Gausman is on the mound now, ESPN2

Frobby

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair to Gausman, he is only a sophmore, and I think last years draft class distorts what was available this year somewhat. Gausman may not have even been in the top 10 last year. Not every year can you get a Dylan Bundy at pick #4.

He's already 21 years old despite being a sophomore.

Who did you prefer?
Who should we have picked?

Lincecum over Rowell was a no-brainer ....... 6 years after the fact.

Give any of the Gausman doubters until about 2017 or 2018 ....... then, they'll let you know who we should have picked.

You should take into account that Stony Brook can really hit the baseball and they do a really good job of making the pitcher throw strikes. He gave up 6 hits and 4 of them were in that on/off again rain storm in the third. Two of the hits in that inning were not hit well at all. I can tell you from experience that trying to throw a change up in the rain is REALLY hard.

The homer was a high fly ball right down the right field line that went 340 feet. It wasn't exactly smoked. It would have been a can of corn between straight away left through to straight away right.

His change up was pretty darn impressive. He had good downward plane on his fastball. He has a clue on how to pitch. I like his motion. Real long, but very repeatable. He has room to fill out and gain some more velocity. I think some of you are being entirely too tough on the guy. I was happy with what I saw.

This. I can't imagine every scout would be wrong about this guy.

Despite not having a dominant performance today, Gausman looked 100 times better than Appell in his last start!

I also wonder about the espn radar gun. They stated that the pitcher from Stoney Brook threw mid to upper 80's, but the gun had him around 82-83. In that regard, it had both pitchers about 4-5 mph under their normal stuff.

I watched the Stoney Brook - LSU game and have to admit I wasn't particularly impressed with Glausman. The weather had to have a negative effect, but a lot of Glausman's pitches were hit really hard. One game is meaningless, but I still have doubts.

My draft pick would have been Mark Appel, but.........http://www.timesheraldonline.com/sports/ci_20820323/stanfords-appel-rocked-by-florida-state Like I said, one game means nothing.

Lincecum over Rowell was a no-brainer ....... 6 years after the fact.

Give any of the Gausman doubters until about 2017 or 2018 ....... then, they'll let you know who we should have picked.

One advantage of the Hobgood pick is it only took a season or so to realize a huge mistake in fact had been made.

I was hoping for Correa. Is that alright with you guys?

So would I, but he wasn't available. Gausman was the next name on my personal, ill-informed board.

You should take into account that Stony Brook can really hit the baseball and they do a really good job of making the pitcher throw strikes. He gave up 6 hits and 4 of them were in that on/off again rain storm in the third. Two of the hits in that inning were not hit well at all. I can tell you from experience that trying to throw a change up in the rain is REALLY hard.

The homer was a high fly ball right down the right field line that went 340 feet. It wasn't exactly smoked. It would have been a can of corn between straight away left through to straight away right.

I

His change up was pretty darn impressive. He had good downward plane on his fastball. He has a clue on how to pitch. I like his motion. Real long, but very repeatable. He has room to fill out and gain some more velocity. I think some of you are being entirely too tough on the guy. I was happy with what I saw.

I defer to you, of course. I mentioned that the rain seemed to bother Gausman.

I'm rooting for the underdog Stony Brook tomorrow. Very appealing team.

I was hoping for Correa. Is that alright with you guys?

I give you a lot of credit for coming out with it now. :cool:

A greenie from me, and we'll just wait and see how the both pan out in the future.

One advantage of the Hobgood pick is it only took a season or so to realize a huge mistake in fact had been made.

So would I, but he wasn't available. Gausman was the next name on my personal, ill-informed board.

Admittedly, I didn't do as much research this year as I had in years past. Normally I read a lot of scouting reports, watch some videos, etc.

I just haven't been over impressed with what I've read so far. How does he compare to Bundy?

Archived