Matusz article and chart

Frobby

Steve Melewski has an article up pointing out that for Brian Matusz, command of his pitches is more important to his success than velocity. http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/03/with-matusz-the-velocity-is-only-a-part-of-the-story.html

In the article, Melewski posted a link to a fangraphs chart that I'd never seen before, showing the velocity range for every one of Matusz's career starts. Maybe fangraphs has had these for a long time, but it is the first time I've ever been aware that these charts exist, so I thought I'd share: http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=2646&position=P&pitch=FA

As you can see, the chart corroborates that Matusz's velocity was pretty much back to normal when he returned in late August of 2011, though he still pitched terribly. Which supports Melewksi's argument that we need to focus more on whether Matusz's command is back, not so much on whether his velocity is OK.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't look back to me. It looks better, but it's still low. He was sitting in the 88-90 range at the end of '11 compared to what appears to be 90-92 before that. Headed in the right direction, but not there yet. From his ST start the other day, it looked like he was even closer to the 90-92 range. Hopefully, it's back where it belongs this year. He needs his velocity back along with his command. With no velocity, his changeup is essentially useless.

Steve Melewski has an article up pointing out that for Brian Matusz, command of his pitches is more important to his success than velocity. http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2012/03/with-matusz-the-velocity-is-only-a-part-of-the-story.html

In the article, Melewski posted a link to a fangraphs chart that I'd never seen before, showing the velocity range for every one of Matusz's career starts. Maybe fangraphs has had these for a long time, but it is the first time I've ever been aware that these charts exist, so I thought I'd share: http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=2646&position=P&pitch=FA

As you can see, the chart corroborates that Matusz's velocity was pretty much back to normal when he returned in late August of 2011, though he still pitched terribly. Which supports Melewksi's argument that we need to focus more on whether Matusz's command is back, not so much on whether his velocity is OK.

Interesting chart/data. I don't think too many people are surprised by this. But good command at 91 is better than good command at 87/88 mph. Matusz nailing that outside corner the other day in the first inning at 91 was a good sign. Also, in Matusz's case it was pretty obvious that his secondaries weren't there last year as well. That'll be something else we'll need to watch for. I'm not the biggest Matusz fan and think he's way overhyped, but not much doubt he can be a good pitcher and is head and shoulders above Tillman imo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/07/sports/baseball/brian-matusz-orioles-pitcher-builds-a-stronger-foundation.html?_r=1

Nothing we don't already know or think but interesting to see an article on Matusz in NyTimes.

Yeah that is interesting to see in the NY Times. As a side note, I think it's great that Matusz has made the effort to get himself into top shape and turned to Brady Anderson for help in the offseason. I'm just wondering (beyond the basics) isn't conditioning pitchers and position players different and does Anderson know what he's doing in that regard ? It seems to me we'd have different conditioning coaches (maybe we do and they're in communication with Anderson). I don't know but it's hard for me to assume they know what they're doing. I mean things didn't work out well for Reynolds and that plan apparently wasn't that well thought out. Any of the jocks/scouts have any info on this?

He also needs to hid the ball better and not tip his pitches.He also needs to work on holding runners on better.
That's the last thing he should be worrying about right now.

This whole idea of holding runners better, being quicker to the plate, etc....its such bs.

Its important but not at the expense of many other things.

That's the last thing he should be worrying about right now.

This whole idea of holding runners better, being quicker to the plate, etc....its such bs.

Its important but not at the expense of many other things.

In fact, you could argue that trying to hold runners is part of what screwed up Matusz in the first place. Connor tried to change his delivery last spring to make him quicker to the plate and it threw his mechanics out of whack.

Matsuz was rushing through his deliver on many pitches....Some jitters I suspect and rust still...When he stayed on top of his fastball and slowed down his deliver he got more velocity and better command....The Velocity was better in the first then second where he wasn't finishing his delievery and lost velocity/left the ball up as a result.

His pause gives him a bit of decpetion and helps his arm stay back allowing him to better follow thorough on the ball...His arm was dragging to far behind his body when he was rushing not giving his arm enough time to 'finish' before he hit the ground...Pitches stayed up and he lost 2-3 miles on the fastball....When he stayed back and allowed his arm to get in front he finished his pitches much nicer and was in the lows 90's every time....Also that little pause he uses helps him balance himself before he follows through and releases...

If the staff is trying to get rid of/speed up that pause I would think they would realize how huge it is to Matsuz delievery and not mess with it....Would you rather have command/control and pitch 91/92 with deception or be wild in the strike zone keeping balls up and walking guys with no deception at 86-88 and be slightly faster to the plate? Give me the former all day.

Overall I am excited by what I saw in that his fastball is back if he can repeat his follow through, (which I think was alittle nerves being he has to prove last year was a fluke/OD TV ST game) which allows him to use that change up to K guys....

His slider and curve are still alittle behind but that is to be expected in early ST, but once again when he slowed down/followed through his curve had good spin and was a strike....He needs to pitch through the strike zone better (starts a strike ends a ball) to put hitters away more, something he does brillantly when hes 'ON'.

Guys I really believe if Brian tightens up his deliver a little bit before OD we will see a guy who can throw 91-92 and use all his pitches in any count....A LA 2009-2010...Very encouraged....Some bloop hits made his line look bad but he didnt give up much hard contact and showed the makings of 3 average to above average pitches (FB, CB, CH).

No one commented on this is the other thread but it's relevant here....Guys it's clear that is delivery is not as tight as it used to be...He is not repeating it well and trying to be quick to the plate is part of it.

The pause in the begining of his delivery helps give him balance and timing which allows his arm and body to move how there supposed to instead of his arm being so far behind that his Fastball loses velocity his pitches our up and he's wild......When he uses that pause he has balance and command...He is more on 'top' of the all allowing for a better 'plane' on his fastball while being able to throw his offspeed stuff for strikes......

Just watch the first spring training game and youll see when he took his time and his arm wasn't trying to catch up to the rest off his body then his CB was for strikes, his FB is in the 90's and where he wants it, and he was k'ing guys with his ch.....

This is legit anaylsis and for it to be ignored makes me think OH is more of a soap opera then a Orioles discussion board, maybe you don't agree but for it to be ignored would be a real shame...If stotle allstar or tony wrote this it would be praised (I love there stuff and know I haven't earned there credibility but ignored? really?)

Archived