Tommy Hunter Tonight

OFFNY

I still give Hunter another start or two to turn things around. Not sure why his command has been awful, but that needs to turn around if he's going to have even #5 starter success.

Throwing 89-91 MPH fastballs belt high in the middle of the zone will lead to a poor outing especially against a team with a bunch of sluggers.

Hope he learned his lesson.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People are looking to bury Hunter too quickly. Sometimes pitchers lose, sometimes pitchers get beat around a little bit. It happens to every pitcher. Three starts in Hunter has had one A, one C and an F.

In my profession that averages out a C so far. Tommy Hunter is a C-type pitcher. Back-end fodder that has the ability to throw a real solid gem once and awhile, but at the very least when he pitches he gives you better than a coin-flip's chance of winning the game.

Throwing 89-91 MPH fastballs belt high in the middle of the zone will lead to a poor outing especially against a team with a bunch of sluggers.

Agree with these sentiments. The thing I liked about Hunter near the end of last season is that he was hitting his spots and working in front of hitters. Now, it seems that he's gone all Kevin Gregg...nibbling early in the count and not throwing strikes until he has to.

He needs to get his command back and he'll be fine. Again...I don't think of him as any more than a 4 or 5, but he can still be a valuable contributor in that role.

Every team has a 4th and 5th pitcher which is what Hunter is. If he can give us 6-7 innings at 4.5-5 runs per then that is good. I am satisfied with that, especially at the cost.

The OH is so funny, one day there is such jubilance and threads of optimism and then after a loss, such disdain.

Every team has a 4th and 5th pitcher which is what Hunter is. If he can give us 6-7 innings at 4.5-5 runs per then that is good. I am satisfied with that, especially at the cost.

The OH is so funny, one day there is such jubilance and threads of optimism and then after a loss, such disdain.

Yep. Hunter and Chen could wind up being our # 4 and # 5 starters, not necessarily in that order.

We very well could have several long relief guys in our bullpen to have Chen's back, IF Chen turns out to be a very effective but not very durable starter.

Jake will probably be # 1, and Hammell could wind up being our # 2 or # 3.

Other than that, we just might be able to get either Britton, Matusz, Wada, or Eveland to be our other # 2 or # 3 (Come on, Zach !!!)

And of those 4, whoever doesn't fit in at # 3 can always throw their hat into the ring for a # 4 or # 5 spot if Chen and/or Hunter bomb, or if we have injuries.

He didn't have his good stuff last night, but even when he DOES, he's not going to be a very good starting pitcher. He doesn't have the stuff to pitch up in the zone.

The funny part is that he's sporting a 50% GB% thus far this year and a .273 BABIP.

YIKERS.

That's because most of the hits he's been giving up are homers!

I didn't say that he shouldn't be there. I was under the impression, however, that it was a foregone conclusion that he would be there. I just don't like his stuff much. And see limited upside. Not a big deal, just a reference to the many threads during ST that assumed he'd be in the OD rotation (which he was).

I kind of like him. I know he's not a great SP or anything but I feel like people are under-valuing him.

He's a strike-thrower and can eat innings. I know that didn't happen last night, but he looked great in the first inning and then started getting the ball up. He struck out 8. I think he'll have those kinds of shaky outings every once in a while. Hopefully less often than not.

I guess what I like about him is that he is pretty much what he is going to be. There is no torture watching him have a bad outing like with Matusz because he can't repeat his delivery. Sometimes it's refreshing to have a 4 - 4.50 ERA guy you don't really have to think about all that much.

I kind of like him. I know he's not a great SP or anything but I feel like people are under-valuing him.

He's a strike-thrower and can eat innings. I know that didn't happen last night, but he looked great in the first inning and then started getting the ball up. He struck out 8. I think he'll have those kinds of shaky outings every once in a while. Hopefully less often than not.

I guess what I like about him is that he is pretty much what he is going to be. There is no torture watching him have a bad outing like with Matusz because he can't repeat his delivery. Sometimes it's refreshing to have a 4 - 4:50 ERA guy you don't really have to hang yourself over.

Hunter is a good back-end starter for a team like the Orioles. He rarely goes less than 6, and typically keeps you in the game with 3-4 ER allowed. When you are short on legit SP talent, sometimes that's not so bad. He had a bad night, and has given up 6 HR in his last two starts. That obviously needs to improve, but I think he can adjust and be a respectable option for us until better talent comes along. That seems to be exactly how the Rangers used him.

I take it you are of the opinion that he did this intemtionally? Or perhaps this is your idea of some wry attempt at humor?

I take it you are of the opinion that he did this intemtionally? Or perhaps this is your idea of some wry attempt at humor?

Excuse me?!?

It was in response to the comment which was quoted about his command. It was not there last night, he had a poor outing. It was mentioned all night on the broadcast that he was leaving pitches up in the strikezone.

Maybe you didn't watch the game or you just like to make random comments?

Excuse me?!?

It was in response to the comment which was quoted about his command. It was not there last night, he had a poor outing. It was mentioned all night on the broadcast that he was leaving pitches up in the strikezone.

Maybe you didn't watch the game or you just like to make random comments?

What did you mean by this, "Hope he learned his lesson"? To me it implies that he is locating those pitches intentionally. If he is having command issues, the lesson he needs to learn is one of mechanocs and repeating his delivery, not location.

Archived