Swaim on twitter: Nationals to sign Prince Fielder to 8 year deal?

Greg

They understand you don't need some perfect storm year before you can add those "final pieces." O's fans have been sold this bs routine that all the stars have to align perfectly before we can add legit players to get better.

They don't play in our division. Sorry, but it's true. We need to be perfect...any other division in baseball is automatically more up for grabs than ours is.

Fielder does not make us that much better. Fielder doesn't change the fact that our pitching sucked so bad last year and is riddled with question marks this year.

I've said it before a billion times and I'll say it again: this isn't football where a hot quarterback can throw it 35 times a game. This isn't basketball where you can dish it to a hot shooting guard who can put a team on his back and go for 40 points.

Prince Fielder gets 4 at bats a game. 4 at bats per game with this team as it's currently constructed does not make us a whole lot better.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't play in our division. Sorry, but it's true. We need to be perfect...any other division in baseball is automatically more up for grabs than ours is.

Fielder does not make us that much better. Fielder doesn't change the fact that our pitching sucked so bad last year and is riddled with question marks this year.

I've said it before a billion times and I'll say it again: this isn't football where a hot quarterback can throw it 35 times a game. This isn't basketball where you can dish it to a hot shooting guard who can put a team on his back and go for 40 points.

Prince Fielder gets 4 at bats a game. 4 at bats per game with this team as it's currently constructed does not make us a whole lot better.

Meh, I don't know that the MFY and Sox are that much more imposing than the Phillies and Braves.

But for the very minority owner of MASN their tv rights allows them to sign real ball players. But the O's are just poverty stricken.

It is kinda funny. Starting with Camden Yards, teams that built new stadiums had huge returns on their investments in the form of attendance jumps, and their payrolls surged with their new resources. Now, the catalyst for teams to spend more are their new tv deals. It's new industry boon that allows teams like Texas to spend with the New York, LA's and Chicago's of the league. And for the past 5 years, the O's have had one of the sweetest tv deals in the league.......and still their average payroll over that time has stayed essentially flat. Too bad sweetheart tv deals aren't as visible as beautiful new stadiums and packed crowds.

The way we go about building a team couldn't win an American Legion baseball championship.

Every team is "building from within." Its a 25 cent marketing term.

We can afford to do much more than we do on the free agent market. But unless a player is dying to take less to play for the Orioles than we don't put in the right financial effort and are told " top free agents don't want to come here.

Of course we have to maintain payroll flexibility so we can sign our players to extensions! Something the Nats have to do as well, but somehow it doesn't seem to keep them up at night sweating as they go out and sign legit ball players and outspend us in the draft.

It is kinda funny. Starting with Camden Yards, teams that built new stadiums had huge returns on their investments in the form of attendance jumps, and their payrolls surged with their new resources. Now, the catalyst for teams to spend more are their new tv deals. It's new industry boon that allows teams like Texas to spend with the New York, LA's and Chicago's of the league. And for the past 5 years, the O's have had one of the sweetest tv deals in the league.......and still their average payroll over that time has stayed essentially flat.

And most of those teams don't own 86% of the network they get their tv rights fees from. Double dipping to the extreme there. And it all goes in the owners profits and the fans get the Vlads of the world as window dressing.

Meh, I don't know that the MFY and Sox are that much more imposing than the Phillies and Braves.

Might as well throw in the Marlins as well.

Still think the AL East is best, but the NL East certainly is no cakewalk, and a reason why I don't think the Nats are ready quite yet. But a lot for them will depend on Strasburg and whether or not Werth can bounce back.

Isn't Damon a Boras client? I think we know who we're talking to.

He's the right age and price that we've come to expect. I hope if the Nats sign Fielder and we sign Damon the O's don't insult our intelligence with some press conference to celebrate that kind of bargain bin signing.

After reading the Fan Fest quotes I actually had some crackhead hopes of a Fielder signing. But it looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

Archived