I have returned (with info on Roberts)

DiggetyDon

You might very well be right here. Another situation where the O's have to wait on another player. Do you think that if the Cubbies get Fukudome, then maybe Pie becomes more tradeable? Pie/Gallagher would be a great get.

Diggety Don mentioned they may go after Blanton and my guess is, that means they want to save Pie for him.

Now, obviously he isn't as good as Blanton but what if we included DCab in this???

Would a DCab and BRob for Pie, Gallagher and Veal trade work??

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Diggety Don mentioned they may go after Blanton and my guess is, that means they want to save Pie for him.

Now, obviously he isn't as good as Blanton but what if we included DCab in this???

Hate to say it, but I'm not sure a team looking to compete can go into the season with DCab in the rotation.

I've never seen Gallagher pitch. Based strictly on his numbers, I personally am not that impressed. However, the source I like to rely on for minor league players has nice things to say about him:

7B means he has a 70% probability of being an average regular.

For the record, this is what they say about Patterson:

8C means he has a 50% probability of being a Solid Regular.

What don't you like??? Good K rate, decent BB rate and good HR rate...And he has been young for his leagues.

Stuff seems very good and if he can get his changeup in line, he could be a top of the rotation guy.

To be honest, after doing some more research on him, I am higher on him now than i was before.

Two points. It's total conjecture that Pie isn't in their plans. Most likely, Fukodome would play RF, with Pie in CF, and DeRosa as a super utility guy. JMO

Second point. DaveArm actually thinks he is the GM of the Cubs.

Well, other than the early mention as being off the table, he doesn't get mentioned in the batting order listed or as a RF or CF candidate. I found that an odd omission. They are built to win now. Perhaps he isnt ready yet in their eyes. Lou likes veterans anyway, I think.

But, yeah- I am reading into it what I want to be the truth. :D

If the Cubs acquired Roberts and signed Fukudome, they could have a potential regular lineup of Roberts, Theriot, Derrek Lee, Soriano, Aramis Ramirez, Fukudome, DeRosa and Geovany Soto. They would have speed at the top of the order, Soriano's power in the middle, and a more athletic outfield.

At this point, it's all just rumors. But if the Cubs can pull off a couple of key moves in the next few weeks, it could turn a quiet off-season into a big one. Piniella said Wednesday that Hendry "promised me by Christmas I'll be very happy." Roberts and Fukudome might just be the Christmas presents Piniella is dreaming about.

This is a fair return on Roberts but I hold off on making this deal until after Bedard is traded. If we get a RF, I do what I have to do to get Pie in the deal, assuming the Cubs sign Fukudome it shouldn't be impossible.

I don't understand the comment about Pie being unavailavble unless the Orioles add a SP prospect to the deal. Who would we add thats better than Gallagher? Why couldn't you just take him out and put Pie in and be in the same situation? Obviously you'd need someone other than Murton in that scenario so the Cubs still have outfielders.

I am with you here...I don't understand it either.

DCab seems to make sense for only 2 types of teams. The first is a team that is really strong at pitching and could experiment with him as a 5th starter (I'm thinking Boston or LA Dodgers) or a really young team that can work through his stuff (I'm thinking O's with Kranitz or a Marlins type organization. I'm not sure the Cubbies would gamble on him.

Seems like a waste of time to even discuss this trade. Does anybody seriously think Peter will ok trading B- Rob?

Yes, for three reasons:

1. He's giving MacPhail more autonomy than the prior GM's.

2. The team is losing and he needs to do something.

3. We tried to sign Roberts for longer last winter and he would only commit to 2 years, so we know he's gone after 2009 unless the team improves greatly.

As to Murton, he is nothing great but he is a big upgrade over what we've had in LF the last several seasons. His best years should be in front of him. If he's the second piece in a three-piece offer, that's not bad.

Here is BA's take(summarized) on Gallagher, also from their 2007 PH:

1) Great fastball command...Can put his fastball wherever he wants to.

2) His fastball went from 88-90 in 2005 to 90-94 in 2006.

3) Curveball remains his best pitch.

4) Improved changeup

5) Ceiling of a #3 starter

6) Needs to watch his weight but is a good athlete.

7) Good mindset on the mound.

I know Gallagher is a young guy, but it strikes me as odd that his fastball would make that much of a jump. My sense is that pitchers typically add command, movement, and guile as they age, but not typically speed to their fastball.

I know radar guns are infamously fickle and non-uniform, but that still strikes me as unusual.

By the way, anyone know what he topped out with this past year?

For the most part, Patterson was pretty solid as far as OBP is concerned, he did have that one lousy year, but seemed to rebound making it only a misstep. He's got a great speed, I think he was successful at about a 77% clip, (scratch that, includes his college ball) and has at least a little bit of pop in his bat. Doesn't look like a bad player to me, same goes for Gallagher. Murton seems a little meh, I'd rather get another prospect if we do this deal.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/P/eric-patterson.shtml

People are high on Gallagher now I thought he was just another "throw away"

But anyway I take that epat murton and gallagher deal now

Why take it now ?

We have nothing to lose by waiting.

We can only gain by waiting for several reasons.

1) If we deal for Kemp for LF, there isn't a big need for Murton.

2) Once we deal Bedard and Miggy- we will know which holes still need to be filled.

3) Cubs up their offer to include Pie.

Archived