Updated: Orioles acquire Taylor Teagarden

Sports Guy

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha, no. Just strange to see teammates congratulating a guy on being traded away.

Why? It's a big deal for the guy. I congratulated my boss when she accepted a position with another company. I still work there and enjoy being there and think my job and company are nice to work for.

Why? It's a big deal for the guy. I congratulated my boss when she accepted a position with another company. I still work there and enjoy being there and think my job and company are nice to work for.

This isn't accepting a position with another company. It's being sent off from one company to the other by your boss. It's a lateral move, just into a better organization. Which is why I thought it was funny. Like chuckle funny. Not like let's spend a lot of time dissecting it funny.

I'm OK with the trade, but I think the argument that's being made is that we could have picked up someone not too far off of Teagarden for peanuts and kept Henry and the PTBNL. Jose Morales is 28 and has a ML career OPS of .709 in 252 PA and a 34% CS rate. Certainly he doesn't have TT's power but he'd be a servicable backup for 6-yr free agent money.

Again, nothing to lose sleep over but it does make me scratch my head a little.

I think this is such a meaningless argument and I am really starting to believe that some folks would rather have a stocked minor league system than Just Win Baby. I mean, in the end, if it makes the major league team better, and this does, then who cares? Now if this was a Ricky Williams for your entire draft class type of moronic move then of course it is stupid...but this is just so far from that it's funny.

It's a show of a lack of faith in this organization that so many people are upset we've lost a fringe-relief prospect. If there is a fungible ML quantity in abundance it's relievers (I do not agree that quality back-up catchers fall into this category). For goodness sake, upgrading the bench might be the easiest way to improve the on-the-field product, that certainly doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to improve. I'm sure Duquette is aware of that.

I'm not overly surprised Henry was the guy Texas acquired as I won't be surprised if Jarret Martin is the low minor league PTBL. ;)

I'm also not sure why the hand wringing over this. Henry does have some upside, and know several scouts liked him, this his ranking, but let's remember, this guy has had a hard time staying healthy and when I saw him, I didn't see a ton of life on the fastball. Grant it he may have been tired when I saw him in Frederick, but he didn't wow me with his stuff.

He's a C level prospect that has potential, but he has a lot of hurdles to overcome including a long injury history. I can see why Texas would take him though since he does have some upside if he can stay healthy, but at some point you have to give up something to get something. Henry's upside is probably Jason Berken.

Teagarden is a decent back up catcher option. He's good defensively, has a little pop, and is head and shoulders above what Tatum gave us the last two years. Teagarden might allow Buck to rest Wieters a little more often or allow Wieters to DH some in order to keep him fresh.

This trade has Buck's evaluation finger prints all over it. Buck was in charge before DD was hired. That is when Tatum was lost by passing him through waiver. Buck didn't value Tatum enough to keep him on the 40 man roster over Viola. That says something and it wasn't about Tatum's bat. It was probably about running the game, leading the pitching staff and calling the pitches. Tatum caught 29% of stealer last year which normally doesn't get a catcher fired. But Buck was not a Tatum fan apparently.

Buck knows Teagarden from Texas. He must like him and again it is not about his bat. His about the way he runs a game and handles pitchers. Teagarden is about a 600 OPS hitter and at 28 it is probably fantasy to think he is going to get better. Buck likes Teagarden better - period.

DD probably decide to trade Henry and the PTBNL. I'll let you guys fight over that one.

I absolutely love that posters are starting to value getting Wieters some rest. I have been postings about that for two years and taking a lot of spears for it. Now maybe some other people are agreeing that is the best move for the club.

Taylor Teagarden, whose name sounds like a little girl's doll and playset.

Taylor Teagarden, a backup catcher, whose OPS+ the last three years are 65-56-51.

Taylor Teagarden generates 190+ posts and counting?

Man, are we ever desperate for any kind of news this offseason. ;)

Sounds like you have three most excellent ideas for new threads.

Archived