Guthrie traded to Rockies for Hammel & Lindstrom

Bazooka Jones

No...but so what? That is a stupid point to bring up.

We didn't get prospects. We got guys that could maybe help us out right now and then the arb stuff and the Buck/JG issues(if there are any), make that a valid question.

So, perhaps you can add something to it other than asking a poor question in response?

Well, you continue to bring up this conspiracy theory that has practically zero merit. If another poster said something similar, you'd fly off the handle looking for a source. You say it, and we're supposed to believe it has credibility. Funny how that works.

Feel free to bring up Taylor Teagarden as your lone piece of proof that BS is controlling the team. Until you can actually bring something of substance to the table, I'm not buying it.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not totally against the trade. I don't think Duquette is done dealing yet.

Look at the salary he just freed up. Maybe they kick the tires on Burnett from the Yankees now. I think Lindstrom and Hammel could have some value at the trade deadline if they have a good first half. I'd even say more value than Guthrie because they would be under control for longer and are cheaper.

This is the type of trade that keeps us at the bottom of the AL east. In the unlikely event that we win the trade based on production, we will go from a 60 win team to a 65 win team. WOOOOOOHOOOOOO! I don't have a problem with trading Guthrie for solid prospects but this move make no sense given the situation the Orioles find themselves in. 31 and 29 yr old mediocre pitchers???? Really? What are we possibly hoping to accomplish?

Who knows the draft pick could have been the next fielder

It has been a while since I've seen a list, but I recall Guthrie being a border-line Type B. As in, possible he wouldn't net any compensation even if we did want to offer the man arbitration that would likely have made us pay another $8 million next year.

There's more reason to think we get zero compensation from Guthrie than there is to think we'd get substantial compensation.

I put this in the other thread. From last spring,I think it is telling.

"Jeremy is at a certain point in his career where it's time to become a winning pitcher,'' Connor told Dan Connolly of The Sun. "Pitchers really can't control wins so much, but I've been on some teams that were pretty bad that had a couple of guys that won more than they lost. He's pitched in the big leagues, he's been in the rotation three or four full years … it's time for him to be the guy and set an example."

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-06-11/sports/bs-sp-schmuck-column-0612-20110611_1_jeremy-guthrie-rotation-three-or-four-orioles

This is the type of trade that keeps us at the bottom of the AL east. In the unlikely event that we win the trade based on production, we will go from a 60 win team to a 65 win team. WOOOOOOHOOOOOO! I don't have a problem with trading Guthrie for solid prospects but this move make no sense given the situation the Orioles find themselves in. 31 and 29 yr old mediocre pitchers???? Really? What are we possibly hoping to accomplish?

I put this a few posts back, but DD already said the Orioles weren't getting any sort of prospects back for Guthrie.

Why would be have been a 60 win team? We lost literally nobody and that team won 69 games last year.

Why are prospects worth any more than established major leaguers, in the aggregate?

Or is this just an emotional argument?

I'm not totally against the trade. I don't think Duquette is done dealing yet.

Look at the salary he just freed up. Maybe they kick the tires on Burnett from the Yankees now. I think Lindstrom and Hammel could have some value at the trade deadline if they have a good first half. I'd even say more value than Guthrie because they would be under control for longer and are cheaper.

Baltimore will be paying Lindstrom and Hammel more than they would have paid Guthrie.

Like or dislike, there's little evidence that this type of trade is what keeps us at the bottom. What keeps us at the bottom is our inability to capitalize on trades when we can get max value. Think Guthrie two years ago. Think Hardy last year. Think Jones probably right now.

This is why it's disappointing to me that we don't seem to even be considering a Hardy trade right now. We're left to hope that he has another great first half and then we'd actually be willing to trade him and accept a below average SS for 1-2 years. This is where I agree with SG on the direction of the team.

It has been a while since I've seen a list, but I recall Guthrie being a border-line Type B. As in, possible he wouldn't net any compensation even if we did want to offer the man arbitration that would likely have made us pay another $8 million next year.

There's more reason to think we get zero compensation from Guthrie than there is to think we'd get substantial compensation.

That said, the idea that said prospect could be the next Fielder is pretty irrefutable, amirite?

Well, you continue to bring up this conspiracy theory that has practically zero merit. If another poster said something similar, you'd fly off the handle looking for a source. You say it, and we're supposed to believe it has credibility. Funny how that works.

Feel free to bring up Taylor Teagarden as your lone piece of proof that BS is controlling the team. Until you can actually bring something of substance to the table, I'm not buying it.

Explain to me how it has no merit when PA wanted Buck as the GM, when we heard that Buck was going to have more input than most GMs, etc...?

How does the idea that Buck is the ML GM have no merit?

Archived