Per Roch: Bench depth being addressed...

BilboBaggins

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's amazing how this offseason (no matter which one this is) is the year where you have to act this very minute or all the good players will be gone forever.

Oh, but they will, Drungo, they will! This is our last chance before the apocalypse! 12/21/2012! It's coming! AAAIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!

He has started 400+ games at C, and was Pittsburgh's principal backstop in 2008 and 2010. My guess is that we could tolerate his defensive deficiencies in a back-up role, so long as he puts up a .700+ OPS.

If that were the case, we would have kept Jake Fox as the backup - .756 OPS last year. Plus, being the backup catcher for a team that is arguably worse than the Orioles isn't a strong point. But overall, Doumit is a better hitter.

30 games vs 125 AB? You aren't seriously asking this question. The C impacts on every pitch of every inning of those 30 games.

I kind of agree with this...not because the small number of ABs somehow "count for less" by virtue of being a small number, but because a catcher's defense (game calling, holding runners, etc.) is, to me, far more important than his offense.

I haven't given up on the idea of a trade. But either way I expect that two of the rotation spots will be new

That's certainly possible. I suspect Reynolds may be dealt. Maybe we could get somebody like David Hernandez. :) Seriously, I hope it's a young pitcher with options or maybe a Bedard type with some upside. I think we might as well keep Guthrie at this point. Barring injury/trade, I see the below list as being fairly solid (with Hunter being debatable).

Arrieta

Britton

Guthrie

Hunter

I kind of agree with this...not because the small number of ABs somehow "count for less" by virtue of being a small number, but because a catcher's defense (game calling, holding runners, etc.) is, to me, far more important than his offense.
The problem with the 125 AB is no matter how good a hitter he might be, in that small number of PA's he might not be very productive. But even if he hit like Piazza for 125 AB, how many W's is that. And of course if he could hit like Piazza he would be a starting C.

If that were the case, we would have kept Jake Fox as the backup - .756 OPS last year. Plus, being the backup catcher for a team that is arguably worse than the Orioles isn't a strong point. But overall, Doumit is a better hitter.

Doumit wasn't the backup C in Pittsburgh. And he's a much better hitter than Jake Fox.

The problem with the 125 AB is no matter how good a hitter he might be, in that small number of PA's he might not be very productive. But even if he hit like Piazza for 125 AB, how many W's is that. And of course if he could hit like Piazza he would be a starting C.

I would think he'd get 250+ PAs at DH/1b/RF, if he could manage to stay healthy. You're not signing him to be exclusively the backup C, you're signing him as as a super-sub.

That's certainly possible. I suspect Reynolds may be dealt. Maybe we could get somebody like David Hernandez. :) Seriously, I hope it's a young pitcher with options or maybe a Bedard type with some upside. I think we might as well keep Guthrie at this point. Barring injury/trade, I see the below list as being fairly solid (with Hunter being debatable).

Arrieta

Britton

Guthrie

Hunter

I'd debate both Hunter and Arrieta. Jake is coming off surgery and might start in the pen. He may end up being more effective there as well. We could trade Reimold, JJ and Hoes for Floyd. or some combination of Reimold, JJ, Tillman, Matusz, Reynolds, Adsams,or Guthrie, for some younger SP with more upside. We could sign a vet like Harang or Garcia. I see only Britton and Guthrie(barring a trade) as sure things.

I'd debate both Hunter and Arrieta. Jake is coming off surgery and might start in the pen. He may end up being more effective there as well. We could trade Reimold, JJ and Hoes for Floyd. or some combination of Reimold, JJ, Tillman, Matusz, Reynolds, Adsams,or Guthrie, for some younger SP with more upside. We could sign a vet like Harang or Garcia. I see only Britton and Guthrie(barring a trade) as sure things.

Pretty minor surgery for Arrieta. I don't see how that would effect him. I disagree he should be considered for the pen at this point. He's the highest upsdie starter we have imo. I like Hunter, but we'll see I guess.

Those players are always available.

There is no hurry to make this a priority.

On top of that, we don't even know who the names are. They could be bringing back Deivi Cruz part 2.

I agree with you but if DD feels like finding a backup catcher and a 4th outfielder is very important for this team next year, why not go get him now if he is there? If there is someone that the organization really likes in that role.

I agree with you but if DD feels like finding a backup catcher and a 4th outfielder is very important for this team next year, why not go get him now if he is there? If there is someone that the organization really likes in that role.
I guess it will just depend on who they get.

If they add a guy like DeJesus, good...I think he is an undervalued guy because of his defense and the fact that he had a poor year last year, offensively.

But if they are just adding your normal, run of the mill AAAA type player, then what's the hurry?

I guess it will just depend on who they get.

If they add a guy like DeJesus, good...I think he is an undervalued guy because of his defense and the fact that he had a poor year last year, offensively.

But if they are just adding your normal, run of the mill AAAA type player, then what's the hurry?

Completely agree.

At this point we don't even know who our 3rd outfielder is.

It just seems a little backwards to be signing bench guys and spare parts when there are still so many holes in the starting lineup and rotation. The O's should be prioritizing the starting players first-- you can always add backups later in the offseason.

At this point we don't even know who our 3rd outfielder is.

It just seems a little backwards to be signing bench guys and spare parts when there are still so many holes in the starting lineup and rotation. The O's should be prioritizing the starting players first-- you can always add backups later in the offseason.

Unless you think there are better options for 1B than Reynolds, 3B and LF are the holes, with Reimold/Davis in LF and Davis/Andino at 3B. So these "bench" guys will options at both those positions IMO. A guy like Punto to play 3B and 2B and a guy like Kubel. a LH bat to share LF with Reimols=d and DH.

Archived