Update on Jones to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado, Plus

Roll Tide

I know somebody that knows Jones that said he would want to extend if the Orioles would commit to winning.

Jones wants to be here, but like most players he wants to see that he won't be wasting his FA years here.

If the Orioles aren't going to commit to winning now with this core, then I don't blame Jones for extending and the whole thing should be blown up, Wieters included as he'll net you the most prospects that you can use to build toward 2014.

I know this. This is what he told me.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know somebody that knows Jones that said he would want to extend if the Orioles would commit to winning.
Well the O's obviously haven't commited to winning this year, and unless the young SP's all have breakout years, we win 86 games this season, and then sign Matt Cain next fall, I doubt he extends then.

Some nice negotiations through the press. The Braves may want to trade JJ and perhaps JJ would be our best or one of our better SPs - that said, being the best Os SP is not a high bar to clear after last season and, IMO, JJ would not even crack the rotation for the Rays.

I understand with JJ's salary increasing and the young pitchers on the horizon that Frank Wren is trying to move JJ, but Jurrjens is not a big factor for the Os receiving Jones. If you look at Atlanta's collection of talent, it's not practical to start a discussion for Jones by telling DD that Beachy, Minor, Delgado, Vizcaino and Teheran off limits. It's probably why DD asked for two of them - in order to loosen away one. Obtaining those quality young pitching prospects are DD's number one priority.

I do not believe the Rockies entering this as a third team is a viable option based on names presented.

I would like to ask a question about Jones. I've noticed most folks here agree that players reach their prime at certain ages, so that being said AJ should be entering his prime about now. Right? If not, ehat makes his development different from other players?

He's probably my favorite a Oriole, and I do understand trading him, but if he stays I would be happy as well. A trade to atlanta would work for me, because I follow them as much as I do the Orioles. I just think if it doesn't happen now it could still happen in season, and he would net a great return then. Especially so if Atlanta is struggling with offense.

Toss aside Matusz, Tillman, Bergesen, and Simon, and give their 53 starts to your mythical 2-win pitchers. The Orioles are now a 75-win team, and have added about $20M a year in payroll. Maybe more, since even ubiquitous 2-win pitchers have choices. Add Prince Fielder at $25M+ per, and they're now a 79-win team with a $110M+ payroll. So there you go, if everything works out great the O's have maxed out the payroll and almost have a .500 team.

You obviously don't believe in WAR. This is a 76-77 win team now with the additions made this offseason assuming no major improvement from the roster. If you toss aside Bergesen, Tillman, Matusz and Simon you lose 1.4 fWAR. Replace that with four 2.0 fWAR pitchers, and you've now gained 6.6 fWAR and low and behold we are a .500+ team.

Add Fielder and some internal improvement, and now you are looking at a possible contender.

From what I'm hearing, he (Adam) thinks a deal is getting done fairly quickly. When I talked to him, he said that he has nothing against Baltimore, he broke on to the scene with them, and he WOULD extend. He loves Baltimore, it's his second home, and he loves the fans. However, he said that he believe that the organization needs to do better as a whole to bridge the gap from losing to winning fairly quickly. To compliment Trea's statements, Jones said, (paraphrasing), "You know, we are all at that age where we will be hitting out peak years, and this is our time to shine. We need a bat, and a few more pitchers, and I think we can do it. You'll see how special our young pitching is soon."

That's all I have for now.

Will try to get more hen I talk to him tomorrow.

BTW, when I asked his mom about the trade talks, she said "No comment, but things are moving fast, and I'm trying to keep up with it."

You obviously don't believe in WAR. This is a 76-77 win team now with the additions made this offseason assuming no major improvement from the roster.

Add Fielder and some internal improvement, and now you are looking at a possible contender.

Or there is the possibility that WAR, particularly in your case, is overused and misrepresented as some kind of biblical prophecy. We have been predicting, and by we that means people here and in the media, that the O's would be better over the past several seasons, and every year the team continues to perform below the bar. It's not underperforming if they continue to miss it - just means the team sucks.

You're using the WAR mantra because you're obsessed with signing an overpriced 1B who won't do a lick of good at getting us into the playoffs.

We're a 68 win team - forget WAR. And we're a 70 win team next year unless our pitching stops sucking it badly. Our pitching sucks - even to the out-of-touch fan, it should be painfully obvious that's the problem by now. I like Jones in the lineup next year and beyond, but if he's not interested all that much in resigning, then trading him for better pitching prospects is just sound thinking.

You obviously don't believe in WAR. This is a 76-77 win team now with the additions made this offseason assuming no major improvement from the roster. If you toss aside Bergesen, Tillman, Matusz and Simon you lose 1.4 fWAR. Replace that with four 2.0 fWAR pitchers, and you've now gained 6.6 fWAR and low and behold we are a .500+ team.

The bolded is like $40M, Trea! Then Fielder's 25 on top. You think Angelos suddenly takes the payroll north of 125??? It's wholly unrealistic.

Or there is the possibility that WAR, particularly in your case, is overused and misrepresented as some kind of biblical prophecy. We have been predicting, and by we that means people here and in the media, that the O's would be better over the past several seasons, and every year the team continues to perform below the bar. It's not underperforming if they continue to miss it - just means the team sucks.

You're using the WAR mantra because you're obsessed with signing an overpriced 1B who won't do a lick of good at getting us into the playoffs.

We're a 68 win team - forget WAR. And we're a 70 win team next year unless our pitching stops sucking it badly. Our pitching sucks - even to the out-of-touch fan, it should be painfully obvious that's the problem by now. I like Jones in the lineup next year and beyond, but if he's not interested all that much in resigning, then trading him for better pitching prospects is just sound thinking.

Especially THIS offseason when he's at his peak value.

The bolded is like $40M, Trea! Then Fielder's 25 on top. You think Angelos suddenly takes the payroll north of 125??? It's wholly unrealistic.

No not neccessarily. The key is finding that pitching for cheap like the Yankees did with Freddy Garcia.

You already have Guthrie and Britton that will give you 2.0+ fWAR. So then you need to find three more. Wada could be one. Eveland could surprise as well.

There are plenty of SP candidates out there. EJax is going to have to sign for less than he wants and if you can get him for 11 million for 3 years, you've got 3.0+ fWAR potential right there. Gavin Floyd is another 3.0+ fWAR pitcher that we can get in a salary dump.

You don't have to spend huge dollar amounts on pitching to get results. You just have to have the scouting in place to know that this guy is going to rebound or continue to be solid.

Jones does not have to be traded to get the pitching we need as there is plenty of opportunity to improve the staff with what is out there.

Archived