Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

Date	OPP	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	SO	GO/AO	AVGMay 01	IND	0	1	6.75	1	1	0	0	0	5.1	8	4	4	0	3	4	0.71	.333May 05	@DUR	1	0	3.00	1	0	0	0	0	6.0	7	2	2	0	1	2	1.14	.304May 11	@IND	0	1	3.00	1	1	0	0	0	6.0	6	2	2	0	1	9	0.50	.261May 16	CHA	0	1	5.06	1	1	0	0	0	5.1	8	3	3	1	3	4	0.71	.333May 21	PAW	0	1	6.75	1	1	0	0	0	5.1	8	4	4	0	2	4	1.00	.348May 26	DUR	0	1	3.00	1	1	0	0	0	6.0	5	2	2	0	3	6	0.80	.263May 31	@PAW	1	0	0.00	1	1	0	0	0	8.0	1	0	0	0	1	9	3.67	.042Jun 06	@ROC	0	1	2.70	1	1	0	0	0	6.2	1	2	2	1	1	7	0.86	.048Jun 11	@BUF	1	0	7.20	1	1	1	0	0	5.0	7	4	4	1	1	4	1.50	.333Jun 17	TOL	1	0	1.50	1	1	0	0	0	6.0	3	1	1	0	2	8	3.50	.150Totals	 	4	6	3.62	10	9	1	0	0	59.2	54	24	24	3	18	57	1.13	.243

Four out of five good (I wouldn't read too much into the rain start). His pitch efficiency has, overall, been okay. He only had 88 pitches through 6IP.

I've watched more Tillman this year than usual - I think he warrants a shot, but I really need to see how his stuff plays against better hitters.

I have trouble telling his FBs apart. Neither move particularly much. But his location has been good.
And thats the key. As we've seen with the guys in the rotation now if they aren't locating they aren't having success. I really hope he gets his shot before we make a move on a costly vet like Garza or somebody like Dempster who's stuff might not translate to the AL east. I don't think there's a doubt his stuff is better than Hunter's.
I don't see the rush to get Tillman to the majors. The last thing we want is for him to come up and then have to send him back down. I need to see more evidence that he has mastered and dominated AAA.

How much evidence do you need? As you can see in his last 10 starts he has been pretty good. 57 SO in 59.2 innings good. He has better stuff than Hunter and locates the ball better than Hunter does right now. That's just Hunter. Do you NOT see him as a better option than at least Hunter? Britton hasn't been setting the world on fire and Moyer is pushing 50. Tillman has earned a shot before we go selling off parts. If he doesn't perform THEN we make move outside the org. Does that not seem like a more thorough course of events? The trading deadline doesn't end until July 31st.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHRIS TILLMAN O(June 22nd)

IP:O 5.33

H:o. 5 (1 Double, 4 Singles)

R:O. 0

BB:. 0

SO:. 8

Pitches: 95 (63 Strikes, 32 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.76

Not pitch-efficient. Good results. He could have obviously gone a bit longer. 5GB:2FB.

The EIGHT strike outs runs up the pitch count a bit. Strike outs and Ground balls translate well to the next level.

8 strikeouts to go along with NO WALKS is ultra-impressive. :)

And yes, if you pitch 5.33 innings, and you have 8 strikeouts, that's half of your outs via the Big K. When you strike out 8 batters while recording 16 outs overall, your pitch count is likely to be high.

It's getting hard to blame the pitch count on the strikeouts at this point when his count is high regardless of the K's. Hammel struck out 10 batters tonight and still went 8 innings with under 100 pitches. As effective as he was in this outing, in a sense it's made me more worried about him. If he can only go 5 innings when he has his best stuff, it doesn't bode well for the future. Maybe he'll figure out how to keep the pitch count down one day but he doesn't seem to be making much progress.

Regardless, I'm about ready to call him up soon. If he can throw a hundred pitches over 5-6 quality innings, he'd be a solid back end starter and improve the rotation.

Keep him down longer. Let him get on a real roll. This guy has been yo-yo'd enough. Peterson said they found something in his mechanical efficiency, let's get him locked in on whatever changes before bringing him up to the stress of the majors and ruining things potentially.

