Interesting tweet from Denver Bundy

CamdenTerp

Not sure implying that Rick Peterson needed to pull his head out of the sand is something he should be saying on twitter.

Maybe not, but his comments from Tuesday/Wednesday certainly appear to have achieved (or at least not interfered with) his intended result.

Denver Bundy is not some emo teen with no idea of the repercussions of social media. He can play these games - he is not employed by the Orioles (or even affiliated with MLB) and there's no way they can reasonably hold Bobby/Dylan responsible for the actions and comments of their father.

Meanwhile, the last thing the O's want is word getting out that poor player development choices have disgruntled the Bundy family (or running the risk that they are genuinely disgruntled). When Dylan gains more notoriety, this would be a hot topic - even this thread has generated 6 pages of discussion in 2 days.

Coincidence or not, the Bundy camp flung dirt and the Orioles almost immediately made the necessary moves to appease them. The roles have been set. Don't think for a second that this won't come into play down the road.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, the Rick Peterson tweet doesn't look that bad. I think this is a reference to the Orioles going to 6 man rotations not Dylan being promoted. If that is the case, seems to me that isn't a big deal because he believes most teams to have their heads in the sand.

It doesn't matter what it's referring to, it implies that Peterson didn't know what he was doing or was doing something wrong. Voicing those opinions on Twitter is childish.

Maybe not, but his comments from Tuesday/Wednesday certainly appear to have achieved (or at least not interfered with) his intended result.

You're really making some assumptions here. I doubt the organization is going to make decisions about their best prospect based on what his father says on twitter.

It doesn't matter what it's referring to, it implies that Peterson didn't know what he was doing or was doing something wrong. Voicing those opinions on Twitter

Actually, you can read the offending tweet to mean that he thinks either Rick Peterson or someone else from the Orioles got the Orioles to pull their heads out of the ground. This could be complimentary to Peterson which goes along well with the later tweet. Of course, the earlier tweet referring to a pitching guru is not easily explained.

I tend to agree that this isn't the best way for Denver to go about things.

Do you think there is any value to the notion of easing him into living on his own and other life changes outside of baseball? Remember he was a high school kid that's never lived on his own.

I believe that DB has been bored out of his mind dominating Low A hitters for three to five inning clips with strict pitch count limits for nearly two months.

This is a special pitching prospect and the Os have been acting in a deliberate, control freak type manner that few, if any, other elite pitching prospects have been subject to. If the Os believe this is best for DB's development, I can give some latitude to see their methods pay off (and I have historically given quite a lot of latitude to our FO for their decisions), but this development program borders on the bizarre as does the decision to start him off at a level that has had about the same or less success than the HS hitters DB faced last year.

Assuming these tweets are from DB's father, it is my uninformed opinion that the father's tweets reflect the son's frustrations.

I believe that DB has been bored out of his mind dominating Low A hitters for three to five inning clips with strict pitch count limits for nearly two months.

This is a special pitching prospect and the Os have been acting in a deliberate, control freak type manner that few, if any, other elite pitching prospects have been subject to. If the Os believe this is best for DB's development, I can give some latitude to see their methods pay off (and I have historically given quite a lot of latitude to our FO for their decisions), but this development program borders on the bizarre as does the decision to start him off at a level that has had about the same or less success than the HS hitters DB faced last year.

Assuming these tweets are from DB's father, it is my uninformed opinion that the father's tweets reflect the son's frustrations.

That is an exaggeration. Bundy is still 2-3 years younger then the average age of pitchers and hitters in this league. You are acting as if the O's started him off in the FSL.

To me, this whole A ballers "catching up with the change up" idea is very suspect. If Bundy is throwing 96, 97, 98 for strikes and then follows up with a good change up, then there's no way your typical A ball hitter is going to "catch up". If it's a GOOD change up, then they are going to be way out ahead of the pitch. Low A ball hitters should be MORE susceptible to a good fastball - change up combination, not less susceptible. And if he only threw like two change ups all night, then how does he even know if it was hittable? Talk about small sample size. Anyway, I just don't buy this "catch up with the change up" idea. If they were hitting his change ups, then it's much more likely that his change up was mediocre or he was telegraphing the pitch. The catch up idea makes it sound like they were swinging hard thinking it was a fastball and then accidentally hit the change up. Sounds like baloney.
Stephen Strasburg telegraphed his change up to me while at AA. He has done pretty good.

That is an exaggeration. Bundy is still 2-3 years younger then the average age of pitchers and hitters in this league. You are acting as if the O's started him off in the FSL.

Now THAT would be impressive -- creating a second HiA affiliate in a different league specifically for Bundy!!

Taillon, Shelby Miller, Josh Beckett, Tyle Matzek, all pitched in Low a Ball in their first full seasons. Sure, the O's have been conservative by starting him there and the innings thing is their plan to keep him pitching all year and keep him under his innings limit. I think "borders on the BIZARRE" is just way over the top. Conservative. Err on the side of caution. Guilty. I'll take err on the side of caution with someone I've invested 6M in. He's pitched 30 innings and we are 6-7 weeks into the season. His career has hardly been derailed and his growth has hardly been stunted. Would you have him skip Frederick entirely? Is there anything to learn there?

People are just getting too caught up in the hype.

Dylan Bundy isn't Shelby Miller. Age matters but at the end of the day it's just a number and you have to treat people and starting pitching prospects as individuals. Every scout when Bundy was coming out of HS said he was more comparable to an elite college arm. Elite college arms tend to start at double - A, HiA at worst. They don't get left in LowA for two months.

Dylan Bundy isn't Shelby Miller. Age matters but at the end of the day it's just a number and you have to treat people and starting pitching prospects as individuals. Every scout when Bundy was coming out of HS said he was more comparable to an elite college arm. Elite college arms tend to start at double - A, HiA at worst. They don't get left in LowA for two months.

Very few college arms start at AA.

What amazes me about this thread is the number of people rising to the defense of the Orioles' management.

We've had 14 straight losing seasons and a horrible record at developing talent during that time. And just about

all of us have been critical or Oriole management, often. Yet now we get upset when someone who has a bigger stake

than we ever will in the Orioles getting it right is critical of them, it seems like the vast majority of people suddenly leap

to their defense?

Archived