Orioles closing in on Japanese lefty Tsuyoshi Wada (Update: Wada is signed)

praveen520

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What if...we sign Chen and have put in a bid and win for Darvish? We could have 3 Japanese starters in our rotation next year.
Dare to dream.

I know right? It is fun to think on it though. And, I don't know why, I find it interesting that all three pitch in the Japanese league but Darvish is half Iranian and Chen is Taiwanese. It would be cool. Again, I know, I know - I am not getting ahead of myself, just daydreaming a little. :)

What if...we sign Chen and have put in a bid and win for Darvish? We could have 3 Japanese starters in our rotation next year.

If we are going to do that why not go for an all Japanese starters. It would be amusing and we could market the team in Japan.

Wow, Duquette actually signed Wada? I'm impressed! I like him a lot and think he has the skills to translate to a good #3 starter in MLB. Now if he can just bring in Darvish, we're looking like real contenders and I'll totally forgive DD for the Teagarden/Eveland trades...

Not interested in Chen though. Just get Darvish!!!

I am cool with this signing. I don't think the chances of Wada sticking in a MLB rotation are very good, but you never know I guess. He'll live mid-80s as a starter and will work in a nice slider and an show-me change that should only register about 5 MPH differential. He has a lot of deception in his delivery, but that can only take you so far as a starter. I actually think he'd make a very nice reliever and should be pretty devastating against lefties (though his deception plays well against righties as well). Basically, I wouldn't have been interested in committing 8 figures guaranteed because I don't have faith in him as a starter. This contract was basically my threshold for Wada. As with Koji, I think Baltimore promised Wada a crack at the rotation and that sealed the deal. We'll see how it works out.

Per Connolly:

danconnollysun Dan Connolly

Hearing #Orioles are "really working on" trying to sign Chen Wei-Yin 2. He's younger (26), throws harder than Wada. Will cost more $ & yrs

I would go up to 2/14 or so to ink Chen, whom I believe can start in MLB. I might hesitate to go to three years due to a decrease in velo in 2011, but I'd be willing to work in options/escalators.

Connolly Tweets on Chen:

Hearing #Orioles are "really working on" trying to sign Chen Wei-Yin 2. He's younger (26), throws harder than Wada. Will cost more $ & yrs
There's more competition for Chen but #Orioles apparently being aggressive. Don't think 1 MLB team has ever signed 2 SP out of Japan in 1 yr

The deal's fine, but I'm more interested in whether he can get major league hitters out.

So, now we have:

Guthrie

Wada

Britton

Arrieta

Matusz

Tillman

Bergesen

Hunter

Simon

Eveland

It's getting pretty crowded in there, especially if they add Chen. At that point, maybe we are trading someone away.

Here's the way I see the rotation right now:

Guthrie

Britton

Wada

Arrieta

Matusz/Eveland/Hunter/Simon

Eveland, Hunter and Simon can fight for spots in the pen if they don't make the rotation, but Matusz would go back to Norfolk if he doesn't make the rotation.

I'm fascinated by how heavily DD is committing to the international market so quickly. It's almost like he is "re-branding" the Orioles as a "go-to" team for international players. That could either be a big success or fail miserably.

How cool would it be to sign these two pitchers and bring Koji back? And then there's Darvish.....

It would make the team more appealing to Darvish if Wei-Yin, Koji, and Wada were already here. We'd have to hire a Japanese speaking pitching coach.

Archived