Cespedes to Oakland

justD

Eh, I don't think so. If you see a car in the paper that doesn't really seem that appealing to you, but you might be willing to think about if they brought the price down and things worked out, you might set up a meaning at your convenience. Meanwhile, someone who has more interest in the car might swoop in and buy it.

Bottom line is, the O's weren't all that interested, whether because of the price or they just weren't impressed with him as a player.

It seems the only cars in the paper the O's like are the ones other teams had in their farm system for 6 years and those teams didn't think those cars ran anymore. But for the O's they like to buy those kind of scrap heap projects, rinse them off, put some wax on them and sell them to the fanbase as "Depth."

Other teams look at those cars as junk though.

On the next episode of Hoarders: Dan Duquette's Offseason.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here we go again with the "I'm glad we didn't offer that kind of contract" statements. This is major league baseball people...where unfortunately, there is no salary cap so a majority of signings nowadays are going to be for "too much money". It's just the way it is. If we continue to view free agent contracts as "too much money", the Orioles will NEVER sign a quality free agent ever again. How many more times are we going to hear that "the money wasn't right" or "that's too much of a gamble"?

Areed. If we are going to compete with the big boys even if we cannot spend the large dollar amounts you still have to figure that it is not overpaying to have a 30mil/yr collective outfield. A 20/mil a year star player these days is not out of the question either.

This team goes to the depths of inaction. Oakland is willing to take chances, a smaller market, less of a safety net. I don't understand DD.

I can tolerate us not signing him. I just don't like how we're all, "hyuck we'll scout him next week hyuck," as if time stops for us. I hope we weren't serious about him, because if so, that's just pathetic.

I can tolerate us not signing him. I just don't like how we're all, "hyuck we'll scout him next week hyuck," as if time stops for us. I hope we weren't serious about him, because if so, that's just pathetic.

I've no doubt that DD is an intelligent baseball man. I doubt that he is intelligent enough to understand that AL East requires greater action. Peter Angelos has just the kind of GM he wanted: a guy who talks big about change and makes pointless signings under the guise of providing depth. I am trying to be fair and balanced but I've seen nothing that shows the kind of intelligence he used to construct the Expos and Red Sox. It feels like we're treading water.

Haha. I was about to post the same thing.

If memory serves though, you were never crazy about Cespedes, right?

Not super high on him although near the end, I did say, what the hell..take a shot.

I don't mind that they didn't sign him.

I do mind their process and think that they, yet again, come away looking poor in all of this.

From Twitter:

masnRoch

Fred Ferreira will go to Dominican Saturday to check out 6 Cuban players, including Soler. He just spoke with Soler's reps today #orioles

masnRoch

#orioles backed off Cespedes once talk grew that he could comman $40-$50 mil. Ferreira says he preferred going in different direction.

It seems the only cars in the paper the O's like are the ones other teams had in their farm system for 6 years and those teams didn't think those cars ran anymore. But for the O's they like to buy those kind of scrap heap projects, rinse them off, put some wax on them and sell them to the fanbase as "Depth."

Other teams look at those cars as junk though.

On the next episode of Hoarders: Dan Duquette's Offseason.

Crticizing the types of players they've brought in is different than criticizing the way they've gone about it. DD told us before the offseason ever started that we'd be dumpster diving. I just don't think the fact that they were set to meet with him next week makes us look bad at all. We clearly weren't that interested.

This is a pretty smart risk to take IMHO.

$12 million a year is significant (especially for Oakland) but at 4 years, I think that's less risky then paying $8 million a year for 6 years.

Why the Orioles wouldn't be all over a 4 year deal is beyond me.

Unless the scouts didn't like what they saw...

Archived