Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

You missed the point; the point is that even if Tillman is only giving us 5 IP he's more valuable than Hunter as a starter. When I say he's a ticking time bomb I mean he can go off at any moment: it's not always after 5 IP (in fact he's actually worse the 2nd time through the lineup than the 3rd). The point about the pitches is anticipating people's complaints about Tillman's pitch efficiency (or lack thereof): it's not ideal, but it's better to throw 5 IP 1 ER on 100 pitches than 6 IP 5 ER on 75 pitches.

Point taken, keep in mind that Tillman has dominated AAA at a much younger age, and has been just as volatile if not worse than Hunter has in the Majors.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roch tweeted this:

"AAA Norfolk pitcher Chris Tillman drawing a significant amount of interest from other teams. #orioles like him, too. Much better FB command."

Good to hear a noted improvement that our team and other teams are noticing, not just in the numbers. I think he survived in his younger years with his pure stuff. This time around, it seems like an improvement really has been made and it's good to see Roch confirm this.

I'll be skeptical until he strings a few good ones together at the big league level.

Roch tweeted this:

"AAA Norfolk pitcher Chris Tillman drawing a significant amount of interest from other teams. #orioles like him, too. Much better FB command."

Good to hear a noted improvement that our team and other teams are noticing, not just in the numbers. I think he survived in his younger years with his pure stuff. This time around, it seems like an improvement really has been made and it's good to see Roch confirm this.

I'll be skeptical until he strings a few good ones together at the big league level.

Truth is, I don't think he's really had very good stuff for a while. I'm not surprised teams are interested, and I suspect it has to do with the fact that he's sitting ~3 MPH higher with his FB this year. Tillman was never going to be successful sitting at 89-91. Now that he's at 90-94 (from reports) there's the potential for sustained ML success.

Truth is, I don't think he's really had very good stuff for a while. I'm not surprised teams are interested, and I suspect it has to do with the fact that he's sitting ~3 MPH higher with his FB this year. Tillman was never going to be successful sitting at 89-91. Now that he's at 90-94 (from reports) there's the potential for sustained ML success.

That isn't it at all. Tillman's fastball is pretty straight. 89 or 93 major league hitters will kill a straight fastball if you can't locate. If he can hit his spots then he can get outs.

I agree. Good post.

Yep. His raw stuff when he first came was impressive IMO. Straight FB or not, he threw it at 95 pretty consistently and showed flashes of plus off speed offerings with his change and curve. Command ultimately was his undoing.

If he has learned how to pitch (like Hammel) then he certainly has what it takes to get it done.

That isn't it at all. Tillman's fastball is pretty straight. 89 or 93 major league hitters will kill a straight fastball if you can't locate. If he can hit his spots then he can get outs.

I disagree, C_o_C. You're right, his FB is pretty straight, but those few MPH do matter, just as command does. The fact is, he needed to gain one and regain the other. He's working at it - who knows if he'll provide value. I'm, as always, optimistic.

Yep. His raw stuff when he first came was impressive IMO. Straight FB or not, he threw it at 95 pretty consistently and showed flashes of plus off speed offerings with his change and curve. Command ultimately was his undoing.

If he has learned how to pitch (like Hammel) then he certainly has what it takes to get it done.

I don't think Tillman's ever sat at 95. And he's not sitting at 95 now. But it appears he's pretty solid at 92-93 with a little bit more to go to as the game goes on.

I disagree, C_o_C. You're right, his FB is pretty straight, but those few MPH do matter, just as command does. The fact is, he needed to gain one and regain the other. He's working at it - who knows if he'll provide value. I'm, as always, optimistic.

Not saying velocity is irrelevant, just that the key is fastball command. Command alone will do more for you then velocity alone, at least at the ML level.

Not saying velocity is irrelevant, just that the key is fastball command. Command alone will do more for you then velocity alone, at least at the ML level.

Right. Both matter. If Tillman were commanding an 89MPH FB, interest would be diminished. Command will be what determines MLB success, but given his lack of movement, commanding a straight 89MPH FB mostly means he's Josh Towers.

How is there room for Hunter in the 'pen when Lindstrom comes back?

I'd send Hunter back to Norfolk and let him work exclusively on command and keeping the ball down. He's effective when he keeps the ball down, but it seems like he can't do it repeatedly.

Bring Tillman up and let's see what he's got.

CHRIS TILLMAN O(June 27th)

IP:O 0

H:o. 0

R:O. 0

BB:. 0

SO:. 0

Pitches: 00 (00 Strikes, 00 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.76

Steve Melewski writes

Mike Griffin Quote : "About two side sessions before he started this roll that he's on now, I could tell everything was starting to click. I just started to see the fastball command get better consistency and saw his curveball get better consistency from start to start," Griffin said.

"Right now, his fastball is on a good downhill plane with late life and he's very aggressive in the strike zone with four pitches and has a good four-pitch mix lately. I'm knocking on wood that he can continue on this roll because I feel very good where he is at right now."

So what happened or changed for the better recently for Tillman?

"The command. Basically the overall command of four pitches. I see his curveball now with better 12-6 depth to it than I've seen in the past. The cutter has had better consistency than earlier in the year. Those combined with his fastball and changeup have made him better from pitch-to-pitch," Griffin said.

Tillman is 7-8 with a 3.76 ERA overall for the Tides. He has walked 29 and fanned 85 in 83 2/3 innings. Lefty batters are hitting .229 against him and right-handed batters are hitting .277.

Steve Melewski writes:

Mike Griffin Quote: "About two side sessions before he started this roll that he's on now, I could tell everything was starting to click. I just started to see the fastball command get better consistency and saw his curve-ball get better consistency from start to start," Griffin said.

"Right now, his fastball is on a good downhill plane with late life and he's very aggressive in the strike zone with four pitches and has a good four-pitch mix lately. I'm knocking on wood that he can continue on this roll because I feel very good where he is at right now."

So what happened or changed for the better recently for Tillman?

"The command. Basically the overall command of four pitches. I see his curve-ball now with better 12-6 depth to it than I've seen in the past. The cutter has had better consistency than earlier in the year. Those combined with his fastball and change-up have made him better from pitch-to-pitch," Griffin said.

Tillman is 7-8 with a 3.76 ERA overall for the Tides. He has walked 29 and fanned 85 in 83 2/3 innings. Lefty batters are hitting .229 against him and right-handed batters are hitting .277.

Bring back the Pistol !!! :cool:

Archived