Saying bye to Matusz?

RyanW

That reminds me of people who bought stock at 70 bucks a share and when it hit 10 dollars a share saying there is no way they would sell it now as they would lose all that money on it. Well you can't let past value effect what you think something is worth now. Or next year you could have something with zero value.

In this case the O's don't own the stock, they actually own the whole company. So the question is, if you own a subsidiary and it's worth 100 mill and it falls in worth by 50% because of a bad economy and you can sell the equipment for 60 million, do you sell it right then?

Or do you wait and see if the equipment can back to doing something worth 40% more than what you might sell it for that day.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That reminds me of people who bought stock at 70 bucks a share and when it hit 10 dollars a share saying there is no way they would sell it now as they would lose all that money on it. Well you can't let past value effect what you think something is worth now. Or next year you could have something with zero value.

Right, except in your analogy they could only lose 10 dollars a share so risking it on the chance that it goes back to near 70 might be worth it, assuming that the 10 dollars a share isn't the milk money. If Matusz truly has 1/7th of the value he had last season then I would stick it out and risk getting nothing for him on the chance he bounces back instead of a c-level prospect.

The problem with your analysis is that you are ignoring the most important variable -- the underlying knowledge fueling the decision-making process. There might be reasons to believe the stock will raise in value. There is certainly no argument, short of a hypothetical existing injury, for assigning Matusz to Norfolk as of December.

How about his performance was terrible and he should not be rewarded with a ML position on a team that plans on being competitive without an impressive performance in ST or in AAA?

The Orioles need to have the best 25 players on the roster.

How about his performance was terrible and he should not be rewarded with a ML position on a team that plans on being competitive?

Setting aside the fact that your statement doesn't make sense in the context of the conversation, I assume you believe (regardless of how they look in the Spring) Boston will be starting Crawford in AAA and the White Sox will be putting Dunn in AAA?

That's awfully punitive for someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

Matusz had the worst season in the history of baseball for a pitcher I believe. That should be grounds enough.

We are not rebuilding, therefore every fringe player needs to earn their spot. Duquette has no pet players now so he's going to call it like he sees it.

Right, except in your analogy they could only lose 10 dollars a share so risking it on the chance that it goes back to near 70 might be worth it, assuming that the 10 dollars a share isn't the milk money. If Matusz truly has 1/7th of the value he had last season then I would stick it out and risk getting nothing for him on the chance he bounces back instead of a c-level prospect.

Well we at least got Andino for Penn. Matusz could be used in a package quite easily.

Matusz had the worst season in the history of baseball for a pitcher I believe. That should be grounds enough.

We are not rebuilding, therefore every fringe player needs to earn their spot. Duquette has no pet players now so he's going to call it like he sees it.

But until last season, wasn't the worst season ever title held by Roy Halladay?

Guest rochester

I am not sure I follow the "dumb move" philosophy. Him coming in out of shape last year is inexcusable to me.... the rumors are bothersome as well (I thought Palmer verified it but didn't say whom). Some say that to get something we have to give up something.... if we can get a large percentage of his value as of last winter I think it may be worth the risk.

Also, I know he is working with Brady.. has anyone heard how it's going? If Brady's report comes back neutral or negative re: how hard he works is that not worrisome?

Saying all that, if we get a bad return it is a stupid move :D

But until last season, wasn't the worst season ever title held by Roy Halladay?
Paging Drungo to the podium. Paging Jon Wilt to the podium, thank you!

I'm sure he's at least half right... the worst season by a pitcher is likely an Oriole.

Archived