Swaim on twitter: Nationals to sign Prince Fielder to 8 year deal?

Greg

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's the right age and price that we've come to expect. I hope if the Nats sign Fielder and we sign Damon the O's don't insult our intelligence with some press conference to celebrate that kind of bargain bin signing.

He is at a good age but he's the wrong body type. When I look at Fielder I can't help but think of guys like Mo Vaughn, his dad etc... who fall off considerably in their early 30s. The question with him is can he avoid that fate. If so what is it that makes you think he would be able to avoid that fate. And if you don't have confidence that he'll avoid that fate then isn't signing him a bad decision at the length / dollars it will take to sign him?

I'm just going to assume this is true for a moment. Good for the Nats. This is an awesome move for them. They have a really good mix of young players in the field and on the mound. This is a move that puts them into serious contention in the NL East. Quite frankly, the Nats are where we want to be. They have a good core, and they have a stocked system which allows them to make a move for a player they need (Gio). As much as we want Prince, Prince will do a lot more for the Nats than he would for us.

He is at a good age but he's the wrong body type. When I look at Fielder I can't help but think of guys like Mo Vaughn, his dad etc... who fall off considerably in their early 30s. The question with him is can he avoid that fate. If so what is it that makes you think he would be able to avoid that fate. And if you don't have confidence that he'll avoid that fate then isn't signing him a bad decision at the length / dollars it will take to sign him?

He should be good for 4-5 years.

So the bigger question isn't will he fall off in his early 30s.

The bigger question is can you win it all in the next 4-5 years and will he be a big reason why you do?

I'm just going to assume this is true for a moment. Good for the Nats. This is an awesome move for them. They have a really good mix of young players in the field and on the mound. This is a move that puts them into serious contention in the NL East. Quite frankly, the Nats are where we want to be. They have a good core, and they have a stocked system which allows them to make a move for a player they need (Gio). As much as we want Prince, Prince will do a lot more for the Nats than he would for us.

I don't think this guy has really had any rumor come to fruition other than the Pujols to Angels deal. I am not saying Fielder is not going to the Nats, I just think that this thread needs to be re-named to a rumor and not as an official deal. No one else has caught anything on this. He is NOT an insider.

I don't think this guy has really had any rumor come to fruition other than the Pujols to Angels deal. I am not saying Fielder is not going to the Nats, I just think that this thread needs to be re-named to a rumor and not as an official deal. No one else has caught anything on this. He is NOT an insider.

I agree. The thread title is very misleading. MLBTR, HarballTalk, and even ESPN (even tho I have no respect for them) are not reporting this at all. If this deal was just pending physical they would be all over this.

:bs:

I'm not saying that the Nats won't have bad contracts haunting them in the future, but people shouldn't forget that Ted Lerner is #1 on many lists of MLB owners net worth.

It's not about what they have, it's about what they're willing to invest. Not that that means much, as Lerner has already shown he's willing to spend stupid money.

Angelos had a higher net worth than George Steinbrenner for quite some time. In 2009 his net worth was estimated at $1.2 billion, but some of his investments outside the team took a pretty hefty bath shortly after that.

Archived