Keep him down longer. Let him get on a real roll. This guy has been yo-yo'd enough. Peterson said they found something in his mechanical efficiency, let's get him locked in on whatever changes before bringing him up to the stress of the majors and ruining things potentially.

How do you know they don't feel that it's locked in?

BTW, looked like a pretty effortless 93MPH in this game. The double was cue'd the other way off the end of the bat and spun past Tejada at 3rd. I didn't see a single hard-hit ball (though I didn't see the 5th). Lots of swings and misses, and he was pumping almost entirely FBs.

How do you know they don't feel that it's locked in?

BTW, looked like a pretty effortless 93MPH in this game. The double was cue'd the other way off the end of the bat and spun past Tejada at 3rd. I didn't see a single hard-hit ball (though I didn't see the 5th). Lots of swings and misses, and he was pumping almost entirely FBs.

Thanks for the details-- I'm ready to see him come up.

Even if going deep into ballgames is a problem, I don't think people realize how much value 5 IP 0-2 ER can have for this team with the bullpen as it is. I'd much rather see Tillman labor through 5 IP allow 1 ER and have 5-7 Ks than see Tommy Hunter go 5 IP, throw only 60 pitches, only to give up 4 runs in the 6th. If anything, Tommy Hunter's pitch efficient ways can be detrimental; it makes it very hard to take a guy out after 5 IP, 0 R allowed when he's only thrown 67 pitches (as against the Mets on Wed.), but that would've been the right move (I've said for a while Tommy should not be allowed to go past 5 IP regardless of results).

Tillman, on the other hand, isn't likely to be a ticking time bomb; if he gives us 5 good IP at 100 pitches, that's not ideal, but it's a hell of a lot more valuable than 6 IP 5 ER at 75 pitches. If he gets past 5, it will mean he's on his game and likely to do better in the 6th and 7th, not do worse.

Hunter to the pen, Tillman to the rotation, Gregg DFA'd. Makes too much sense.

Thanks for the details-- I'm ready to see him come up.

Even if going deep into ballgames is a problem, I don't think people realize how much value 5 IP 0-2 ER can have for this team with the bullpen as it is. I'd much rather see Tillman labor through 5 IP allow 1 ER and have 5-7 Ks than see Tommy Hunter go 5 IP, throw only 60 pitches, only to give up 4 runs in the 6th. If anything, Tommy Hunter's pitch efficient ways can be detrimental; it makes it very hard to take a guy out after 5 IP, 0 R allowed when he's only thrown 67 pitches (as against the Mets on Wed.), but that would've been the right move (I've said for a while Tommy should not be allowed to go past 5 IP regardless of results).

Tillman, on the other hand, isn't likely to be a ticking time bomb; if he gives us 5 good IP at 100 pitches, that's not ideal, but it's a hell of a lot more valuable than 6 IP 5 ER at 75 pitches. If he gets past 5, it will mean he's on his game and likely to do better in the 6th and 7th, not do worse.

Hunter to the pen, Tillman to the rotation, Gregg DFA'd. Makes too much sense.

I'm not really understanding the difference if they can both go 5 innings while keeping the team in the game. I mean, why is Tillman more valuable at 5 innings 100 pitches than Hunter at 5 innings 70 pitches if the results are comparable?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm not really understanding the difference if they can both go 5 innings while keeping the team in the game. I mean, why is Tillman more valuable at 5 innings 100 pitches than Hunter at 5 innings 70 pitches if the results are comparable?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

You missed the point; the point is that even if Tillman is only giving us 5 IP he's more valuable than Hunter as a starter. When I say he's a ticking time bomb I mean he can go off at any moment: it's not always after 5 IP (in fact he's actually worse the 2nd time through the lineup than the 3rd). The point about the pitches is anticipating people's complaints about Tillman's pitch efficiency (or lack thereof): it's not ideal, but it's better to throw 5 IP 1 ER on 100 pitches than 6 IP 5 ER on 75 pitches.

Archived