Connolly: O's still looking to acquire bat

Os84

I am scared the offense might take a step back like the pitching did last year. They put too much pressure on the young guys and it failed. This year, I think they might put too much pressure on the hitters by not having a leadoff hitter or cleanup hitter. I know they are older and have had more success in the majors but I can see the offense declining somewhat. Could be wrong and only time will tell.

I agree...even though Vlad and Lee were not very productive with the O's, they certainly took pressure away from the young hitters in the 3/4 spots of the lineup. Who fills those now?

Reminds me of Millwood's impact on the 2010 rotation and the 2011 without Kevin (veteran innings eater). The O's young hitters having more mlb experience going into 2012, compared to the 2011 rotation, but your concern is still valid.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any Japanese or Korean free agent bats still out there? Duquette seems to be hitting that market hard this winter. Also, Derrek Lee has been offered arbitration? That would seem to be a bad use of very limited resources for Pittsburgh.

I agree...even though Vlad and Lee were not very productive with the O's, they certainly took pressure away from the young hitters in the 3/4 spots of the lineup. Who fills those now?

Reminds me of Millwood's impact on the 2010 rotation and the 2011 without Kevin (veteran innings eater). The O's young hitters having more mlb experience going into 2012, compared to the 2011 rotation, but your concern is still valid.

The O's had their two best months, in terms of runs/game, after Lee was traded. Lee had a .568 OPS in RISP situations, and Vlad was at .552. So, I don't think they will be missed very much. The pressure depends more on the situation when a player is batting, regardless of where he bats in the order. If you are up with a runner on 3rd and one out, the pressure's the same whether you are batting 4th or 9th.

In terms of adding another bat Damon makes little sense to me. His OBP has been coming down recently, no doubt a product of his desire to reach 3000 hits. He is more concerned with putting the ball in play than getting on base. Betemit is the better optuon of the two, For a RH DH bat Manny or Thames on a MiL/ML contract would appear to be the best options, because they would provide the opportunity to see Flaherty/ Miller get some AB.

But how can that be? We're right before Spring Training and we haven't signed any impact players yet? "Oh that's right, Angelos is the owner". I thought we we're looking at Edwin Jackson? "Oh that's right, we wouldn't come off of our 3-year rule for pitchers". I thought we were big on Fielder? "Oh that's right, we never submitted an offer". I thought we were looking at Kotchman? "Oh that's right, we have Davis to play 1st". I thought we were looking to trade for Floyd? "Oh that's right, Duquette can't seem to make a decent trade".

I thought we added so much depth, I would think we could package together a trade by now? "Oh that's right, we didn't add depth, but merely bodies". I thought we could gain JJ and Prado for Jones? "Oh that's right, Duquette seems to think Adam is Willie Mays". I thought we set up trades during the winter meetings? "Oh that's right, Duquette lied".

I thought we had interest in Cepedes? "Oh that's right, we happy with just being mentioned with other teams that have interest".

Now that it's February 3rd, what can we expect to add now? "Oh that's right, Duquette is monitoring the market":rolleyes:

In terms of adding another bat Damon makes little sense to me. His OBP has been coming down recently, no doubt a product of his desire to reach 3000 hits. He is more concerned with putting the ball in play than getting on base.

I don't believe that Damon is intentionally trying to put the ball in play at the expense of getting on base via a walk. His three-year OBP drop has mostly been BA driven. Last year was the first time his BB rate dropped significantly, and even then, he was seeing 4.00 P/PA. To me, he's just a player with declining skills.

The O's had their two best months, in terms of runs/game, after Lee was traded. Lee had a .568 OPS in RISP situations, and Vlad was at .552. So, I don't think they will be missed very much. The pressure depends more on the situation when a player is batting, regardless of where he bats in the order. If you are up with a runner on 3rd and one out, the pressure's the same whether you are batting 4th or 9th.

These are valid points, but outside of Markakis the Orioles do not have a proven #3/4 hitter. And as grimed1 said, the leadoff spot is wide open as well. Do you believe Wieters and Jones are ready or qualified to hit in the MOO (or any Orioles for that matter)?

I agree with you that pressure should be no different in the lineup under the same situations, but my point was directed towards putting younger hitters in key lineup positions (MOO) that have more pressure situations. There is a psychological difference batting 3/4 as well, IMO. Opposing pitchers will feed off lineup imbalances when the O's have younger and/or less productive hitters in the MOO.

There are a number of reasons why Markakis offense has declined since 2008, but I would strongly argue that some of it can be attributed to lack of lineup protection since Huff's 2008 resurgent season (2009 was a huge drop off). Another reason could be the Orioles batting him cleanup in 2009, in an attempt to overcome lineup deficiency.

This is why I agree with grimed1's point that there is cause for concern that the young hitters might regress some this year. Certainly do not hope for it or believe it is very likely, but the concern is valid and should have been addressed more this offseason, IMO.

Manny's OBP since his first suspension is...

Who knows, maybe he is washed up and can't hit without the steroids.

He probable is and probably can't

Duquette said he wanted some OBP. IT appears that Manny is getting a minor league deal.

I don't believe that Damon is intentionally trying to put the ball in play at the expense of getting on base via a walk. His three-year OBP drop has mostly been BA driven. Last year was the first time his BB rate dropped significantly, and even then, he was seeing 4.00 P/PA. To me, he's just a player with declining skills.
Damon's swing % was up over his career average in 2011, and his O swing % was up 10 %. His contact was down. He's being overly aggressive and missing more. Not someone we want leading off.

Manny's OBP since his first suspension is...

Who knows, maybe he is washed up and can't hit without the steroids.

He probable is and probably can't

Duquette said he wanted some OBP. IT appears that Manny is getting a minor league deal.

Appears from what?

Archived