What Needs To Happen

Brendan25

Probably not...of course, they don't have the amount of students that MD has either.

But they have consistently won for the past 25 years or so, thus they have accrued a ton of bandwagon fans over the years as you are well aware. So that should help make up for the smaller student body.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't help that Maryland charges 40 bucks a ticket for the conference games, minimum, plus another 10 bucks to park, for regular fans. The school really needs to think about slashing ticket prices. Hell they dropped some non-conference games to 15 bucks and the arena had some buzz to it, and fannies in the seats. Do that for other ACC games that aren't going to draw well right now.

But they have consistently won for the past 25 years or so, thus they have accrued a ton of bandwagon fans over the years as you are well aware. So that should help make up for the smaller student body.

But not everyone is in the state, has the money to go to the games, the time, etc...

But not everyone is in the state, has the money to go to the games, the time, etc...

True. There are many people from out of state who have no good reason to root for them other than being bandwagoners. Good point.

Doesn't help that Maryland charges 40 bucks a ticket for the conference games, minimum, plus another 10 bucks to park, for regular fans. The school really needs to think about slashing ticket prices. Hell they dropped some non-conference games to 15 bucks and the arena had some buzz to it, and fannies in the seats. Do that for other ACC games that aren't going to draw well right now.

I'd love to go today, but $40-50 plus parking is way too much and HDTV makes it too easy to watch at home. At least with the O's you can go and still get in for under $10 for most games. Isn't baseball great?

Yeah, good point. They are running a mid-week ACC special for the BC and Miami games that includes 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs and 2 sodas for $44. That's not a bad deal all things considered, my wife and I are thinking of going to at least one of those.

Some of the lack of attendance in basketball can be laid on the ACC post expansion. Adding these teams is only good for football. ACC games except the ones against Duke and Carolina aren't as special as they use to be when there was a 9 team league and you played everyone twice. Also the league top to bottom was much more competitive then it has been since expansion. Last year's Wake and this years Boston College are as about as bad of ACC teams that I have ever seen. The Maryland probation teams would go 500 in this league.

Let's not forget that Cameron holds just over half the capacity of Comcast, and still has a several-thousand-seat student section. It should be much easier to fill, even with 90% of alumni making the drive down I-95 from exit 13A on the NJ Turnpike.

Interesting. When I was at Duke, which is shortly before Coach K arrived, nobody was sleeping in a tent except for the Carolina game, when a minority of people did it. But every game was sold out, and you had to be there about 2 hours before tipoff if you wanted a seat. I wonder if the whole tent-sitting phenomenon has discouraged sane people from going after all these years. I know if I was paying for one of my kids to attend I wouldn't want him/her living in a tent half the year.

Let's not forget that Cameron holds just over half the capacity of Comcast, and still has a several-thousand-seat student section. It should be much easier to fill, even with 90% of alumni making the drive down I-95 from exit 13A on the NJ Turnpike.

And they do fill it...but Duke also has far less people attending vs MD, so its all relative.

Archived