Roch: Duquette confirms no Fielder, Reynolds to 1B?

ChaosLex

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just wanted the last one.

Weaver extended during the regular season.

Which means Weaver wasn't a free agent. You gave me probably the only one. Fielder has already turned down 5/$100 million with a chance to go 6/$120 million. Boras will find some team to pay more than that for Fat Prince.

Which means Weaver wasn't a free agent. You gave me probably the only one. Fielder has already turned down 5/$100 million with a chance to go 6/$120 million. Boras will find some team to pay more than that for Fat Prince.

I expect him to sign for 7/160-175 or maybe less if his market doesn't develop.

Right now his market is Seattle and nobody else. And I'm pretty sure Prince has seen what has happened to careers of hitters once they go to Seattle...

Right now his market is Seattle and nobody else. And I'm pretty sure Prince has seen what has happened to careers of hitters once

they go to Seattle...

I'll actually agree with this. The fielder buzz is reasonably low going in to the winter meetings. That could be posturing on the part of GMs, but maybe the market for him isn't as big as we would think. He doesn't seem to be a perfect for everywhere so maybe he goes cheap er than we think.

Right now his market is Seattle and nobody else. And I'm pretty sure Prince has seen what has happened to careers of hitters once they go to Seattle...

add the Cubs and whatever teams lose out on Pujols. The team that gives Fat Prince a 7 year deal is going to regret it. Get it through your head, we don't have to worry about the Orioles making that mistake with a flat payroll.

He would not put the Orioles in contention in 2012. The O's wouldn't be in contention in years 5,6,7 with a huge boat anchor on the payroll. They'll be eating his contract faster than he can chow down on cheeseburgers.

princeburgers.jpg

Four years tops, he breaks down faster than you can say, "Mo Vaughn." If you're willing to eat two years of a six year deal, then have at him. 275 lbs? With one foot on the scale, otherwise tack on another 50 to that number.
I'll be in the minority with this and say, we don't want him for what it would take to get him. He's listed at 5'11" 275. Yeah, with one foot on the scale. People advocating a five or six year deal should know that he's a post-Boston Mo Vaughn at the end of the deal. I know he's 27 now, but Fielder was three years younger than Vaughn when he played his first full season. Vaughn started a huge decline at age 31, and was was out of baseball at 35.

I guess we have to wait until Prince officially signs elsewhere to start your going-away party. If Boras does his job, that will be before Christmas.

I'll actually agree with this. The fielder buzz is reasonably low going in to the winter meetings. That could be posturing on the part of GMs, but maybe the market for him isn't as big as we would think. He doesn't seem to be a perfect for everywhere so maybe he goes cheap er than we think.

There just doesn't seem to be much of a buzz for anything in the offseason this year.

Maybe he does go cheaper than we think. He's still not coming here.

There just doesn't seem to be much of a buzz for anything in the offseason this year.

Maybe he does go cheaper than we think. He's still not coming here.

Completely agree he's not coming here. Nor do I think that even at Fielder sized discount that it would be a prudent move for the orioles. But as we approach the Winter meetings the free agent market has been completely mum.

I don't honestly think fielder is anything more than a Dh which limits his value in my eyes, but if his contact comes down below what Texeira got AND you think he's a first baseman he could become an interesting option.

I think a lot is depending on Pujols.

Agreed. However, I just can't see him going anywhere other than back to STL. It'd be one of the biggest heists in offseason history if he went elsewhere, especially after winning a World Series. The fans in STL would go crazy.

But it probably does hinge upon him. Fielder should definitely wait to see what Pujols gets and base his asking price off that...not that they're in the same ballpark.

Agreed. However, I just can't see him going anywhere other than back to STL. It'd be one of the biggest heists in offseason history if he went elsewhere, especially after winning a World Series. The fans in STL would go crazy.

But it probably does hinge upon him. Fielder should definitely wait to see what Pujols gets and base his asking price off that...not that they're in the same ballpark.

The Rangers and Marlins are going to make it hard on them though.

CJ Wilson is a big fish as well in all of this.

The Rangers and Marlins are going to make it hard on them though.

CJ Wilson is a big fish as well in all of this.

I agree about the timing with Pujols setting the market for Fat Prince. Add the Nationals in the mix. The point is there are more teams than the Mariners in the bidding.

I agree about the timing with Pujols setting the market for Fat Prince. Add the Nationals in the mix. The point is there are more teams than the Mariners in the bidding.

Any way you slice it, this thread should be in the MLB Section because there is less than 0% that Fielder or Pujols will have any link to the Orioles, other then him coming in here and kicking our ass from time to time.

Archived