• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shocking that the market for an obese 1B, who wants 7+ WAR type money and being a 4(ish) WAR player isn't just brimming with suitors. I mean, throw 200M at him over 8 years and you might get good value for the first two years before he's too heavy to carry his own weight, or just evaporates into the abyss like other players in his mold shortly after they reach 30.

I am sure a bunch of teams would love Fielder. To think otherwise is silly. Problem is that most of the big spenders already have first basemen tied to long term contracts and pujlos is out there as well. He will get a huge contract from someone.

Who cares how much a free agent is realistically worth.

Over the life of the entire deal, there are very few FA's who are worth it.

Free agency is what it is. Older players being paid for past performance. When signing a free agent, you should accept and mitigate the loss that comes with it. No need to be so far-sighted and worry about what might happen. Fans expect results now.

Who cares how much a free agent is realistically worth.

Over the life of the entire deal, there are very few FA's who are worth it.

Free agency is what it is. Older players being paid for past performance. When signing a free agent, you should accept and mitigate the loss that comes with it. No need to be so far-sighted and worry about what might happen. Fans expect results now.

Not the smart ones. Smart fans care about the good of their team over the long haul. That's why they are fans, and not people who only watch the good teams.

Not the smart ones. Smart fans care about the good of their team over the long haul. That's why they are fans, and not people who only watch the good teams.

I can't tell if your being a dick or not, but I'll entertain you with a response. I'm speaking in general terms about real life and baseball. We are all debating about our trades and the merit of signing a fat guy who might not pay off in years 5-8 of his contract. To the average Orioles fan things like this actually don't matter. To smart fans like me, they don't matter either because we lose in the short term (because we suck) and we lose in the long term (because its free agency).

The other option is rebuild. That worked out great with Andy. Let's endure another 5 years of losing and then restart with another GM. Keep in mind, while we do this, the rest of the AL East improves GREATLY.

I'm just a pissed off fan in general and pointing out that either option doesnt work. It just baffles me that people still dont understand if you sign a free agent you should expect to lose some in the middle/end. Sometimes even in the beginning.

Here's the latest on Boras from Fielder.

"We've been in the hotel room for three days, meeting with a variety of teams," Boras said Wednesday night. "It’s very clear that teams have a variety of interest in Prince, a number of teams, which makes the job very complicated. Some teams have different levels of interest from others. I think everyone has a plan for him that they told us.

"I’m going to be leaving here and meeting with Prince and talk about the varying opportunities for him. Then we’ll sit down and begin the process of letting him tell us what directions he wants to take. He’ll kind of prioritize it for me.

"He asked me to take an open view and collect information from each club. I didn't meet with too many teams that said they were three years away and were thinking about signing Prince.

"We’ve got a large number of teams, almost a quarter of them, with new general managers. They’re getting to know their players, getting to know their staffs. In doing so, they want to be thorough and calculated about what they do. You’re talking about franchise commitments. They have to report to ownership as a result of our meetings and get back to me on that.

Asked what the timetable might be for finding a deal for Fielder, Boras said, "I do know that we're going to get a variety of approaches to this. I think the first thing I've got to find out is what Prince really wants to do and where he wants to do it, and see if his needs meet the interests of the top group of teams that he wants to go to.

"I know this. We're surprised in some instances about the teams that have come to us, knowing their rosters. So, he has some new things to think about."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/135221993.html

It seems very well like the Orioles could be one of the clubs he's talking about

And then there's this tweet from Haudricourt:

Boras, on if geography would influence Fielder: "I just think he likes fences that are short to home plate. That's geographics he likes."

New Marlins stadium RF line - 335' to HP

Rogers Centre RF line - 328' to HP

Nationals Park RF line - 335' to HP

Wrigley Field RF line - 353' to HP

Safeco Field RF line - 326' to HP

Oriole Park at Camden Yards RF line - 318' to HP

I'm just a pissed off fan in general and pointing out that either option doesnt work. It just baffles me that people still dont understand if you sign a free agent you should expect to lose some in the middle/end. Sometimes even in the beginning.

Which is generally why you wait to have a solid foundation in place before going into free agency with any weight.

Why should anyone think that a bad idea is suddenly a good one because some folks are "pissed off"?

Everyone realizes that FA is inefficient, and that you "lose some in the end." That's why timing is of value - you mitigate some of that inefficiency by using leverage (i.e., you make the wins you pay for early more efficient by having them be valuable).

Also, the rest of the AL East is not "improving greatly." The rest of the AL East is in a variety of different positions - some appear to be improving (perhaps "greatly"), like the Jays, some are paying huge amounts to maintain (Sox, Yanks), and some maintaining by being ruthlessly efficient. There's something to be learned from all of them.

Archived