Tommy Hunter Tonight

OFFNY

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wasn't too impressed with Tommy tonight. Seemed like a lot of his stuff was up in the zone. I'll obviously take the quality start but personally I wasn't too impressed.
Considering that he is pitching hurt, I was very impressed. If he could get healthy, he could be as good consistently as he was in his first start. The problem is we have no one to spot start for him while he heals.

I wasn't too impressed with Tommy tonight. Seemed like a lot of his stuff was up in the zone. I'll obviously take the quality start but personally I wasn't too impressed.

Hunter said in his postgame interview that he wasnt happy with his performance, and basically admitted he was lucky to put up the line he did. What I like about him, and I think Buck does too, is that he's never complacent and always shoulders the blame for poor performance, which cannot be said for every guy on this team (think gregg, matusz at times). He holds himself to a high standard, and doesnt make excuses.

He knows hes capable of better and i think he will be better in the future. Who knows how much the side thing plays into his performance- he seems like the kind of guy who is willing to play through pain.

Anyone worried about Tommy Hunter? I don't think his 86-90 MPH FB is going to hold up over the course of a season. Yes, he's good at throwing strikes but that doesn't necessarily equate to having good control...he's good at staying in and around the strike zone but his location can be pretty erratic, enough so that at some point his lack of stuff is going to catch up to him.

The A's look fail the eye test and the statistics test as a good hitting team and he was lucky to hold them to 2 runs today. Hopefully Britton can come back strong so that Hunter can go on the DL and get himself right. If he can get back to his 91-94 MPH FB days than he might be able to stand the test of time as a #4 starter or so but I'm afraid with the stuff he has now he's going to start getting beat up pretty bad now that we get into the meat of the schedule.

I'm not worried about Hunter at all. No, he's not a top of the rotation nor do you get blown away by his performance. But he gets results. Sure he'll have games where he'll get blown out, but most of the time he'll keep you in ball games and give the team a chance to win while not stressing the bullpen. The team is 4-1 when he starts. In 3 of his 5 starts he's combined for 20 ip while giving up 3 runs.

Anyone worried about Tommy Hunter? I don't think his 86-90 MPH FB is going to hold up over the course of a season. Yes, he's good at throwing strikes but that doesn't necessarily equate to having good control...he's good at staying in and around the strike zone but his location can be pretty erratic, enough so that at some point his lack of stuff is going to catch up to him.

The A's look fail the eye test and the statistics test as a good hitting team and he was lucky to hold them to 2 runs today. Hopefully Britton can come back strong so that Hunter can go on the DL and get himself right. If he can get back to his 91-94 MPH FB days than he might be able to stand the test of time as a #4 starter or so but I'm afraid with the stuff he has now he's going to start getting beat up pretty bad now that we get into the meat of the schedule.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried that his FB velocity is still so low. In the game they mentioned thatmight be becuse he throws too many cuttters and you can sometimes lose the feel for your FB when you do that. Thought his command was much better today.

c

TOMMY HUNTER (vs. RED SOX 5/06)

IP:. 4.33

H:o 8

R:O 5

BB: 1

SO: 2

Pitches: 82 (54 Strikes, 28 Balls)

2012 ERA: 5.00

TOMMY BY INNINGS:

22 (1/3 of an inning)

Hindsight is 20/20 but I really wanted them to pull Hunter as soon as he loaded the bases. You could just feel he wasn't getting out of that inning.

Easier said than done. They didn't have anyone ready in the bullpen yet.

That was an extremely disappointing outing, coughing up a 5-run lead and forcing the bullpen to come in during the 5th inning. Even if the O's can win this we won't be set up well for the Texas series. He couldn't get anything down in the 5th at all.

Archived