i dont think he makes sense for our orginization, but i love to see him join.

i just heard he wants to play 4 more years and retire. so who is willing to give that many years?

Now that Their previous gM is gone, id think even more likely the Twins push the keep him...but if not whoknows. I also just heard his wife is preggers with twins, so it would make sense for him to prefer to be closer to home down here.

i dont think he makes sense for our orginization, but i love to see him join.

The Twins have publicly stated that they want to cut payroll by 15 million.

Just read the whole thread... and the last two posts from CofC and Weams are a good lead in for the correction I have to make...

Cuddyer is not going to be offered arbitration. He is not going to require giving up a pick. If the industry thought the Twins were going to offer arbitration, there wouldn't be such a buzz about him.

What he does do is hit lefties:

.993 OPS in 2011

.875 ops in 2010

1.013 ops in 2009

and play multiple positions adequately. He could get plenty of starts at 2B if Brian Roberts isn't good to go. He could get plenty of starts at 3B if Reynolds gets time at 1B. EDIT: While I do think they would be bringing him in to be a close-to-everyday player, I don't think they would bring him in and make him the absolute everday Left-fielder.

I also don't expect Cuddyer to get 4 years... I'm gonna guess 2 yrs/$18.5m or 3 yrs/$26.5m. It wouldn't be my first choice but I find that to be within the realm of reason. I don't think the systems that try to determine a player's value properly quantify the value of flexibility... particularly to a team with an expensive question mark at 2B and a decent portion of the roster expected be filled by affordable pre-arb. players.

Just read the whole thread... and the last two posts from CofC and Weams are a good lead in for the correction I have to make...

Cuddyer is not going to be offered arbitration. He is not going to require giving up a pick. If the industry thought the Twins were going to offer arbitration, there wouldn't be such a buzz about him.

What he does do is hit lefties:

.993 OPS in 2011

.875 ops in 2010

1.013 ops in 2009

and play multiple positions adequately. He could get plenty of starts at 2B if Brian Roberts isn't good to go. He could get plenty of starts at 3B if Reynolds gets time at 1B. EDIT: While I do think they would be bringing him in to be a close-to-everyday player, I don't think they would bring him in and make him the absolute everday Left-fielder.

I also don't expect Cuddyer to get 4 years... I'm gonna guess 2 yrs/$18.5m or 3 yrs/$26.5m. It wouldn't be my first choice but I find that to be within the realm of reason. I don't think the systems that try to determine a player's value properly quantify the value of flexibility... particularly to a team with an expensive question mark at 2B and a decent portion of the roster expected be filled by affordable pre-arb. players.

No doubt he gets offered arbitration and no way he only gets 2/18.

One thing people continue to forget is the lack of talent on the FA market this offseason...because of that, players like Cuddyer will end up getting more than they are worth.

No doubt he gets offered arbitration and no way he only gets 2/18.

One thing people continue to forget is the lack of talent on the FA market this offseason...because of that, players like Cuddyer will end up getting more than they are worth.

If he gets offered arbitration, it'll be because he has an under-the-table arrangement with the Twins and another team to accept, get traded, then negotiate a new deal. That probably wouldn't involve the O's.

I was just popping back into this thread to add this caveat to my previous statement; and it actually would make a whole lot of sense for all involved especially if Philly is the destination.

Personally, I think he's a good target at the right price. At the prices I threw out earlier, I have moderate interest but can come up with a list of ideas I'd pursue over that. Put me at 50% interest at 2 yrs/$18-ish and 30-40% interest at the 3-yr deal. At about 3yrs/$33m I've reached zero interest.

If he gets offered arbitration, it'll be because he has an under-the-table arrangement with the Twins and another team to accept, get traded, then negotiate a new deal. That probably wouldn't involve the O's.

I was just popping back into this thread to add this caveat to my previous statement; and it actually would make a whole lot of sense for all involved especially if Philly is the destination.

Personally, I think he's a good target at the right price. At the prices I threw out earlier, I have moderate interest but can come up with a list of ideas I'd pursue over that. Put me at 50% interest at 2 yrs/$18-ish and 30-40% interest at the 3-yr deal. At about 3yrs/$33m I've reached zero interest.

Why? He made 10.5M last year.

Even if all he gets is a 2/20 deal, he will beat what he gets offered in arbitration and therefore, would decline.

Why? He made 10.5M last year.

Even if all he gets is a 2/20 deal, he will beat what he gets offered in arbitration and therefore, would decline.

If he made $10.5m last year and is coming off a pretty good year in which he also has the honor of having been an 'All-Star', how much do you think he would make from the Twins? $11.5m? $12m? Do you think he and his agent believe he would get at least $8m in free agency a year from now if he were to not reach free agency this year?

The Twins don't want to pay him $11.5-12ish million. Are they willing to risk that? Maybe. (I think 'no'.) Cuddyer's value on the free agency market goes down slightly if teams have to give up compensation picks. If he is to leave the Twins, he'd rather they don't offer him arbitration.

If the Twins, another team, and Cuddyer's agent work out a deal that Cuddyer likes in advance, then:

• The Twins don't have to worry about getting stuck with his 2012 salary but do get something in return.
  • The other team gets their man without having to risk the open free market competition, and gives up a little less than the comp picks (which in the case of Philly would be a 1st rounder).
  • Cuddyer gets a deal he likes with a team he has approved.

win-win-win

Cuddyer is not an answer for the Orioles question of: Who will help make us, and keep us, competitive in the next 2-3 years? We need talented "young blood," not 33 yr old players poised for decline. It will interesting to see who we trade to get it.

Archived