Prediction: Matusz and Arrieta will be traded before July 31st.

Flacco Machado

I think at this point its safe to say Tillman is a goner. My assumption is that he hasn't been brought up to only get knocked around and hurt his trade value. I'd love to keep all of Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton but I could stomach losing one of the three if the trade is right.

Kinda off topic but I'm willing to bet that any trade with the Cubs gives us sole possession of Flaherty so he can be sent down.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
More overrated then Arrieta's fastball? Or Britton's sinker that he can't reliably throw for strikes against ML hitters?

Yeah, I'd say Arrieta's fastball is wildly overrated here.

Britton's is better, too many people can't see beyond a radar gun.

There's a clear disagreement here and part of that his Matusz's changeup. It is (and was IMO) the most overrated pitch here on OH. It clearly is worse than it was but I don't think it was ever as good (think Cole Hamels) as people think.

No, I don't think it's the best CU in the game, like Hamels is, nor was it ever. It was Matusz best pitch and probably graded out in the 65 range or so imo. Now he's afraid to throw it almost. If he can tweak his mechanics and rediscover his change, he'll have a long career as a midrotation starter. I don't think he has that TOR upside.

I think at this point its safe to say Tillman is a goner. My assumption is that he hasn't been brought up to only get knocked around and hurt his trade value. I'd love to keep all of Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton but I could stomach losing one of the three if the trade is right.

Kinda off topic but I'm willing to bet that any trade with the Cubs gives us sole possession of Flaherty so he can be sent down.

I don't think its safe to make any assumption to be honest.

I'm not sure what people have said about Arrieta's fastball. It's good. His command has been much better over his last two starts when he simplified his mechanics.

It is good. It is not the overwhelming pitch that some folks think it is. Whenever Arrieta is pitching well folks wax poetic over his stuff.

I don't think its safe to make any assumption to be honest.

Well yeah, you're right. The only reason I say that is because Hunter has continually been sent to the mound when its pretty clear he is not going to keep the O's in the game. Why not bring up Tillman in his place? He didn't start the season well but sure has seemed like a better option than Hunter the past month or so.

Well yeah, you're right. The only reason I say that is because Hunter has continually been sent to the mound when its pretty clear he is not going to keep the O's in the game. Why not bring up Tillman in his place? He didn't start the season well but sure has seemed like a better option than Hunter the past month or so.

Hunter doesn't have any options left.

Maybe. I think Tillman will be up here pretty soon honestly.

Then I got nothin for why Hunter is still up.

As a start you might as well have bullpen by committee cause Hunter won't give you more then four quality innings.

Well, he gives more innings than Arrieta and Matusz, with about the same production, so let's not act like he's leaps and bounds worse than those two.

If either Matusz or Arrieta is traded for anyone other than a similar-level, similar-ceiling third-baseman, I'll be calling for Duquette's head. Like it or not, those guys along with the other cavalry guys are *still* our best chance for creating a sustained winning team in Baltimore. As we are built, we are *NOT* a playoff team. Trading up for an extra win or three by the end of the year is not going to get us there, and it jeopardizes our future. Do what it takes to get some mid-level veteran talent to plug the SP and or 3B holes on the team, but do not trade the farm or the cavalry to do it. It would be the equivalent of taking the Oriole Bird and dressing him in pinstripes, dropping him in West Baltimore at about 12:30 AM on a warm summer night, lacing his breathing apparatus with LSD, and telling him that he needs to catch the wooly mammoth before it catches him.

I know it seems like matusz and arrieta are the future, but I really don't see it. We have a decent core and with Bundy and machado getting closer, along with new pitcher we just drafted, I think we should start with them and keep building the system from here. These guys tthat are here now just wont cut it. I'm glad DD is going to be a buyer. Trade the players who.haven't worked out and cash in while they have some value. I think we have a good bit for the future, plus we are.still going to keep drafting. Just need to be smart for now on. Get trades done that give us a shot at the playoffs. If we do I'm sure everyone will change their mind. Just like all the bad moves DD made this off season

Archived