Tillman Tonight

OFFNY

It always seems like there's a "but" after a Tillman outing.

Probably because folks are generally looking for them.

He's not going to come up and be a savior. He's a flawed prospect, who's bounced around. But he's been effective at the MiLB level, and he's showing better stuff than he did in the past. If we want to find excuses to doubt him, I'm not sure what the point is - doubt is already high. If we want to find excuses not to bring him up, that's not a very good one.

As I posted earlier, he's at 15.8 pitches per inning over his last seven starts. Not that big a deal.*

*Save for the 5IP monsoon start.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It always seems like there's a "but" after a Tillman outing.

There's a "but" after Hunter's or Matusz" outings too, like "Yeah, looked like he had good stuff but he gave up 13 hits," or "He was great until the third time through the order but then he couldn't keep the ball down any more and gave up five runs in the 6th." Which "but" would you rather have?

There's a "but" after Hunter's or Matusz" outings too, like "Yeah, looked like he had good stuff but he gave up 13 hits," or "He was great until the third time through the order, but then he couldn't keep the ball down any more and gave up five runs in the 6th." Which "but" would you rather have ?

I'd rather have Tillman's but.

.......... ehhhhhh, on second thought, nevermind. :o:leaving:

Probably because folks are generally looking for them.

He's not going to come up and be a savior. He's a flawed prospect, who's bounced around. But he's been effective at the MiLB level, and he's showing better stuff than he did in the past. If we want to find excuses to doubt him, I'm not sure what the point is - doubt is already high. If we want to find excuses not to bring him up, that's not a very good one.

As I posted earlier, he's at 15.8 pitches per inning over his last seven starts. Not that big a deal.*

*Save for the 5IP monsoon start.

I don't fall into the category of someone looking for reasons not to bring Tillman up. I just have concerns as to whether he'll be able to get into the 6th inning consistently, which has been a problem in the past. He still may be a better option than some of the pitchers currently in our rotation.

Good news in terms of a solid outing, but 96 pitches in 5.2 is disappointing.

I'm not that disappointed with it. 96 pitches, would have definately kept rolling if he was in the majors most likely. If all 5 of our starters could give us 6 full innings of 1 run ball, and have our bullpen throw 3 innings to close out the game, I think you'd be very happy about that.

And it's not like he struggled with his pitch count all game. It was the 1st inning that killed him and then he settled down nicely.

I don't fall into the category of someone looking for reasons not to bring Tillman up. I just have concerns as to whether he'll be able to get into the 6th inning consistently, which has been a problem in the past. He still may be a better option than some of the pitchers currently in our rotation.

Given the state of our bullpen, the bolded is the take-away here, I think.

Also, in addition to the points others have made in Tillman's favor (good recovery after the 1st inning, 100 pitches 6 IP not too bad) I'd add that 65 strikes-30 balls is a pretty solid ratio.

Good news in terms of a solid outing, but 96 pitches in 5.2 is disappointing.

In the majors they would probably stretch him out to 105 and complete the inning.

Being able to go 6 innings with a line like that: I'll take it.

Hand it off to O'Day in the 7th, Strop in the 8th, Johnson in the 9th.

There's a "but" after Hunter's or Matusz" outings too, like "Yeah, looked like he had good stuff but he gave up 13 hits," or "He was great until the third time through the order but then he couldn't keep the ball down any more and gave up five runs in the 6th." Which "but" would you rather have?

Anyone who said Matusz had "good stuff" on Tuesday was crazy or imaginary.

Anyone who said Matusz had "good stuff" on Tuesday was crazy or imaginary.

It was more of a general statement to the apologists. I, too, am guilty of it with Arrieta, but when he was moved to the bullpen I thought he should have been moved down. The difference is with Tillman once he regained the velocity last year after being sent down I have always thought he had the talent just maybe lacked maturity. Like some others have said repeatedly re: him....patience.

I think we are starting to see him develop at a different pace with DD changing up a few things like the addition of Peterson. Griffin also seems satisfied with how he's developing. I have contended the back and forth due to the O's lack of depth hurt Tillman's development last year, but we did see flashes of what he could do.

Anybody notice he went to the umpire after the first inning? Radio announcers thought maybe he was questioning some missed strike calls. Thats a good sign. He's invested and knows that he may be getting the call soon, but he also didn't let it affect him for the remainder of the game.

His last start in Norfolk....

Maybe not:

Chris Tillman has been scratched Monday at Triple-A Norfolk and could be on his way to Baltimore.

The O's need a starter for Wednesday, and Tillman seems likely to be the guy. He's registered a 2.88 ERA over his last 10 starts at Norfolk and makes for a decent streaming option in AL-only fantasy league

http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4678/chris-tillman

Archived