Swaim on twitter: Nationals to sign Prince Fielder to 8 year deal?

Greg

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting that Buck met with Petey instead of DD.

What's most interesting to me is, if true, why this was shared with the media? I like to think of people's motivations for sharing such things. If for example, this came from Buck or DD, what would motivate them to say this? Being spurned? If Angelos had agreed to free up money for Fielder, would you be sharing with a reporter that you had a meeting to ask for more money?

Not trying to stir anything up......but this is the way my mind reads such things. And usually with a healthy dose of skepticism. :D

Exactly. I think that's a great situation to be in. Three mashers in the lineup every day. All three can DH. Two can play 3B. Three can play 1B.

I don't think giving him an 8 year deal is a smart move, but he can DH in our league. And if our young starters take two steps forward, it would be nice to have an offense that can keep up. Right now our offense is not even close to that point.

Just because it didn't happen, doesn't mean the possibility wasn't there at the time.

And as SB pointed out, she was right about the scouting before anyone else mentioned it.

Jen Royle got a a lot of crap she didn't deserve. Some people are very VERY immature when it comes to sports.

Honestly, if we can avoid signing Damon, Matsui, Vlad, Ibanez, etc.. I'll actually consider that progress in terms of the Orioles management style. Maybe we don't sign Prince or trade Jones, but at least we'd be staying away from the Typical Orioles Signings.

I'm not advocating Fielder, but it is interesting (and refreshing) that we haven't signed any of those veteran 1-2 year stopgaps this offseason. I'd certainly go for a couple of value signings like Antonelli, Miller and pay for Fielder than 1-2 year deals for Guerrero, Lee and Gregg.

Guest rochester
What's most interesting to me is, if true, why this was shared with the media? I like to think of people's motivations for sharing such things. If for example, this came from Buck or DD, what would motivate them to say this? Being spurned? If Angelos had agreed to free up money for Fielder, would you be sharing with a reporter that you had a meeting to ask for more money?

Not trying to stir anything up......but this is the way my mind reads such things. And usually with a healthy dose of skepticism. :D

My guess is some version like this...

BS and DD (walking into PA's office) - not a word but looking a bit nervous, like going to the principal's office.

> 5-7 minutes< of crashing, swearing, pleading, crying....

Door opens, out come BS and DD.

BS: I can't believe that MF.. he promised he would give me the $$ when I truly believed we needed it...now he is trying to tell me that he does not have any...

DD: You? I believed you and IT when we discussed this...

BS: This su**s

DD: You got that right..

"Insider" calling on cell phone to Royle

PA and lil' John comin' out of "the" office - (a cynical laugh ensues...smoke flows out of the office...)

Archived