Prince could accept 3 year deal

Osandbohs83

I agree with your "window to compete" philosophy that many laughed at you about. However, it's tough for me to pay Fielder more $$$ per year than we offered Tex. Fielder is not a Prince with the glove at 1B. He's a tad better than just a DH. If I'm paying $20m+ per year for someone, they need to be an offensive monster and above league average defense. I'd prefer the Mariners sign him and trade for Smoak. Or trade for one of KC's many 1b.

Smoak is unproven though.

We've got enough talent that needs to grow and enough projects on this team already.

We need a proven threat in the middle of the order that can get on base.

If we are going to compete with this core and not waste their prime years, we need a bat like Fielder. And considering he's the only bat like himself out there other than Joey Votto, who is not available and will have a ton of competition when he is, we need him specifically.

The Orioles passed up on the other opportunities.

They didn't develop that power hitting threat for the middle of the lineup, choosing to solely focus on pitching instead. They passed on Tex and Holliday and trading for Adrian Gonzalez and Miguel Cabrera.

Fielder is what is left now and he's still a great fit for what this team is trying to do.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why even monitor the market then? Why not just declare you are out like all the other teams did?

Duquette isn't stupid. He knows he's not landing Fielder for less than $20 million per season.

So I guess my keys are in the jar...

You should not stop posting here, even if we do nothing for the rest of the off-season. I'm sure you are going to remain a fan whether you post here or not, you might as well have the support group around you. This is the thing, you need to have more realistic expectations about what this team will or won't do. I believe things are being done the right way, starting from the floor and building to the ceiling. You really only punish yourself by leaving, and you should just continue to talk baseball, even though you feel the product isn't what you expect it to be right now.

Why even monitor the market then? Why not just declare you are out like all the other teams did?

Duquette isn't stupid. He knows he's not landing Fielder for less than $20 million per season.

So I guess my keys are in the jar...

Roch has no idea what the Orioles will do. Is Roch quoting a source here? No, he is just stating his opinion. Why weams called this an "update" is beyond me, since there is no actual news or new information in Roch's piece.

I seriously doubt we will aggressively pursue Fielder, but this piece (I am not going to call it an "article," because it isn't) doesn't add anything.

Roch has no idea what the Orioles will do. Is Roch quoting a source here? No, he is just stating his opinion. Why weams called this an "update" is beyond me, since there is no actual news or new information in Roch's piece.

I seriously doubt we will aggressively pursue Fielder, but this piece (I am not going to call it an "article," because it isn't) doesn't add anything.

Because its a joke and while it is an opinion it is a reporter giving his honest assumption of where everything stands with Fielder. Also its a joke.

You guys really need to start understanding these guys have their opinions for a reason...and that reason isn't something they are pulling our of their asses.

I personally dont think much of Roch... I wont call him any names here cause I dont want to pick up a violation. But he is now another Angelos flunky as he works for MASN and thats how it works when you work for the worst team owner in baseball.

You are right. I will remove it, I thought he must have heard something to state that.

Uhh...yeah, unless it's a reason you happen to disagree with.

No its not.

I have personally spoken to some of these guys. I know what they are doing. They aren't pulling these opinions out of their butts, not when they say things like Roch said.

If he is saying that, its because he is hearing it.

That doesn't mean that if the years come down that the Orioles do not change their minds but he said what he said for a reason, not just to throw out some baseless opinion about something.

No its not.

I have personally spoken to some of these guys. I know what they are doing. They aren't pulling these opinions out of their butts, not when they say things like Roch said.

If he is saying that, its because he is hearing it.

That doesn't mean that if the years come down that the Orioles do not change their minds but he said what he said for a reason, not just to throw out some baseless opinion about something.

I am sure Roch has reasons for his opinion. I'm simply stating that this piece isn't based on anything new. It's a restatement of opinions he already held.

However, Rich's well-informed opinions are still just opinions. Like his opinion that Terry Crowley was returning as hitting coach.

I am sure Roch has reasons for his opinion. I'm simply stating that this piece isn't based on anything new. It's a restatement of opinions he already held.

However, Rich's well-informed opinions are still just opinions. Like his opinion that Terry Crowley was returning as hitting coach.

Its also a joke. He posted it on new years eve. He probably got a few laughs out of a few people, and that was his intent.

All I will say about Roch is that, he can't be trusted with his reports. I guess I should say that his reports aren't always accurate....

At this point, it doesn't sound like they have the inside track.

I was previously told not to completely dismiss the possibility, but again, Guerrero would be signed only at a bargain price.

I don't sense that we've reached that point. The official didn't give any indication that Guerrero was about to fall into his lap, or that sudden negotiations had taken place that changed the Vlady landscape.

LINK

As we saw with Guerrero, a "sexy" big name free agent who was likely only to get a 1 year deal, was a player that the Orioles DIDNT have interest in, and that MacPhail, denied having interest in.

So from what we have, just because someone says it, doesn't mean that its accurate. Just because Roch says that we aren't interested in Fielder, doesn't mean that we are, and visa versa.

Actually, for what it's worth, here is what I said last year on January 20th about signing Vlad:

By adding Vlad, the Orioles have the option to trade either Scott, Pie, or Reimold. Obviously who doesn't get traded will compete for the LF job and the other will be on the bench.

With the FA market not full of pitching, it leaves us to explore trade options. With Luke Scott coming off a career year, he will be enticing to many teams out there. For example, the Rays need offense, and if they miss out on the available DHs, they quie possibly may look via trade. If the O's sgn Vlad, Scott looks pretty good to the Rays, filling a LH power spot that Pena filled the last couple years. If we match up and say Scott, Snyder, Tillman and cash for Shields, they may look to trade.

I'm not saying Tampa is the best option, I'm saying that by adding Vlad we add to our trading resources.

Note that, Shields coming off a 5.18 ERA season in 2010, could have been an Orioles target. Tampa lost their LH power bat in Pena, who was strictly a 1B and could DH. Scott could have DH, 1B, and LF for Tampa.

So for a guy that is now a Free Agent, and hurt, a journeyman first baseman, and Tillman, we might have been able to get Shields. (The guy put up a +5 ERA in 2010 which should have diminished his value.)

You should not stop posting here, even if we do nothing for the rest of the off-season. I'm sure you are going to remain a fan whether you post here or not, you might as well have the support group around you. This is the thing, you need to have more realistic expectations about what this team will or won't do. I believe things are being done the right way, starting from the floor and building to the ceiling. You really only punish yourself by leaving, and you should just continue to talk baseball, even though you feel the product isn't what you expect it to be right now.

Second this!

Archived