Cespedes to Oakland

justD

It would have been fun to get him. I wasn't expecting anything though and I'm not broken up about it either.

Small-mid market teams shouldn't be throwing away 4/36 contracts on anything less than a sure thing. Oakland must be pretty damn confident in Cespedes.

So what exactly should "small-mid market teams" use that money on? Peter Angelos' leather chair and board room tables?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meanwhile, the Orioles are still hoping to have that meeting in 5 days or whatever!

The important thing is that we maintained payroll flexibility here for our next Jai Miller-type signing. Those kind of signings don't just grow on trees. Oh wait they do now. We've grown an entire forest of those kind of signings this offseason.

Payroll flexibility is so awesome!

Dan Connolly just tweeted: Accdg to @TBrownYahoo @susanslusser & others, A's have signed Cuban OF Yoenis Cespedes for 4 yrs, $36M. #Orioles had interest; not at that $

Figures

Could someone post a photoshopped picture of Peter Angelos pulling his empty pockets inside out?

Meanwhile, the Orioles are still hoping to have that meeting in 5 days or whatever!
I'm glad we didn't sign him, but this post speaks volumes.

Eh, I don't think so. If you see a car in the paper that doesn't really seem that appealing to you, but you might be willing to think about if they brought the price down and things worked out, you might set up a meaning at your convenience. Meanwhile, someone who has more interest in the car might swoop in and buy it.

Bottom line is, the O's weren't all that interested, whether because of the price or they just weren't impressed with him as a player.

Here we go again with the "I'm glad we didn't offer that kind of contract" statements. This is major league baseball people...where unfortunately, there is no salary cap so a majority of signings nowadays are going to be for "too much money". It's just the way it is. If we continue to view free agent contracts as "too much money", the Orioles will NEVER sign a quality free agent ever again. How many more times are we going to hear that "the money wasn't right" or "that's too much of a gamble"?

Dan Connolly just tweeted: Accdg to @TBrownYahoo @susanslusser & others, A's have signed Cuban OF Yoenis Cespedes for 4 yrs, $36M. #Orioles had interest; not at that $

Figures

And thats why we will never compete until all of our prospects magically come together and step up at the same time with every break going our way.

Archived