What moment in O's history have you NOT recovered from?

Todd-O

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 1-14 stretch at the end of July in 2005. Went from 50-42, half a game out of first, to 51-56 with the season pretty much over and Lee Mazzilli fired.

I guess that's not a moment, so if I had to pick one I'd say this. One of my least favorite players (Pierzynski) homers off one of my favorites (Chris Ray) to erase a 6-4 Orioles lead, and then while that's still sinking in, Jermaine Dye goes deep to make it 8-6. I still remember listening to the radio late that night and feeling this incredible sinking feeling when Pierzynski homered, and then utter disbelief when Dye hit one out as well. 30-3 was bad, the Mother's Day Massacre was bad, Jack Cust was bad, but nothing for me was worse than that late summer of 2005.

The 1-14 stretch at the end of July in 2005. Went from 50-42, half a game out of first, to 51-56 with the season pretty much over and Lee Mazzilli fired.

I guess that's not a moment, so if I had to pick one I'd say this. One of my least favorite players (Pierzynski) homers off one of my favorites (Chris Ray) to erase a 6-4 Orioles lead, and then while that's still sinking in, Jermaine Dye goes deep to make it 8-6. I still remember listening to the radio late that night and feeling this incredible sinking feeling when Pierzynski homered, and then utter disbelief when Dye hit one out as well. 30-3 was bad, the Mother's Day Massacre was bad, Jack Cust was bad, but nothing for me was worse than that late summer of 2005.

I didn't realize it was a 1-14 stretch. It felt like a long slide that second half of the season. Didn't realize it happened so fast.

Yeah, that was pretty brutal. To think that we had that good a chance to not only have a winning record, but be in the hunt for a playoff spot, and then the wheels came off.

If 2005 had been a successful season I wonder if the organization would have taken a turn for the better. Probably not, but it's interesting to think about what could have been.

Armando Benitez hanging a slider to Marquis Grissom, Game 2, '97 ALCS. The Maier play sucks but we did finish 2nd that year and the Yanks won the series 4-1. The O's were the best team in baseball in '97, were getting ready to go up 2 games to nothing on a mediocre Indians team. After that pitch, the Indians started believing and the O's never recovered.

I still believe Thome struck out for the 3rd out just before Grissom came up. Horrible call on the missed check swing.

For me, it was Todd Williams giving up a game winning hit on an intentional walk. It's one thing to lose, but it's unnecessary to do it on a historically embarrassing way.

I think even the ESPN anchor who was an O's fan even led off the SportsCenter highlight with "yeah we suck".

Archived